• Early NSD '22

#47830  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:42 pm
The Twitter post is prettier to look at…

#47831  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:49 pm
My way too early hot take:

In a world where the transfer portal adds a completely different element to recruiting, Furman has done what it typically does under Hendrix - compiles a solid class.

QB: Carson Jones looks like an impressive pickup. Excellent passer and though he may compete for playing time early, Furman doesn't have to rush him as a freshman.

RB: Jayquan Smith looks like a dude. Furman continues their trend of getting big powerful running backs.

Furman did graduate two RBs (Wynn and McElveen), so it wouldn't shock me to see another commit here for February.

OL: Furman has done well recruiting along the OL. They hit on each of the three positions up front, taking an OT, C, and OG. Lyons is an interest prospect. He doesn't fit Furman's traditional mold, but looks like a mauler inside.

DL: Defensive line was hit the hardest by graduation (Stokes, Lawrence, and Lewis). Furman got two. Both look fast and aggressive. There's also not much need for them to play right away given some of the returning depth. It wouldn't surprise me to see another commit here in the spring.

ILB: Chiedo has some impressive offers from P5 and good G5 programs. He's already got a big physical frame and adds to an already impressive depth chart at inside lineabacker.

DB: Furman graduated three DBs (Blackshear, Clay, and Domino) and signed three. McLeod is a giant at 6'2 180 and like an excellent athlete. Ingram is also a highly recruited kid who looks like a do-everything type athlete that may also help us in the kick return game.
Davemeister liked this
 #47832  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:51 pm
Going forward, we obviously had a WR drop out last minute, so I would certainly expect us to hone in on one of those targets.

We took two TEs in the last class and didn't lose any players off that depth chart, so maybe we'll stand by there.

I'd also expect us to locate another DL/pass rusher type.

With the addition of Chiedo as an ILB, it wouldn't surprise me to see Furman utilize some of that depth and spread guys into either the SPUR or Bandit role.
 #47849  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:03 pm
Just sniffing around . . .

Samford - 5 of 7 signees are transfers. Two from JuCos.

Wofford - 8 players. Two JuCos.

UTC - 3 players. 1 JuCo.

WCU - 10 players. 8 from Florida, oddly.

ETSU - 1 player. Guess the coaching change had an effect.

Mercer - I count 14 players and 11 from Georgia.
 #47853  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:03 pm
Just sniffing around . . .

Samford - 5 of 7 signees are transfers. Two from JuCos. - Seems on brand, but Mrs. Hatcher prolly not happy about them bringing in 2 QB’s. Her son was the 1st QB off the bench this year. Bet she’s gonna give their Head Coach a piece of her mind and that’s all.

Wofford - 8 players. Two JuCos. - Think they got 4 JUCO’s last year…not sure becoming the revival of 90’s WCU is working out well for them

UTC - 3 players. 1 JuCo. - prolly waiting on some PortalDenizens to figure out that Chatt is the best offer they are going to get and settle

WCU - 10 players. 8 from Florida, oddly. - C’mon…wait…are you being sarcastic?

ETSU - 1 player. Guess the coaching change had an effect. - so net of -2 with their Transfers/Draft declarers

Mercer - I count 14 players and 11 from Georgia. - Right on point in mathematics & geography. Furman grad, ain’t ya? Oops…gotta take that back. Mercer had a late add from FL. So…15, but still 11from GA (2 from FL, 1 from AL, and 1 from NC)
FUBeAR opines above
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
wcugrad95 liked this
 #47869  by Furmanoid
 Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:43 am
I read that Jackson State got a 5 star. Shows that kids will drop to FCS if the money is right. Hope our big money guys are paying attention. Heck, maybe the UFFP could pool some money and at least buy a 4 star.
 #47872  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:49 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:43 am
I read that Jackson State got a 5 star. Shows that kids will drop to FCS if the money is right. Hope our big money guys are paying attention. Heck, maybe the UFFP could pool some money and at least buy a 4 star.
Sorry, FUBeAR’s $3M (the reported ‘package’…reported to FUBeAR by an insider…that Travis Hunter rec’d) of discretionary funds, is all tied up in long-term Crypto futures.
 #47875  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:16 pm
I am very grateful for each and every one of the new signees, and I wish them tremendous success at Furman, in every possible way. I am very grateful also for our coaches and for all the hard work that went into their successful recruitment of these 11 new Paladins. I am thankful that we got at least our one signee from South Carolina. I am always glad to see South Carolina players choose Furman. I am thankful also for the 1 each from GA, NC, TX, and QC; the 2 from FL; and the 3 from TN. Again, I wish all 11 of them tremendous success at Furman, in every possible way.
 #47885  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:50 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:16 pm
I am very grateful for each and every one of the new signees, and I wish them tremendous success at Furman, in every possible way. I am very grateful also for our coaches and for all the hard work that went into their successful recruitment of these 11 new Paladins. I am thankful that we got at least our one signee from South Carolina. I am always glad to see South Carolina players choose Furman. I am thankful also for the 1 each from GA, NC, TX, and QC; the 2 from FL; and the 3 from TN. Again, I wish all 11 of them tremendous success at Furman, in every possible way.
I thought Clay Hendrix's comments were a nice contrast to Josh Conklin at Wofford.

