• Is It Possible?

#45221  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:15 am
Is it possible to run the table and make the playoffs at 8-3? Tall order but at 8-3 we would finish the season on a 6-1 run. Normally 8-3 would get you in. The problem is we are not anywhere near the top 25. A long hill to climb. With only one ranked team left on the schedule that makes the climb more difficult. The loss yesterday was a huge blow. Win that game and it at least gets you in the neighborhood and would have a chance to climb into the top 25. Not sure it is possible now even at 8-3. Thoughts?
 #45227  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:41 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:15 am
Is it possible to run the table and make the playoffs at 8-3? Tall order but at 8-3 we would finish the season on a 6-1 run. Normally 8-3 would get you in. The problem is we are not anywhere near the top 25. A long hill to climb. With only one ranked team left on the schedule that makes the climb more difficult. The loss yesterday was a huge blow. Win that game and it at least gets you in the neighborhood and would have a chance to climb into the top 25. Not sure it is possible now even at 8-3. Thoughts?

Yes. 6-2 has won the SoCon title a number of times. Like many recent years, the bubble for the playoffs will be relatively weak, so an 8-3 Furman team drawing 10k+ per game will definitely be in the discussion.

All Furman can do at this point is beat UTC, though.
gman84 liked this
 #45231  by Flagman
 Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:25 am
I read an article this morning that had 4 SoCon teams in the play-offs; ETSU, VMI, Chatty, and Mercer. Same article had Furman as a "bubble" team. We knock off Chatty and VMI and that likely knocks them out. Our other two games are winnable. Step one: Beat the Moccasins, Mocking Birds, Choo Choos, Mocs (what is that, anyway): whatever they call themselves.
FUBeAR, Davemeister, QCGlue liked this
 #45235  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:15 pm
Flagman wrote:
I read an article this morning that had 4 SoCon teams in the play-offs; ETSU, VMI, Chatty, and Mercer. Same article had Furman as a "bubble" team. We knock off Chatty and VMI and that likely knocks them out. Our other two games are winnable. Step one: Beat the Moccasins, Mocking Birds, Choo Choos, Mocs (what is that, anyway): whatever they call themselves.
Their fans have been calling them “SoCon Champions” & “National Champion contenders” since before their Players, and later, their Coaches decided to quit last Spring.
Jasper liked this
 #45236  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:42 pm
Flagman wrote:

Having wins over UTC and VMI will be useful.
 #45240  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:53 pm
Have to win the SoCon which means we need help from the others. Winning Saturday would have been ideal for that. It also might have given Furman a shot at an at-large. Only option now is win the SoCon.
 #45241  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:05 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Have to win the SoCon which means we need help from the others. Winning Saturday would have been ideal for that. It also might have given Furman a shot at an at-large. Only option now is win the SoCon.
Sort of agree, but really no way to win the SoCon, but maybe could tie but even then prolly a 3-5 way tie. SoCon gets little respect in the polls. UTC still not in the top 25 meanwhile 3-4 Weber St breaks into the top 25 today. :shock:
 #45242  by DeepPurple
 Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:10 pm
I think our guys will go out and play their butt off this week. The only thing we control is this Saturday.
FUBeAR liked this
 #45246  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:05 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Sort of agree, but really no way to win the SoCon, but maybe could tie but even then prolly a 3-5 way tie. SoCon gets little respect in the polls. UTC still not in the top 25 meanwhile 3-4 Weber St breaks into the top 25 today. :shock:
Oh yea of course by help I mean a lot of help where everyone starts losing. Not likely, but per the thread title “is it possible?”
 #45250  by Jasper
 Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Their fans have been calling them “SoCon Champions” & “National Champion contenders” since before their Players, and later, their Coaches decided to quit last Spring.
Some fans seem to get carried away with enthusiasm and optimism for the teams. Good thing that doesn't happen on this board.
 #45251  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:19 pm
Cautious, confident optimism is a thing.

Arrogant, hyperbolic proclamations are also a thing.
 #45272  by Mocs123
 Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:09 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
I think what you mean to say is most Moc fans are of the consensus anything less than a playoff appearance would be a disappointment, especially after feeling that we had a good shot at a share of the SoCon championship and a playoff berth last spring if we had kept playing (I know ETSU fans would care to differ).

I'm not aware of any Moc fans crowning ourselves "SoCon Champions" or "National Championship" contenders. I think our fans think we have the talent to win the SoCon but we have some issues to overcome too, and now as much as ever I think any SoCon team can win any SoCon team on any given Saturday. The days of the WCU and VMI doormats are gone, and while WCU is still not a great team, they are now dangerous, which is something I don't think we could say a year ago.

We do have question marks for sure. QB play has gotten better, but it's still not such where we can go throw it for 300+ yards a game. Our special teams play has been sub-par. We missed two 37 yard FG's against VMI and our kickoff and kickoff coverage game hasn't been great. We have to get better on special teams if we want to win the SoCon. Lastly - our play calling has been suspect. For example in OT vs VMI, despite having two of the best backs in the SoCon and a strong offensive line, we throw the ball 3 straight times.

I expect the Furman game to be a tough, hard fought game. I think Furman's D is very good, particularly against the run and that will cause us problems . My guess is our D will cause the Furman offense some problems too, so I'm predicting a close, low scoring game where the difference may come down to special teams and turnovers.

While I'm hoping the Paladins don't play a particularly good game on Saturday and have a long sad bus ride home, I do hope that you win your last three games of the season and will be pulling for you against the Keydets for sure.
apaladin, DeepPurple, dornb liked this
 #45274  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:20 pm
Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:09 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
I think what you mean to say is…
Nope…said exactly what FUBeAR meant to say…always does.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.