• Pre-season Practice

#2593  by Flagman
 Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:32 pm
What is the rule concerning pre-season practices? I seem to remember that teams couldn't start pre-season practice until three weeks before the first game. Clemson started earlier this week and channel 4 reported tonight that Wofford started today, and we're not having our first practice until Monday.

I realize that Clemson may need the extra time to prepare for Furman, but it doesn't seem to be a level field. Is our late start our decision?
dornb liked this
 #2594  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:19 pm
Good question. I think in general teams are allowed so many practices and it is up to the teams when they want to schedule them. I guess in Woffys case their practices will be more spread out than Furman's. 2 a days are no longer allowed but you can have a second "walk through" without pads. I pretty sure FBS gets more practices in the Spring than FCS. Probably the same in preseason. Don't see why this is the case but the NCAA is for anything that gives FBS an advantage.
 #2595  by FUBeAR
 Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:57 pm
I know this will be SHOCKING...but the NCAA has created an arcane rule with a complex formula using “available practice units” to calculate when a Team can start practicing. Basically, it takes into account varying academic calendars & varying dates of the opening game to derive when each Team can start practice.

If Clemson can start practicing earlier than Furman, most likely, their classes start a little earlier also.
 #2596  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:54 pm
The good news is that it looks like a lot of teams started practice in pretty steady rain this week.

Sometimes rain practices are useful, but you'd prefer not to do it on the first few days of camp as you are working to install your offense and defense.
 #2597  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:08 am
I doubt that any teams practiced in the rain. Even though it has rained this week every day has seen many dry hours. Practices can easily be rescheduled to avoid the rain this time of year since there are no classes. Forman's scheduled practice times states they are subject to change due to weather etc.
 #2599  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:11 am
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 905366002/

I am speculating, but Hendrix intentionally seemed to start (and finish) spring practice earlier than everyone else, and then start pre-seasons later than most other teams. He has mentioned it a few times in interviews, but it looks like he wanted uninterrupted conditioning and weight lifting and intentionally spread out the "helmets and pads" part of football practice.

I'm anxious to see the team get going. If they've put as much work in the offseason as it is suggested they have, this could be as physical and fast of a Furman squad as we've seen in quite some time.
dornb liked this
 #2600  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:14 am
Interesting quote from Dirks:
“It took us a while to realize even what we were running as an offense,” running back Kealand Dirks said of preseason practices in 2017. “Now, we’ve changed up a little bit of stuff, but we have a better idea going into camp of what we have to do. Also, we had a great season last year, so now we’re just expected to do it even better than that. We’re working even harder because we know what we can do.”
Once our offense got rolling last year, it was a tough group to stop. With a new offensive coordinator (Quarles) we may see some different looks than we did last year.
FU69 liked this
 #2617  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:03 am
Clay seems really happy with where they're starting out this season. I'd take that as a good sign.
Also, interesting about Clay's comments concerning the rookies, we have no idea about who exactly caught the coaches attention.
 #2618  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 am
Something sort of under the radar, but Furman lists 4 "quality control" assistants on this coaching staff. One is Antonio Wilcox, and it is good to see him still around the program.

Another QC assistant is Zane Cruz working with the defense. Cruz was a really good linebacker for Charleston Southern and would have played in Chad Staggs defense for the Bucs.
Bootie, Jasper liked this
 #2620  by Jasper
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:00 am
Just some thoughts from the first practice session I attended last night: great enthusiasm from the team - very well organized and efficient practice - early pecking order for QB's appeared to be 1. Harris 2. Lincoln 3. Sisson 4. Grainger 5. Vita - Wynn and particularly Deon Sanders looked very good as receivers out of the backfield - Morehead seems even faster - Burnette catches everything in his zip code- Kealand Dirks is HUGE at 250 lbs. - Carson Maples is an athlete - the OL looks lean and agile - the defense is hyped and very enthusiastic - all in all it, it was an excellent first practice for everyone - coaches and players.
Bootie, AstroDin and 1 others liked this
 #2622  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:40 am
Jasper wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:00 am
Just some thoughts from the first practice session I attended last night: great enthusiasm from the team - very well organized and efficient practice - early pecking order for QB's appeared to be 1. Harris 2. Lincoln 3. Sisson 4. Grainger 5. Vita - Wynn and particularly Deon Sanders looked very good as receivers out of the backfield - Morehead seems even faster - Burnette catches everything in his zip code- Kealand Dirks is HUGE at 250 lbs. - Carson Maples is an athlete - the OL looks lean and agile - the defense is hyped and very enthusiastic - all in all it, it was an excellent first practice for everyone - coaches and players.
If Sanders is at full speed and playing to his potential, that will be a huge boon for the Paladin offense. We need a RB2 to step in behind Dirks and carry some of the water.

Our defense is going to be fun to watch. We've got a few high motor high energy guys anchoring an attack-style defense.
 #2630  by Jasper
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:53 pm
Deon was very shifty and has great hands. Keep in mind - no pads yet. But he was running with abandon last night.
 #2632  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:36 pm
The pre-season before Deon injured his knee - he was shouldering most of the load at running back, and as Jasper mentioned he looked really good catching the ball out of the backfield.

Was worried we might not see the shifty Deon again. From what I've seen on the sidelines, Deon is a positive vocal leader and a competitor. Having four big backs is a big plus.

Brings me to Dirks, Dirks at 250 may be a "fullback" but he's shifty and fast enough to be a featured one back, same goes for Deon.
PaladinDad, Jasper liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.