• The Citadel - Oct. 16

#44429  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:01 am
Bulldogs are a little tough to figure out.

They were blown out by Coastal Carolina in week 1.

They lost to Charleston Southern team by 17. The Bucs' only win is over the Citadel.

They beat VMI in Charleston and then were blown out in Johnson City yesterday.
 #44431  by Furmanoid
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:17 am
I think they are bad. I guess beating VMI meant something but the only reason to think VMI is good is the win over UTC. But then again the only reason to think UTC is good is their good loss to UK. I’m gonna go ahead and put all 3 of those guys in our win column along with good ol WCU. That’s a pretty good recovery from last 2021.
 #44488  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:50 am
Interesting matchup Saturday.

From what I've seen this year, the Citadel is still running the option. Unlike past seasons, they are relying more heavily on a "full house" backfield. Even as option teams go, this scheme is pretty old school and rarely seen at the D1 level.

Unlike a lot of option teams, they really aren't putting anyone in motion. The three running backs are lining up next to one another in the backfield. In most instances, all 11 offensive players are brought in tight. Unlike Samford, who wants to spread you out, the Citadel wants the defense to play in a phone booth.

Offensively, you've got to stop the QB, Jaylan Adams. He's not a big guy at 5'10 165, but he's an excellent runner and the Citadel isn't afraid to ride him on offense. He rushed 28 times against VMI and is effectively more of a 4th running back than QB. He's not a particularly impressive passer, having completed fewer than 50% of his throws for about 93 yards a game.

Furman will still need to worry about Raleigh Webb, the big WR, who feels like he's been at the Citadel forever. He's their major red zone threat and is a guy they try to get involved in the passing game. His size makes him a tough matchup for DBs and he has enough speed to house the ball from anywhere on the field.

Defensively, they still have Willie Eubanks, their excellent linebacker. Outside of Eubanks, though, there's not a ton to write home about. El Cid is giving up 35 points and 455 yards per game. They are giving up 264 yards passing a game, which may bode well for Furman, one of the SoCon's better passing offenses. Of course, they weren't good defensively in the spring either and we struggled on offense.
 #44491  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:25 am
It says Bouncing off tacklers for his first TD. Did anyone touch him?
 #44504  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:37 pm
I have this thing during games where I like to see London Lewis standing next to more normal sized humans. The kid is massive.

#44506  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:50 pm
Here's Lewis' sack.

Strange play for Wofford.

I know their coaching staff wants to get away from the option offense, but in exchange for this? Lewis obliterates the center. The RT holds Hope. The RG is illegally downfield. The two OGs are playing patty-cake with Furman defenders (while illegally downfield). The "blocking TE" pulls around and does exactly nothing. The one man the QB has to throw to is well covered.

About the only dude doing anything worth a darn on that play is the LT, who gets a nice block on Coleman.
Paul C liked this
 #44507  by purplehorse
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:38 pm
Citadel has beaten us 5 of the last 7. This is a dangerous game for us and a must win if we want to have a successful season.
FU69 liked this
 #44508  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:51 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:38 pm
Citadel has beaten us 5 of the last 7. This is a dangerous game for us and a must win if we want to have a successful season.

There really isn't a scenario where Furman loses this game and hits their goals. We blew a lot of our elbow room with the weak showing against Mercer.

Furman, as they were against Wofford, is the better team. If we come out and play to our capabilities, we should win. The Citadel has given us fits for whatever reason, so we need to exorcise some demons.
dornb, AstroDin, FU69 liked this
 #44514  by youwouldno
 Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:29 pm
The recent losses have a pretty simple explanation - the Paladins didn't have good offenses. They have been a little extra bad against Citadel, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything of relevance now.

I like the matchup for the Paladins defense . . . there's a chance for a 17-13 type of game, with the run chewing up clock being a factor as well. Preferably, the Wilson-led offense picks up where it left off and builds an early lead.
 #44522  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:51 am
Incidentally, if the offense can get it rolling, remember that only three starters against Wofford are seniors (Deluca, Daniels, Wynn).
QCGlue liked this
 #44523  by Furmanoid
 Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:37 am
Yep. We could end up winning this thing this year, but it is a tough ask. We need to win out (which we can) and we need help with Mercer. It’s more likely we lose one or two more. But now we may be on track to be REALLY good for the next few years. We need Wilson to get better, but not too much better.
 #44524  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:03 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:37 am
Yep. We could end up winning this thing this year, but it is a tough ask. We need to win out (which we can) and we need help with Mercer. It’s more likely we lose one or two more. But now we may be on track to be REALLY good for the next few years. We need Wilson to get better, but not too much better.

We won't need help from Mercer to reach the playoffs. Keep winning and we'll be in.

I may stand corrected, but I don't think Mercer goes undefeated.

I expect Furman will likely be favored in every game from here on out with the exception of ETSU. ETSU is essentially the same team we beat in Johnson City last spring. We get them in Greenville.
QCGlue liked this
 #44527  by youwouldno
 Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:15 am
Favored by Jackal perhaps, but the computer ratings (the main ingredient in FCS over/unders) currently have the Paladins as slight underdogs in 3 remaining games - ETSU (2 points), @ UTC (5 points), and @ Samford (3 points).

A strong showing against Citadel would change that, possibly making the Paladins favorites in all remaining games. It also depends on what happens in the other SoCon games, of course.

Overall there's not a lot of separation in the SoCon this year. There are a huge number of scenarios that could realistically play out. No SoCon team is heavily favored throughout its remaining schedule.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.