• Post Wofford Game Thoughts!

#44331  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:36 pm
Completely dominated Wofford in Spartanburg.

By the fourth quarter the Terrier defense didn't want to play football no more.

THIS is what Furman football is capable. This is the team Hendrix recruited. This is the talent we have.
dornb, dins13, QCGlue and 2 others liked this
 #44334  by FurmAlum
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:46 pm
I don't know if I can believe what I just saw!

That was a great win. Those guys didn't quit (like some of our fans) when things weren't going right.

The offensive line kicked some butt today.

QB played great!
dornb, hypercycloid, dins13 and 5 others liked this
 #44335  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:49 pm
You can win a lot of games doing this:

No one touches Wynn for 12 yards, and he just obliterates the first Wofford defender that tries to tackle him.

dornb liked this
 #44336  by dins13
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:56 pm
Sooo...

Maybe Hendrix, Quarles, and co. didn't forget how to coach football?

Having to respect the pass is huge.

Loved watching us run it downhill.

Now let's beat the Bellhops!

FU all the Time!
dornb, FurmAlum, QCGlue and 2 others liked this
 #44337  by dornb
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:01 pm
That was fun! We are a different team with Jace at quarterback. He showed a lot of poise. Devin Wynn was a beast!

I can't wait until next week! Go Paladins!
 #44338  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:02 pm
Agree w above.

Great. OL. OL. OL. that’s what won the game
Wynn. Because of him and OL. OL. OL
Wilson. In control. No int !!

Grey pants? Hmm

No turnovers KEY.

Question. WTH? How was that not a pick by us in ezone?? Someone explain. Did I miss something? WHY do we not call a timeout and ask for review????

Few BIG missed tackles. Huge run. Punt return. The miss on the pass tackle. Those hurt bad. Have to make tackles

HOWEVER, this game is no more representative than the Mercer game. If we had won Mercer and lost this people would say the two games are worth the same. Well new QB etc so maybe …. Show me a win in the next two games and I’ll think things have changed. Let’s make it a trend
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #44361  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:00 pm
An observation from today - it seemed like Furman deployed a lot of "wham" blocks at the first level to help spring our running backs on a lot of runs. I have not seen us do that as frequently as they did today.

This play was a good example.

Furman is inside the 10, and puts Miller, Roberto, and Shiflett in a bunch formation to the left. On the snap, Miller comes back across the formation and kicks out the DE.

That allows the RT and RG to block down at the next level. The play design has Wynn originally running to the left and cutting back to the right. That cut back forces Wofford defenders to take one step to the wrong direction and allow the offensive linemen to get their angle.

As an aside, you can also see how much attention Joshua Harris gets. He's got two men trying to keep him from running a slant route.

JohnKX512 liked this
 #44365  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:08 pm
Also noticeable was Luke Shiflett in his first real extended action. Wofford had a tough time with him.

Shiflett is a big hombre. He's listed 6'2 200+. Along with Harris, that gives Furman two formidable blockers on the edge.
dornb, AstroDin, apaladin liked this
 #44373  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:28 pm
Awesome game! So very proud of the Paladins!!!

Great jobs by Players & Coaches.

* One thing though. Can we all agree NEVER to punt on the opponents’ 34?
 #44375  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:32 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:28 pm
Awesome game! So very proud of the Paladins!!!

Great jobs by Players & Coaches.

* One thing though. Can we all agree NEVER to punt on the opponents’ 34?

I think if the coaching staff knew in the first quarter what they knew in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, they probably would have rolled the dice.

Not sure what ever happened to the quick kick. Furman used to run that all the time.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.