Hendrix talked about "identifying and recruiting" these kids. Conklin noted that they "found" transfers and are looking to add more.

I realize I'm slanted, but Furman is building a roster through relationships and talent development. A lot of our conference mates are trying to get rich quick, and it's an approach I think will eventually backfire.
 #47888  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:50 pm
A lot of our conference mates are trying to get rich quick, and it's an approach I think will eventually backfire.
In this rare case, FUBeAR doesn’t want to disagree with you & wishes he didn’t have to…but FUBeAR thinks you aren’t entirely correct in these days & times.

FUBeAR thinks all College & particularly FCS Coaches need to adjust their thinking / recruiting / Team culture-building to account for a potentially truncated time-in-program horizon for every Player in the program. Thinking that planning time-line needs to be reduced from 4-5 years to 2-3…and if they stay beyond 2 or 3, that’s a bonus. Less time to develop kids and less time to get them ingrained in a culture. Makes less sense to recruit kids who you think are going to need a Redshirt year and a year of seasoning before they can contribute as Starters. Most problematic in the O-Line from the development standpoint & at QB from the ‘must start now’ standpoint. JUCO’s or maybe recruiting really outstanding, proven D3 (or PFL) kids (that were overlooked / not ready 2 years earlier) needs to be ‘on the table’ now for O-Linemen and the ‘system’ needs to be ready to plug & play QB’s ‘from the outside’ immediately and look at them as 1-year, possibly ‘renewable’ ‘assets.’

Lots of change…but thinking that more than 4 or 5 Transfers & no JUCO’s will ruin a Team, as many/most of us have thought in the past, just doesn’t apply anymore. The kids & HS Coaches ‘get it’ too. The old “we’re not gonna send any of our kids to your program cuz you’re just gonna recruit over them with Transfers and/or JUCO’s” is no longer a thing.

Hate it…but that’s where we are.

That said…Wofford does suck & Conklin is WAY desperate to win enough games in 2022 to get some P or G 5 to hire him as a DC or even a Position Coach.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bj93 liked this
 #47889  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:16 pm
FUBeAR speaks the truth. When top programs like Clempson are losing double digit players you know its the new norm. It’s almost a status symbol now “I have decided to enter the transfer portal”.
 #47894  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:39 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:16 pm
FUBeAR speaks the truth. When top programs like Clempson are losing double digit players you know its the new norm. It’s almost a status symbol now “I have decided to enter the transfer portal”.

I imagine a lot of kids like the attention of being recruited again.
paladinfan12, Paladin82 liked this
 #47896  by Furmanoid
 Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:34 am
Yes kids are going to be addicted to the attention they get from entering the portal. But after hundreds become permanent portal dwellers, portalling for the hell of it may lose its appeal.

But FUBeAR speaks wisely. It is time to reimagine our whole way of evaluating, recruiting and developing players. We have to assume they won’t be around long. OL and DT’s need special strategery because they usually aren’t strong enough coming out of school. Some are, and we need to really hunt for those overlooked guys who only got huge summer before SR year or had other stuff to do and never went to camps to get noticed. Or we could change the offense to use smaller,quicker guys. Otherwise we’ll need to go out and grab grown guys out of DII. In rare cases we might find JUCO guys, but I watched every episode of Last Chance U, and not many guys seemed like the FU type.
 #47897  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:41 am
I do not believe we know enough at this stage to really forecast what the long term effect will be of the transfer portal.

As I've noted, I see no way that every player in the transfer portal can actually transfer somewhere. It may well end up that a lot of these players risk their roster spots and could just as well find themselves out of football.

More to the point, I think this sort of arrangement is pretty common in American sports. This is a dialed back version of free agency - you are beholden to the team that initially selects you for a period of time, at which point you've built enough of a resume to have other teams try to obtain your services.

When you look at the sports landscape, though, there are some teams that have success poaching other teams players and building a winner. More often, though, the better course is the tried and true method - identify, retain, and develop your own players in your own system. When that key piece comes along the pipeline though that takes you up a notch, go do what you can to snag them.