• etsu - scout

#38301  by gofurman
 Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:23 am
back w more later... what are your thoughts?

First, they have had three weeks off ! weird. not their fault. bye week where I suspect they were prepping for Woff mainly and then Woff cancelled mid-week. that concerns me some as it means just as soon as Woff cancelled they could turn all their attention to us... and to be fair, we haven't been super innovative in offensive play calling (and yes, I understand you run the same plays to set up other plays later). The reverse and TE throwback were beautiful and executed so well. We may need a little more to keep ETSU off balance..

Otoh, we have played three live games and they have only played one. That's good.

Interestingly, we both played v sammy as our last opponent. Both won by a TD... But ETSU played a much lower scoring game 24-17 w vs our 44-37 w.

I usually view ETSU as a strong opponent without a super offense but they hang around - this was actually the first game I had circled based on last years results (VMI surprised me :o ). we lost up their last time

Anyway, to use Samford we gained 500+ (granted, OT) and Samford gained 400+ (granted, punt return and pick 6 allow no yds). So the high score..
We gained ~ 250 passing on 27 attempts ..and 250 rushing on 57 attempts
Sammy gained ~250 passg on 21 attempts .. and 150 rushing on 36 attempts

One weakness we had was giving up a few big pass plays..

When Sam played ETSU they rushed 34 times for ~100 yards - that is of concern. That's a strong run D... Sam also passed 55 times ! for 230 yards..
ETSU ran 37 times for 125 yards... and passed 30 times for 200 yds.

Another thing I see is that ETSU sacked Samford EIGHT times. wow - 8 ! That reminds me of a game recently I would rather forget. We better be ready for that .

Put another way, ETSU gained 5.0 yds per play v Samford. Samford gained 4 yds p play vs ETSU roughly...
We gained 6 yards p play vs Sammy but allowed sammy 7 yards per play !!

In short, ETSU kept the Sam O in check while we just outscored them. this will be a test
 #38302  by AstroDin
 Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:51 am
Concerning the Samford game as a comparison… I think the Dins got a vastly improved Samford team from the previous week. I'd bet if Welch started against the BUCS the Dogs win easily. I think Welch is a really good QB.

In this wacky spring season - I'm not sure having a week off makes a difference one way or another. I do think not having any film on VMI hurt our preparation.

In recent years ETSU has tried and at times been successful at being more physical than Furman. Last year was bloody and we had a couple of players (Granger and Watkins) take some big hits. We got ETSU's best shot last year - then they had injuries to some key players.

Looking at the ETSU game notes - Furman has a little more lead in the pants comparing lines. ETSU is very average in size in the defensive backfield (note they have a stud at FS) the Bucs backfield is 5-9, 5-10, 5-11, 5-11 - I'll be curious how Furman attacks the Buc backfield.

The other thing to watch is the depth. The second level d-line for the Bucs goes 6-2 215, 6-0 290, 6-2 238 - hum. The starting d-line for the Bucs goes - 6-7 240, 6-2 265, 6-3 275. Furman is going to play power and misdirection with 10-12 linemen the entire game, add in the mix three running backs 216 to 246 pounds and I see a matchup problem for the Bucs as this game goes into the fourth quarter.
gofurman liked this
 #38303  by Davemeister
 Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:00 am
gofurman wrote:

First, they have had three weeks off ! weird. not their fault. bye week where I suspect they were prepping for Woff mainly and then Woff cancelled mid-week. that concerns me some as it means just as soon as Woff cancelled they could turn all their attention to us... and to be fair, we haven't been super innovative in offensive play calling (and yes, I understand you run the same plays to set up other plays later). The reverse and TE throwback were beautiful and executed so well. We may need a little more to keep ETSU off balance..

Otoh, we have played three live games and they have only played one. That's good.

Interestingly, we both played v sammy as our last opponent. Both won by a TD... But ETSU played a much lower scoring game 24-17 w vs our 44-37 w.

I usually view ETSU as a strong opponent without a super offense but they hang around - this was actually the first game I had circled based on last years results (VMI surprised me :o ). we lost up their last time

Anyway, to use Samford we gained 500+ (granted, OT) and Samford gained 400+ (granted, punt return and pick 6 allow no yds). So the high score..

When Sam played ETSU they rushed 34 times for ~100 yards - that is of concern. That's a strong run D... Sam also passed 55 times ! for 230 yards..

Another thing I see is that ETSU sacked Samford EIGHT times. wow - 8 ! That reminds me of a game recently I would rather forget. We better be ready for that .

Put another way, ETSU gained 5.0 yds per play v Samford. Samford gained 4 yds p play vs ETSU roughly...

In short, ETSU kept the Sam O in check while we just outscored them. this will be a test

Gofurman, are you scared of ETSU? We need you to be VERY scared !
 #38305  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:26 am
The Teary-ers publicly announced their decision to slither out of their game vs. ETSU about midday last Monday. They may have told SoCon Officials / ETSU Coaches earlier - as early as the Saturday evening prior possibly.

