• Transfer portal

#39069  by palafan
 Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 am
I really dislike this transfer portal and I think it is harming college sports, but we might as well try to benefit from it. Did CCH really say that he doesn't even know his password?
 #39071  by Roundball
 Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:06 pm
palafan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 am
I really dislike this transfer portal and I think it is harming college sports, but we might as well try to benefit from it. Did CCH really say that he doesn't even know his password?
He did say that. Dabo said the same thing.
 #39074  by gofurman
 Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:58 pm
If you are going to lose a few kids you might want to get a few ... Wouldn't that follow? Esp younger sophomore/junior types?
 #39076  by The Jackal
 Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:44 pm
gofurman wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:58 pm
If you are going to lose a few kids you might want to get a few ... Wouldn't that follow? Esp younger sophomore/junior types?

I think we do use those roster spots, just not necessarily on transfers.

For instance - and maybe it is a coincidence - but Taylor Hodges transfers and Furman soon after signs another defensive lineman to the 2021 class.
 #39078  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:21 pm
We were ok with getting transfers in the past. I bet we’re still open to the right transfer. If a guy is a 4 star and realizes that he is never going to play or never going to play his position I bet we’d give him a look. Gotta stop believing everything CH says. He’s a football coach.
 #39084  by 76MrMoto
 Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:47 pm
If Dabo at Clemson believes his program should have at least one full time person monitoring the transfer portal to see who is available, looks like Furman should also be considering using the transfer portal. See article about Clemson and the transfer portal at https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 812965002/ .

The NCAA is going to pass a rule (effective for at least one year 2021-2022) in April that any athlete can transfer one time without penalty and be eligible immediately. In addition there is tremendous pressure on the NCAA to make this rule effective without any date restraint (i.e. rule applies on-going and not just for one year).

Whether we like it or not, the transfer portal is here to stay and soon it will be possible for an athlete to transfer without any kind of restraint; therefore, Furman needs to get with it and utilize the portal when appropriate.
bj93 liked this
 #39085  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:50 pm
FUBeAR uses the blue portals regularly when we tailgate on campus.

That said, I sure wouldn’t want a job monitoring them full time.
 #39086  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:15 pm
We do take transfers, i.e. Luke Shiflett. Speaking of him, will he be a QB or WR when he gets healthy?
 #39090  by 76MrMoto
 Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:12 pm
Interesting article titled "The college basketball transfer apocalypse is upon and it's not the end of the world" in "The Charlotte Observer" on March 24 written by Luke Decock. Below is quote taken from the article;

" This offseason will be a massive market correction, with hundreds if not thousands of basketball players in the transfer portal — there were 573 Division I players already in the portal by mid-afternoon Tuesday, per a source with access to the portal — and given the previous restrictions on athlete movement and everything college athletes have been through in the past year, it’s probably good to hit the reset button and let everyone who wants to start fresh do that".

I think football players, this year, will do the same thing as the bb players are doing relative to the portal.
 #39093  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:35 pm
76MrMoto wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:12 pm
Interesting article titled "The college basketball transfer apocalypse is upon and it's not the end of the world" in "The Charlotte Observer" on March 24 written by Luke Decock. Below is quote taken from the article;

" This offseason will be a massive market correction, with hundreds if not thousands of basketball players in the transfer portal — there were 573 Division I players already in the portal by mid-afternoon Tuesday, per a source with access to the portal — and given the previous restrictions on athlete movement and everything college athletes have been through in the past year, it’s probably good to hit the reset button and let everyone who wants to start fresh do that".

I think football players, this year, will do the same thing as the bb players are doing relative to the portal.
Article is a little over the top. There are only app. 4,500 basketball players. To say thousands will be transferring is a little ridiculous. Hundreds yes, thousands no.
 #39100  by Paul C
 Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm
Just read there are over 800 D1 players in the transfer portal.
 #39101  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:43 pm
Paul C wrote:
There are 1,076 NCAA College Basketball Teams (I, II, III)...so less than 1 Player/Team in portal.
 #39103  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:08 am
Paul C wrote:
Don’t believe everything you read. I assume you are talking bkb? That would be over 2 per team. Currently there are 168 D1 basketball players in the transfer portal that are available. Below is a breakdown by positiin:
C. -6
PF -28
SF- 67
PG-30
SG-28
CG-9
 #39338  by 76MrMoto
 Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:45 am
1,065 + players in "transfer portal". Apparently the 1,065 is made up of players that have transferred to-date in 2021 plus those currently in the portal. You can see the list of 1,065 + at https://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2021 . This website link is slow probably due to people accessing it so it make take several attempts to reach it. Noah G is in it but did not find any other Furman players in it.

I did not count to verify that there are 1,065 names listed will leave this to AP to do.
apaladin liked this
 #39339  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:58 am
76MrMoto wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:45 am
1,065 + players in "transfer portal". Apparently the 1,065 is made up of players that have transferred to-date in 2021 plus those currently in the portal. You can see the list of 1,065 + at https://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2021 . This website link is slow probably due to people accessing it so it make take several attempts to reach it. Noah G is in it but did not find any other Furman players in it.

I did not count to verify that there are 1,065 names listed will leave this to AP to do.
Mods - can we move this from Football to the hoops section?

Started about Football, but has morphed.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.