Limited offense.
No sustained drives.
Cannot consistently run the ball.
Cannot consistently pass the ball.
Number of offensive plays is down.
Time of possession is down.
We frankly look lost.

Defense
Have played well considering they are on the field too much due to the fact our offense has struggled.
bj93, Jasper liked this
 #45544  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:23 pm
It's been frustrating to watch, but I think the evidence is we're just not ready for prime time.

While frustrated, I'm not discouraged. Perhaps this was never meant to be our year, especially after the change at QB and the loss of some key veteran contributors.

Keep pushing to win these last few games. Let Jace Wilson get comfortable in the offense. Establish an identity. Let's figure out what sort of team we want to be offensively.
 #45545  by bj93
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:47 pm
Not trying to be a smartass but what offense is Jace supposed to get comfortable in? I honestly dont see an offense. I see a team that when it has the ball runs random plays, non of which build on, set up or build off of each other. When we have a successful play it appears to be an accident.
Davemeister liked this
 #45546  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:53 pm
bj93 wrote:
Not trying to be a smartass but what offense is Jace supposed to get comfortable in? I honestly dont see an offense. I see a team that when it has the ball runs random plays, non of which build on, set up or build off of each other. When we have a successful play it appears to be an accident.

I haven't the slightest idea what the game plan is.

At this point, it is what it is and we'll see if Furman is willing to make some significant adjustments in the offseason. I'm sure Coach Hendrix is aware it is not sustainable to average something like 15 points per game and expect to win many games.
apaladin liked this
 #45547  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:57 pm
After 4 games JW should be comfortable with the 5 different plays we run. We have 3 games left and normally I woukd say lets enjoy the last 3 games try to improve yada yada yada. On the other hand how can you enjoy watching such an inept offense? We get our hopes up a little after the Mercer debacle with 42 against WC. Then 24 against Citadel. Then 13 and now 3 today. A disturbing trend downward. Granted the last 2 were against better defenses but still a significant sign the offense is not getting better. The next 3 games we will have the best defense on the field but by far the worst offense in all 3 games.
 #45549  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
After 4 games JW should be comfortable with the 5 different plays we run. We have 3 games left and normally I woukd say lets enjoy the last 3 games try to improve yada yada yada. On the other hand how can you enjoy watching such an inept offense? We get our hopes up a little after the Mercer debacle with 42 against WC. Then 24 against Citadel. Then 13 and now 3 today. A disturbing trend downward. Granted the last 2 were against better defenses but still a significant sign the offense is not getting better. The next 3 games we will have the best defense on the field but by far the worst offense in all 3 games.
We certainly don't run 5 plays. Our offense has a lot going on most of the time and I'm seeing a bit of new stuff every week.

It's not that our playbook is "simple" or "vanilla." It's that we don't execute it and seem to lack any rhythm with it. Nothing seems connected. It seems a bunch of isolated plays with the hope of "maybe this works."

In my view, we too quickly abandon our power/zone run schemes. This very much reminds me of the latter Tim Sorrells years where we had big playbook, but really didn't manage to do anything well and lacked any identity.

Who do we want to be as a football team? Figure that out, and then work tirelessly towards that.
Paladin575 liked this
 #45552  by Paul C
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:54 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
We certainly don't run 5 plays. Our offense has a lot going on most of the time and I'm seeing a bit of new stuff every week.

It's not that our playbook is "simple" or "vanilla." It's that we don't execute it and seem to lack any rhythm with it. Nothing seems connected. It seems a bunch of isolated plays with the hope of "maybe this works."

In my view, we too quickly abandon our power/zone run schemes. This very much reminds me of the latter Tim Sorrells years where we had big playbook, but really didn't manage to do anything well and lacked any identity.

Who do we want to be as a football team? Figure that out, and then work tirelessly towards that.
What he said.

But I’ll add that when we DO appear to have the right play called we flop on the execution. A lot of that can be youth, and I expect that aspect to improve but it’s just a shame to have a SoCon championship capable D squandered by an O that can’t seem to get it together.
apaladin, Paladin575 liked this
 #45553  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:23 am
Jackel, Ryan Miller is a weapon and by far our leading receiver. In reality he is more a WR than TE. He is undersized for a TE. The TE used to be an integral part of the FU offense but not now it seems. We used to use 2 TE's a lot. i don't recall another TE mentioned this season. i guess what I am asking is are we missing something at TE, such as blocking??Seems like our rb's can never get around the corner like they used to. Is that due to a lack of blocking from the TE position. Just seems like the TE position doesn't exist anymore. Just asking because of my lack of knowledge.
 #45554  by Paladin91
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:37 am
The offense has steadily worsened over the past few years - the problem is systemic and it is now sad to hear CH basically state after every game that he didn’t expect his own offense to do much of anything during the game. Sure, the freshman QB is learning, but even under veteran leadership of HS, things weren’t any better. Blocking schemes seem slow to develop and play calling/design is HS’ish at best - there is zero innovation and efficiency in this offense. There is no accountability for the Offensive Coordinator - most schools would have dumped their OC at this point in the season with this kind of offensive output. I can’t imagine being a HS player and thinking “I want to play in this offensive juggernaut.”

In 34 yrs of watching FU football, I’ve never seen a more inept offense. Our RBs seem about two steps slower than RBs on opposing teams, and aside from our TE and freshman WR, the other receivers would probably see little playing time elsewhere. Little talent and depth at the receiver position.

