• Our Offense

#39554  by fu77fan
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:32 am
We have scored less than 20 points in 4 of our 6 games.
We got 25 yards total on 5 consecutive possessions in the 2nd half.
We got a total of 66 yards rushing today.
I could go on an on about how inept/impotent/ pitiful/ awful/disastrous our offense has been this season !!

I find this unbelievable!!!!
If the coaches knew how to fix it, we would have seen improvement after having 2 weeks to prepare for Mercer.

As a long time Furman fan I am very disheartened about the future! I am certainly not looking forward to next season.
apaladin, bj93, furpal81 and 1 others liked this
 #39558  by purplehorse
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:49 am
No reason to expect anything but more of the same in the fall. When you have a certain way of doing things you can tweak it a little here and there but you have a certain DNA. And that is only addressing the system.

A bigger problem may be certain players in certain positions or coaches in certain positions.

What we all can agree on is that our offense is terrible. If there was a “fix” with the same players we probably would have seen it.

I wish our coaches the best in trying to make adjustments but it is hard to find any glimmers of hope based on the reality of the situation.
bj93 liked this
 #39559  by purplehorse
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:51 am
fu77fan wrote:
I could go on an on about how inept/impotent/ pitiful/ awful/disastrous our offense has been this season !!

If the coaches knew how to fix it, we would have seen improvement after having 2 weeks to prepare for Mercer.

As a long time Furman fan I am very disheartened about the future! I am certainly not looking forward to next season.
Fool me once shame on you.
Fool me twice shame on me.

It will take some results on the field before anyone should be optimistic at all.
 #39569  by apaladin
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:39 am
fu77fan wrote:

I don’t care how optimistic anyone is I don’t see how anyone can feel different than what you stated.
 #39570  by jesse174
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:04 am
Totally agree.. I see a QB that is clueless and it starts with him....I would put the other QB in just to see if he can do any better...
bj93, furpal81 liked this
 #39579  by Davemeister
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:18 pm
Offense? WHAT Offense? I worked yesterday and (mercifully) got home in time to watch the last 10 minutes of the game. What I saw was pitiful, and the D wasn't much better.
apaladin liked this
 #39583  by gofurman
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:39 pm
jesse174 wrote:
Totally agree.. I see a QB that is clueless and it starts with him....I would put the other QB in just to see if he can do any better...
be careful. we aren't supposed to call out specific players. on the other hand, players can be changed (and I mean ANY player) if that is what is holding us back. That would be far better than coaching
 #39587  by apaladin
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:10 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:39 pm
jesse174 wrote:
be careful. we aren't supposed to call out specific players. on the other hand, players can be changed (and I mean ANY player) if that is what is holding us back. That would be far better than coaching
I think the rule is by name, position should be ok or at least it should.
 #39593  by fu77fan
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:35 pm
Most years, we have at least had a backup QB who had a little playing experience. You could put the backup in for a series or so to give the starter a break , simply change it up , present a slightly different skill set , etc. Unfortunately, this year , with Grainger no longer at Furman , the coaches must feel like playing the backup QB is not in the best interest of the team.
The freshmen QBs from both VMI and Mercer look like they are athletic, can pass the ball well , can avoid taking sack after sack , but more importantly, can see the field well. Those are qualities of a QB that I have not seen this year with Furman.
bj93, apaladin liked this
 #39595  by apaladin
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:46 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Most years, we have at least had a backup QB who had a little playing experience. You could put the backup in for a series or so to give the starter a break , simply change it up , present a slightly different skill set , etc. Unfortunately, this year , with Grainger no longer at Furman , the coaches must feel like playing the backup QB is not in the best interest of the team.
The freshmen QBs from both VMI and Mercer look like they are athletic, can pass the ball well , can avoid taking sack after sack , but more importantly, can see the field well. Those are qualities of a QB that I have not seen this year with Furman.
I would bet money if I had any that FU is the only D1 team in the country with one scholarship QB. I am hoping that the kid from Texas is the next Armanti Edwards.
 #39598  by purplehorse
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:06 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:46 pm
fu77fan wrote:
I would bet money if I had any that FU is the only D1 team in the country with one scholarship QB. I am hoping that the kid from Texas is the next Armanti Edwards.
A dual-threat QB is the name of the game in this day and age. Of course you still need an offensive line. A former player has suggested to me that our offensive linemen may be bigger and stronger but are slower.
It seems that over the years we have often been a QB or two short.
 #39599  by curiousfan
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:47 pm
Subtle Wish List:
PLEASE go and look at the film of our Right Tackle.
PLEASE bring the Freshman QB in AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
Please utilize some other WRs and give them opportunities to make plays.
Please give #17 the ball in space (at least once every other series).
Please stop running on first down.
FYI...the first few offensive series of the Mercer game gave me hope, BUT somehow, we went right back to the SAME 'OL OFFENSE
QCGlue liked this
 #39602  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:06 am
curiousfan wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:47 pm
Subtle Wish List:
PLEASE go and look at the film of our Right Tackle.
PLEASE bring the Freshman QB in AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
Please utilize some other WRs and give them opportunities to make plays.
Please give #17 the ball in space (at least once every other series).
Please stop running on first down.
FYI...the first few offensive series of the Mercer game gave me hope, BUT somehow, we went right back to the SAME 'OL OFFENSE
I will not criticize a player but will note the first few series were the only ones where the offense drove the field once. We went 80 yards in the time we were willing to throw some:

