• The final 3 games

#45617  by Paul C
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:42 am
I’m gonna say we finish 3-0 and go into the offseason with some confidence. Crazy you say?

Data driven, I say. (That was for my friend gf)

We have an O that is helpless when we can’t run the ball. When we CAN run the ball, we win. We score points, we possesses the ball and our D rests.

Looking at the SoCon stats this morning, it was clear to me….

Chattanooga leads the league in rush D, and ETSU and Mercer are 2 and 3. (We are 4th)

We’ve notched wins over Citadel (5th) and Wofford (6th) best run Ds.

Our final 3 are against Western (8th), Samford (7th) and VMI (9th).

I expect to see us establish the run, throw off play action, score points and our D, given that they’ll have some time to rest as we should avoid repetitive 3 and outs, will play decent ball as they have all year.

Trust the data.
DeepPurple, FUBeAR, Chuckles and 1 others liked this
 #45621  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:59 am
Sounds very possible. The unknown factor is the mindset of the team after CCH quit on Saturday. Will they play hard and give great eftort or have a what the heck attitude. It will be cool in the whee Saturday so CCH will be wanting to get out if there asap. The other factor is all 3 gave really good offenses so we are going to gave to score more than 20 points. WCU scored 17 on UTC we scored 3, WCU scored 24 on Mercer we scored 3.
 #45622  by DeepPurple
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:11 pm
We got whipped Saturday. The better team won. CCH did not quit on Saturday. FU played Chatt a tough game on Saturday. Chatt is the best team in the league. We are not.
 #45623  by Furmanoid
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:19 pm
Maybe we didn’t quit, but we chose not to compete with about 3 min left. That’s unusual. It was realistic, but nobody does that.

Anyway I’m not sure we want results in the last 3 games that send us to off-season with CONFIDENCE in this offense. If that happens, nothing changes.
QCGlue, FU69 liked this
 #45625  by Paul C
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:23 pm
Interested to see how the team responds to the final 3 weeks. I expect to see us continue to work on developing our youth and the reps that Jace will get are critical to his development.

I know Clay well enough to know there isn’t an ounce of quit in him. The decision to punt w 5 min to go may have a logical basis, but as a leader he has to make sure the kids don’t see it as a reason to give up.
DeepPurple, apaladin liked this
 #45627  by Paul C
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:29 pm
One more thing on this topic.

We are 0-4 when rushing for <100 yds
We are 4-0 when rushing for >100 yds
DeepPurple liked this
 #45628  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:06 pm
I have no idea but when is the last time FU has had 4 games with under 100 yds rushing?
 #45629  by Paul C
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:07 pm
I’d speculate in the latter parts of the CBF era.
 #45632  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:57 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Maybe we didn’t quit, but we chose not to compete with about 3 min left. That’s unusual. It was realistic, but nobody does that.

Anyway I’m not sure we want results in the last 3 games that send us to off-season with CONFIDENCE in this offense. If that happens, nothing changes.
Hendrix addressed that.

He didn't want to get players injured in a game we had very little chance of winning against a defense knowing we were going to throw.
 #45637  by FU3
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:20 pm
Sort of makes sense if you avoid the fact that we got our stud RB dinged up in the final few minutes at Wofford up by 3 TD’s.Guess lesson learned, but that just wasn’t a great look for this program. What about taking some shots down the field with your back ups ?
 #45639  by Sir William
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:47 pm
No doubt, this has been a rough season following a rough spring. If truth be told for most here, our expectations skyrocketed after CCH’s first 2-3 seasons, and none of us expected to be where we are at the moment. It’s painful to say the least. That said…

Nothing wrong with expressing frustration over the play-calling, the lack of O, etc, etc, etc. It’s appropriate here and certainly one of the benefits of having a message board. But when you say our coach is a quitter, that crosses a line. It gets personal; you’re now not only questioning his play-calling and coaching ability, but you’re also questioning his personal character. And it proves you don’t have a clue as to what you’re talking about.

Express your frustration, but show some class and intelligence.
Last edited by Sir William on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeepPurple, gman84, FUBeAR and 2 others liked this
 #45641  by Furmanoid
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:57 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:57 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

Hendrix addressed that.

He didn't want to get players injured in a game we had very little chance of winning against a defense knowing we were going to throw.
OK, but have you ever seen anybody do that before? No, you use your timeouts and get the ball back. Odds are they will opt out of their good D and start “keeping everything in front of them”. That means any QB you’ve got will look like Tom Brady for the first few downs. They’ll give you 10-15 yds per catch. So you put in the walkon from FL, let him complete 4 wide open passes to scrub receivers and now you can go ahead and get the 3 you need or try to make a couple of contested plays for a TD. Then it all comes down to the onside kick. Nobody just stops playing with that much time left down by 10. In CH’s defense, his offense is so generationally bad, that further resistance was probably futile. But usually you don’t let your team know that you think they’re hopeless.
 #45643  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:56 pm
Furmanoid is correct, no team gives up down 10 with 5 minutes to play. If we were down 25 ok, maybe. We had a chance, not a good one but a chance. Remember VPI 2 years ago? We were down 10, scored with under 2 mins to go and recovered the onside kick and had a chance until the refs made up a call and took it away If you are worried about injuries why play the next 3 games? They mean nothing. No way anyone can defend giving up down 10 with 5 to go. No team in the country does that especially when their season is on the line. Yogi Berra said it ain’t over til it’s over but in this case it was.
Paladin575, QCGlue liked this
 #45644  by cavedweller2
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
Furmanoid is correct, no team gives up down 10 with 5 minutes to play. If we were down 25 ok, maybe. We had a chance, not a good one but a chance. Remember VPI 2 years ago? We were down 10, scored with under 2 mins to go and recovered the onside kick and had a chance until the refs made up a call and took it away If you are worried about injuries why play the next 3 games? They mean nothing. No way anyone can defend giving up down 10 with 5 to go. No team in the country does that especially when their season is on the line. Yogi Berra said it ain’t over til it’s over but in this case it was.
Yogi Berra was talking about baseball.
The Jackal liked this
 #45646  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:47 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
Yogi Berra was talking about baseball.
…or stealing pic-a-nic baskets.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.