• Serious question

#43788  by fu77fan
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:28 pm
I am interested as to why we ended the 2019 so poorly with bad losses to Wofford as well as to Austin Peay, why we were awful in the spring, why we could not even look respectable against NC State , and why we were embarrassed yesterday ?

I know there are those more knowledgeable than me , and I would like only serious answers.

I personally think that our biggest problem is that we need a talented dual threat QB.

Thoughts?
 #43790  by purplehorse
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:37 pm
My answer is serious although I am probably not qualified to answer. I would think it has to be multi factorial. Against Austin-Peay we were bad on both sides of the ball. It has been a long time since we have played a complete game.
 #43794  by Thorny
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:52 pm
2019 we were young at qb regardless of who was qb.

We are a run first offense with a NFL prospect halfback and are throwing the ball to open up the running game instead of the other way around.

I'm still not inclined to blame qb play as much as saying there is something wrong with our overall offensive scheme and we are not taking advantage of our players strengths.

/I know the least about football of anyone on here.
 #43795  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:16 pm
Our last complete game was the 2018 34-14 win at home over Wofford. It was also the last win over a team with more than 6 wins. In the CCH era FU has only 5 wins against teams that finished over .500(6 wins minimum). The last win vs. a team that finished above .500 was UTC in 2018 that finished 6-5. FU has now played 21 straight games without a win over a winning team, not counting this year. With this trend and the spring debacle why did JD jump and extend CCH’s contract thru 2025? Back to the original question, there is no single answer. Obviously FU has many problems.
Here are CCH wins against teams above .500
Colgate 7-4
WCU 7-5
Elon 8-4
Wofford 9-4
UTC 6-5

#43801  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:59 pm
I appreciate the OP question. i know this doesn't answer it but i would be happy to beat wofford and citadel at this po int., which is sad considering wofford and citadel are not good. but wofford has our number (for years now) and citadel was horrible and yet beat us last year. better damn beat one or both of them
 #43802  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:03 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:28 pm
I am interested as to why we ended the 2019 so poorly with bad losses to Wofford as well as to Austin Peay, why we were awful in the spring, why we could not even look respectable against NC State , and why we were embarrassed yesterday ?

I know there are those more knowledgeable than me , and I would like only serious answers.

I personally think that our biggest problem is that we need a talented dual threat QB.

Thoughts?
I know it's been said but I think our OC is struggling. I do. compare the plays of Mercer yesterday to ours. 1) The OC concerns me most. Can he adjust???
2) As a unit the OL isn't getting much push but they concern me less than the OC because they are young (a lot of Fr/Soph/Junr - only one graduates) and have gotten better since spring and will get better.. I hope't
3) QB play - better decision making but Mercer was WAY more accurate with throws than we were. We just dont seem to be 'consistently accurate on our throws and make some bad decisions. THREE PICKS for HS i think? really?

I think the D is good enough were the O there to help them

thoughts? am I way? off
 #43806  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:22 pm
I think it is obvious the defense is not as great as we were led to believe but good enough to win. The offense absolutely not good enough to win against decent teams.
 #43810  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:44 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:22 pm
I think it is obvious the defense is not as great as we were led to believe but good enough to win. The offense absolutely not good enough to win against decent teams.
Our defense played as poorly as I had seen them in long time Saturday. Our offense turned it over at least 4 times. Mercer still only scored 24.

Our defense will give us a chance to win every time out.
FU3, MNORM liked this
 #43818  by youwouldno
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:18 am
It wasn't the defense's fault. But they are nowhere near good enough to make up for how bad Furman's offense is (no FCS defense is - maybe it would be interesting with Alabama's defense).

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.