• UTC

UTC

#45346  by tim
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:16 am
Anybody care to analyze them? Bear? Jackal?........... anybody?
 #45349  by Furmanoid
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:33 am
I just spent about 10 minutes analyzing. I expect it to be about 21-17 them. But it might be about 21-17 us.
 #45350  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:34 am
They good. Not as good as their fans think they is, but still…they good.
 #45352  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:13 am
Furmanoid wrote:
I just spent about 10 minutes analyzing. I expect it to be about 21-17 them. But it might be about 21-17 us.
17-21 points would be a scoring outburst for us so I hope you are right.
 #45353  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:19 am
Furmanoid wrote:
You scare FUBeAR sometimes, Furmanoid. Here’s how FUBeAR seed it at 9:43 PM last night…it will all start on the bus ride over…of course…

Chatt thinks they have a polished, balanced O after Samford found every way possible to get the ball into the Chatt’s O’s hands as rapidly as possible last week & then (as usual) refused to defend their goal. They don’t. FU’s D is not nearly as flashy as Chatt’s, but they are very good and getting a few injured players back this week. Chatt’s D is good, but FU has been adequate in stopping themselves except @ Woffy. Some things start to gel for the FU O this week…and Chatt’s pretense & presumption of balance on O is their downfall this week.

Furman 21 - Chatt 17
 #45357  by Furmanoid
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:22 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:19 am
Furmanoid wrote:
You scare FUBeAR sometimes, Furmanoid. Here’s how FUBeAR seed it at 9:43 PM last night…it will all start on the bus ride over…of course…

Chatt thinks they have a polished, balanced O after Samford found every way possible to get the ball into the Chatt’s O’s hands as rapidly as possible last week & then (as usual) refused to defend their goal. They don’t. FU’s D is not nearly as flashy as Chatt’s, but they are very good and getting a few injured players back this week. Chatt’s D is good, but FU has been adequate in stopping themselves except @ Woffy. Some things start to gel for the FU O this week…and Chatt’s pretense & presumption of balance on O is their downfall this week.

Furman 21 - Chatt 17
A team with a real good defense and an Ok offense against a team with a real good defense and a not quite OK offense. I had hoped and speculated that a different QB would jump start the O, and it may have a little, but I think it will take another year to get the offense up to OK or better. That’s my in depth analysis.

Furmanoid’s loser: Furman

By making this prediction I’ve assured a Paladin victory.
gofurman liked this
 #45363  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:31 pm
Alym Ford and the OL are a beast. We rushed for 75 yds vsETSU. UTC rushed for over 230 yds on ETSU !! That is a significant difference. HUGE

UTC basically lined up and and told ETSU 'you can't stop us from rushing'. We weren't able to do that. Personally I think ETSU and UTC are the two best teams in the conference. Not that we (and Mercer and VMI) couldn't beat them on any given day... just I think those are the two toughest.

UTC pushed ETSU around for 6+ yards per carry. We ran for less than 3 yards a carry on etsu. We need to get that more towards 4 yards per carry. Until we get a little more OL / RB production ( 4 yds per carry?) and more QB experience I think we are slightly below the top of the SoCon. The good thing is Wilson should be learning on the fly

Our D keeps us in most every game!!

UTC 24 Furman 14 ?
 #45376  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:36 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:31 pm
Alym Ford and the OL are a beast. We rushed for 75 yds vsETSU. UTC rushed for over 230 yds on ETSU !! That is a significant difference. HUGE

UTC basically lined up and and told ETSU 'you can't stop us from rushing'. We weren't able to do that. Personally I think ETSU and UTC are the two best teams in the conference. Not that we (and Mercer and VMI) couldn't beat them on any given day... just I think those are the two toughest.

UTC pushed ETSU around for 6+ yards per carry. We ran for less than 3 yards a carry on etsu. We need to get that more towards 4 yards per carry. Until we get a little more OL / RB production ( 4 yds per carry?) and more QB experience I think we are slightly below the top of the SoCon. The good thing is Wilson should be learning on the fly

Our D keeps us in most every game!!

UTC 24 Furman 14 ?
I don't think it's as simple as just looking at the stats.

Yes, UTC put up impressive rushing numbers against ETSU. However, almost half of that yardage came on just two runs - a 58 yard TD by Price and a 49 yard TD by Ford. If you take out those two runs, UTC averaged 3.6 ypc the rest of the game.

Now, those runs happened, so we can't assume that they did not. From what I can see, on at least one of the runs, Price's long scamper, UTC caught ETSU in a blitz. This was similar to what happened to us on Wofford's long TD run - if you bring pressure and leave the middle of the field vacant, you can get burned on a run.

The other touchdown looked to be largely the product of good blocking, but also ETSU not having a defender in the middle third of the field. No idea the call, but my guess is the Bucs coaches didn't intend to leave the middle of the field void of a defender.

Does, UTC have a good running game? Yes, they do. For my money, I do not believe the two UTC backs, Ford and Price, are quite as dangerous as the two we just saw, Holmes and Saylors. I do not believe their offensive line is as good as ETSU's. On the season, the UTC QB is upside down on interceptions (6) to TDs (5).

When you look at that game, ETSU had more first downs, more yards, more time of possession, more plays, etc. They were crippled by two lost fumbles by the QB, one of which was completely unforced (he missed a handoff and kicked the ball backwards).

Good team? Yes. Do I think they're on balance better than ETSU? No. Can Furman afford a bunch of mistakes and expect to win? No. I think last week showed us what it is going to take to win a game like this.
 #45381  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:27 am
Of course the unknown factor is what effect if any the weather will have.
 #45382  by tim
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:56 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:27 am
Of course the unknown factor is what effect if any the weather will have.
Uh oh, I see the forecast. They do have turf though. Maybe less passing for both teams?

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.