ETSU had a week to fix 1st game mistakes & 2 full weeks to work on Furman. They should be exceptionally well-prepared. Thanks Coach Conklin!
 #38306  by gofurman
 Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:20 am
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:00 am
gofurman wrote:

Gofurman, are you scared of ETSU? We need you to be VERY scared !
Good one. as last week, I am VERY scared !
 #38313  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:35 pm
We need to be scared every week, we’ve proven we are not good enough to win without maxmum effort.
 #38319  by Paul C
 Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:40 pm
gofurman wrote:
AP - I agree...but that SHOULD always be our mentality, whether we are playing Mars Hill or Marshall....

JT - if our D can eliminate the breakdowns that led to big plays we would have had very impressive results vs Samford.

I know this is sort of a folly to do this BUT here goes....we gave up a 64 yard run when one Sam blocker effectively blocked 2 FU defender because the OLB and the S BOTH took outside leverage (2:57 on the highlight reel)..and gave up an 85 yard pass when 2 defenders covered the same receiver leaving the outside WR running a post wide open vs what looks like a 3 deep zone (6:59 on the highlights) .....those 2 plays were 149 yards of Sammie's 407.

Take those out and we gave up 15/20 for 168 passing and 35 rushes for 90 yards 2.5 ypc.....and 258 yards overall....

of course the plays happened, and who know what would have happened if we didn't have breakdowns there, but it sort of shows how good this D can be when everyone plays their responsibility.
apaladin liked this
 #38326  by The Jackal
 Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:32 am
I think also worth noting that we have a number of young safeties getting a lot of on the job training. Safety was probably the one area on defense where we knew we'd have to play a number of guys without a ton experience. They'll get better.
AstroDin liked this
 #38327  by AstroDin
 Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:32 am
I think also worth noting that we have a number of young safeties getting a lot of on the job training. Safety was probably the one area on defense where we knew we'd have to play a number of guys without a ton experience. They'll get better.
Great point Rhodes and Brinson are getting a lot of PT. Rhodes was a step behind on the long pass over the top.
Dimarcus Clay has been very impressive so far.

One more thing our corners are playing very physically this season… The front line: Kearse/Chizik/Blackshear is as good as any in the SoCon we're now seeing a lot of confidence in the youngsters… Micah Robinson and Champ Yates stepping up and making plays is giving Furman a lot of personnel to put on the field.
 #38333  by Paul C
 Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:16 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:43 am
Rhodes was a step behind on the long pass over the top.
I think he was step behind because he mis-read the play....if it was a cover 3 which I think it may have been, he had CF and he let the slot/corner route pull him out of the middle of the field...
AstroDin, gofurman liked this
 #38394  by gofurman
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:47 am
back to ETSU - Just win!!!

form CH "" Our guys up front have been (D) really solid. This will be a really big week for them because this (ETSU) bunch is kind of black-and-blue the way they do it," Hendrix said. "The two (running) backs are really good. ... "
 #38408  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:54 pm
CCH said they were going up the day of which is kinda unusual I think. Two and a half to 3 hour bus ride before a 1PM kick is not good but I guess it’s a sign of the times. Lots of construction between Hendersonville and Asheville which causes wrecks and or long delays. I guess they would eat breakfast before they leave? Gonna make a long day.
 #38414  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:39 pm
apaladin wrote:
CCH said they were going up the day of which is kinda unusual I think. Two and a half to 3 hour bus ride before a 1PM kick is not good but I guess it’s a sign of the times. Lots of construction between Hendersonville and Asheville which causes wrecks and or long delays. I guess they would eat breakfast before they leave? Gonna make a long day.
They'll be alright.

I wager a lot of these boys have been on more than a few 2.5-3 hour bus rides to go play a football game. There are more than a few high school teams that will do that in consecutive weekends during the playoffs.

In the current climate, we probably have to save money where we can. Road construction probably won't be a big deal early on a Saturday morning.
 #38415  by FurmAlum
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:54 pm
No problem for those 18-21 year olds.

Big problem for my 66 year old back. Played golf on Wed. (shot under par,by the way). Thur. back hurt so much, could barely get out of bed. I never knew putting on my socks could be such a challenge! Today, not much better.

Covid shot on Mon. After that, emergency visit to Chiropractor.
 #38420  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:29 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:39 pm
apaladin wrote:
They'll be alright.

I wager a lot of these boys have been on more than a few 2.5-3 hour bus rides to go play a football game. There are more than a few high school teams that will do that in consecutive weekends during the playoffs.

In the current climate, we probably have to save money where we can. Road construction probably won't be a big deal early on a Saturday morning.
You hope they’ll be alright. Bears had a little issue on their 8 hour bus ride to VMI today...

https://www.thestate.com/sports/colleg ... 02968.html

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.