I respect CH as a person but he is quickly losing all respect as a coach. He cant be so oblivious to not see that his offensive system is a disaster. If he is oblivious to the problem, expect four more years of pain until his removal.
apaladin, Paladin575, bj93 liked this
 #45556  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:45 am
in this era of offensive football you just can't get by without it says captain Obvious. Approximately 250 D1 football teams played today. Only 5 scored 3 points or less.
 #45557  by Paladin91
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:58 am
Take out the late running gain by Abrams with seconds left and we had 100 yds of offense for the whole game - just abysmal. That’s not an offense - that’s plain failure. Own it, and make the necessary staffing/personnel changes.
gofurman, bj93 liked this
 #45558  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:00 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:53 pm
bj93 wrote:

I haven't the slightest idea what the game plan is.

At this point, it is what it is and we'll see if Furman is willing to make some significant adjustments in the offseason. I'm sure Coach Hendrix is aware it is not sustainable to average something like 15 points per game and expect to win many games.
Appreciate this Jackal. This is what many of us have been saying and it seems all are on board now. THREE POINTS?? AGAIN?? Three v Mercer. Three v UTC. 13 vs ETSU. it’s just not sustainable

JW can be a good Qb. In a year or so. It’s the general O that’s the issue. Wonderful D. Miller. Harris. Wynn. We have some skill for sure. Need OC. Play calling. OL needs work

Was impressed we switched QBs.

Will we switch OC or at least give co-coordinating type duties. DO SOMETHING AT OC LEVEL !!! Vaughn has the D. They are great. And he’s missing CB Yates. DL Sochovka. LB Wilkins. Etc. He just keeps rotating guys and holding teams to 16 ppg. Do hate we lost LB Bryce today.. that’s at least 4 missing on D and still doing well. Wow. And with No help from the O. Imagine our D if we just got 7 more first downs and 100 more yards

We are starting to average 150 -200 yards per game on Ô. . This is PATHETIC

For comparison. WCU (new coach) hung 45 on citadel. Mercer hung 34 on citadel today. If we just had that offense we might be undefeated in FCS and top ten

Went to check.
We got SIX - SIX - first downs today. That’s about like when we crushed western in spring ( they got Five I think ). Wow. That’s SUCK. Way to hang the D out to dry…
We are averaging 11 first downs per game over the last 3 games.

Also, over the last three games we are averaging 250 yards in offense. Gotta hit 370 -400 to be a really high quality team. With a strong D (which we have) 370 on Ô might do it but 250 is not gonna be sustainable …. As seen by UTC and ETSU and a defensive play-keyed-the-win v Citadel

All that said, I love that we beat Woff and Citadel this year :D Now let’s work with these weeks to win and get an offensive identity
 #45562  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:53 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:37 am
The offense has steadily worsened over the past few years - the problem is systemic and it is now sad to hear CH basically state after every game that he didn’t expect his own offense to do much of anything during the game. Sure, the freshman QB is learning, but even under veteran leadership of HS, things weren’t any better. Blocking schemes seem slow to develop and play calling/design is HS’ish at best - there is zero innovation and efficiency in this offense. There is no accountability for the Offensive Coordinator - most schools would have dumped their OC at this point in the season with this kind of offensive output. I can’t imagine being a HS player and thinking “I want to play in this offensive juggernaut.”

In 34 yrs of watching FU football, I’ve never seen a more inept offense. Our RBs seem about two steps slower than RBs on opposing teams, and aside from our TE and freshman WR, the other receivers would probably see little playing time elsewhere. Little talent and depth at the receiver position.

I respect CH as a person but he is quickly losing all respect as a coach. He cant be so oblivious to not see that his offensive system is a disaster. If he is oblivious to the problem, expect four more years of pain until his removal.
I don't see it that way.

At this point, I want less innovation. I'd be perfectly fine running the fullback 30 times in a game just to prove we can do it.
 #45563  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:56 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:23 am
Jackel, Ryan Miller is a weapon and by far our leading receiver. In reality he is more a WR than TE. He is undersized for a TE. The TE used to be an integral part of the FU offense but not now it seems. We used to use 2 TE's a lot. i don't recall another TE mentioned this season. i guess what I am asking is are we missing something at TE, such as blocking??Seems like our rb's can never get around the corner like they used to. Is that due to a lack of blocking from the TE position. Just seems like the TE position doesn't exist anymore. Just asking because of my lack of knowledge.

He's undersized for a traditional TE, but Furman doesn't use him that way. I think bringing him out of the backfield and lining up out wide is fine.

The question is whether Furman is losing something in the running game by not having a true in-line TE lined up along the offensive line. I have no idea.

Hendrix has admitted before a tendency to overuse Miller. He's a special player and, at the moment, about the only player on offense that's a threat to score anywhere on the field.
 #45566  by FU3
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:16 am
We have the talent to compete for the Socon title. Don’t take my word for it just listen to the pre season evaluations of his team by CCH. The lack of O production is a trend and it is getting worse. Would love to hear (or better still see)what steps this staff is going to take to fix it, otherwise FU better order lots more beer at Paladin Stadium and start giving it away because yesterday’s game was flat out unwatchable.
bj93, gofurman liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.