9 runs.. 3 passes. 75% run.. 25 %pass - enough to have some balance:

and a Sisson scramble..

1st and 10 at FUR17 FURMAN drive start at 07:09.
1st and 10 at FUR17 Devin Abrams rush for no gain to the FUR17 (Alvin Ward Jr.).
2nd and 10 at FUR17 Kendall Thomas rush for 5 yards to the FUR22, out-of-bounds (Harrison Poole;Lance Wise).
3rd and 5 at FUR22 Hamp Sisson pass complete to Ryan DeLuca for 7 yards to the FUR29, 1ST DOWN FUR (L. Johnson).
1st and 10 at FUR29 Hamp Sisson pass complete to Noah Henderson for 16 yards to the FUR45, 1ST DOWN FUR (M. Campbell).
1st and 10 at FUR45 Devin Abrams rush for 4 yards to the FUR49 (Danijah Gammage;M. Campbell).
2nd and 6 at FUR49 Wayne Anderson rush for loss of 3 yards to the FUR46 (Lance Wise).
3rd and 9 at FUR46 Hamp Sisson pass complete to Ryan DeLuca for 34 yards to the MER20, 1ST DOWN FUR, out-of-bounds (Lance Wise).
1st and 10 at MER20 Devin Abrams rush for 3 yards to the MER17 (Luke Ward;Richie Coffey).
2nd and 7 at MER17 Devin Abrams rush for 2 yards to the MER15 (Jaden Taylor).
3rd and 5 at MER15 Hamp Sisson rush for 10 yards to the MER5, 1ST DOWN FUR (M. Campbell;Lance Wise).
1st and GOAL at MER05 Devin Wynn rush for 3 yards to the MER2 (Solomon Zubairu;DJ McDaniel).
2nd and GOAL at MER02 Devin Wynn rush for 2 yards to the MER0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 01:33.
1st and GOAL at MER03 Timmy Bleekrode kick attempt good.
 #39606  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:09 am
Bottom line, we are paying behind the sticks too frequently and facing 3rd and long constantly.

This is not on any one player. Sisson can't do much if guys are slamming into him in the backfield. I also counted at least 3 dropped passes (all on third downs, I think) in the second half.

It doesn't take Nick Saban to figure out that our best offensive play is a crossing route to Deluca. Teams are just sitting in the zone on third downs knowing that's what we are going to do.

I have no idea what is going on with the offensive line. This was supposed to be a strength of the team, and we're just getting run over up front. It's not just Mercer, it's everyone. The only team we've played that wasn't camped in our backfield was Western Carolina.

Teams are not afraid of our ability to throw the ball. That's been the case for the past two seasons. From what I can see, every team we play just attacks us in the backfield knowing that our passing game is not a big threat.

At the moment, our offense looks like it is not playing with any swagger. Like, we are getting hit and not doing the hitting. Everyone is back on their heels.

I can chalk some of this up to a weird spring season. But this stuff better get ironed out by the fall.
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.