• THROWBACK THURSDAY-DG

#45741  by curiousfan
 Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:19 pm
On this Throw Back Thursday let's all celebrate the success of Furman's own....DARREN GRAINGER, went to FBS Sun Belt East Leading GA STATE University...has now taken over the starting QB spot....has a QB eff rating of 147.9....11TDs/3 Ints...60% completion....80 rushing attempts/374 yards...since taking over the QB position at GSU, their record is now 4-2.....the 6 FOOT 4 INCH athlete has a couple of years left to continue to improve.

Grainger hastily left FU during the winter break (December), while competing against HS for the starting QB job at FU....the coaching staff named two team captains BEFORE the break commenced, basically saying FU to DG....One of the captains named was HS (in the MIDDLE of a QB competition).... we know the rest of the story, Grainer said "Adios"! (see paragraph #1)
Jasper, FU69 liked this
 #45742  by FU3
 Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:39 pm
I have no idea why Grainger left but the success he is having at GA. State says something about our staffs abilities to develop QB’s.From just the eye test it was pretty clear this kid was a special athlete.
 #45750  by fu77fan
 Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:28 pm
I wish the Furman fan base knew the exact reason why Grainger left Furman.
Options could include
1.) The Furman coaches believed that he was not as talented as the competition. If this was the case, then I would not think that our coaches could judge talent.
2.) If it was for another reason that the coaches don’t want us to know, they could say that it was for personal reasons without stating specifics.
I don’t know the answer but wish I did.
 #45752  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:43 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Truly an infinite number of Options could include
1.) The Furman coaches believed that he was not as talented as the competition. If this was the case, then I would not think that our coaches could judge talent.
2.) If it was for another reason that the coaches don’t want us to know, they could say that it was for personal reasons without stating specifics.

….and many, many, many other reasons.

FYP
 #45753  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:53 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:38 pm
What a bad look this is for the FU coaches
The QB competition had little if any to do with him leaving. There is more to the story.
 #45760  by curiousfan
 Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:48 am
fu77fan wrote:
Options could include
I don't know if some people prefer to NOT "see" or "hear" the truth.... There are other things that added to the decision (natural from a collegiate athlete), but FROM DG ...The decision to name HS captain in December, in the middle of an "open" competition was the "writing on the wall" that made him part ways with FU.... In my years of playing, I never knew a 2nd string player (let alone 2nd string QB) be named a captain that quickly.... most would assume that meant HS had won the competition....they named two additional captains after returning from Winter Break.... the smart "business" move would have been to name a QB captain AFTER the competition was deemed over
Jasper, FU69 liked this
 #45761  by Davemeister
 Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:16 am
apaladin wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
The QB competition had little if any to do with him leaving. There is more to the story.
I wish someone who knew the whole story would share it with us.
Paladin575 liked this
 #45776  by FU69
 Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:49 pm
Davemeister wrote:
apaladin wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
I swear I read a quote in the “Fishwrap-G’ville” last spring ....Grainger: “It was obvious to me I was not wanted.” But he expressed no anger nor did he disparage any of the players. :?: More like disappointment or sadness implied.
 #45914  by Davemeister
 Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:36 am
The question is: did DG have to leave Furman as some have implied or did he choose to leave Furman in search of greener pastures. Either way I wish him well.
FU69 liked this
 #45915  by Roundball
 Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:42 am
FU69 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:49 pm
Davemeister wrote:
apaladin wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
I swear I read a quote in the “Fishwrap-G’ville” last spring ....Grainger: “It was obvious to me I was not wanted.” But he expressed no anger nor did he disparage any of the players. :?: More like disappointment or sadness implied.
That quote was never in The Greenville News. As a matter of fact, he never said anything to the media, positive or negative about leaving. We need to let this one go and wish him well.
Davemeister, MNORM, El Guapo liked this
 #46001  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:33 pm
I raised this a few weeks ago regarding Grainger. When you watch what he's doing at GSU, they appear to be utilizing his strengths.

He has the second most carries on the team and third most yards. They run him a bunch.

Passing wise, a bunch of his throws are drops and chunks down field. GSU appears to utilize that by just letting him uncork it.
 #46002  by FU3
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:44 pm
“I raised this a few weeks ago regarding Grainger. When you watch what he's doing at GSU, they appear to be utilizing his strengths.”
And there you have our problem… why was this so easy for them to figure out and seemingly impossible for us. DG is not alone, we better take a hard look at the strengths of our FR QB.
 #46023  by El Guapo
 Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:13 pm
Let it go. Honestly how does such analysis help us now? He’s gone. End of story. Let’s all just take the high road by wishing him well and thanking him for the time he did give us.
 #46035  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:14 am
El Guapo wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:13 pm
Let it go. Honestly how does such analysis help us now? He’s gone. End of story. Let’s all just take the high road by wishing him well and thanking him for the time he did give us.

It isn't.

Georgia State is 4-5. They average 23 ppg, which is really only slightly more than Furman. So, they aren't exactly the Showtime Lakers.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.