• FU-WCU highlight package

#37258  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:38 am
You know, I actually don't hate the first interception. It was more of a timing problem than anything.

WCU shows blitz and brings 5. The offensive line picks it up fine. While I don't know if this was the call or a read, Sisson looks to throw into the blitz, which is where you would assume the open space is. Anderson runs a slant and is open. Not sure what Sisson saw, but apparently it wasn't the robber safety.

So, in my opinion, right read, right man, open receiver, just not a well timed throw. As Anderson and Sisson - both young players - play more in this offense, you may see them make quicker adjustments and that will be a first down, not a pick.

Also, nice hustle by Bell and Sisson to keep WCU out of the end zone. With a good defense, sometimes an effort play like that may be the difference in winning and losing.
 #37259  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:54 am
The Jackal wrote:
You know, I actually don't hate the first interception. It was more of a timing problem than anything.

WCU shows blitz and brings 5. The offensive line picks it up fine. While I don't know if this was the call or a read, Sisson looks to throw into the blitz, which is where you would assume the open space is. Anderson runs a slant and is open. Not sure what Sisson saw, but apparently it wasn't the robber safety.

So, in my opinion, right read, right man, open receiver, just not a well timed throw. As Anderson and Sisson - both young players - play more in this offense, you may see them make quicker adjustments and that will be a first down, not a pick.

Also, nice hustle by Bell and Sisson to keep WCU out of the end zone. With a good defense, sometimes an effort play like that may be the difference in winning and losing.
You are so, I’m, ‘charitable.’ I’m sure you have never been one of those, “C’mon O-LINE, BLOCK SOMEBODY!” guys after a RB whiffs on a block and gives up a sack.

Did you see Bell on that play? The CB was 8-10 yards off of him (on 3rd & 4) & backpedaling furiously, as they rolled from a 2-shell to cover 3 pre-snap, when the ball was thrown to WCU’s Safety.

Wrong read, wrong man, not-open receiver (that was Bell), well thrown football. Nice hustle by both cited post-INT.

He’s young. He made a mistake. Probably the best thing that could have happened, given the way he responded - sets an example for everyone on the Team of how to deal with adversity. He’s gonna be a fine (maybe better than fine QB) for the Paladins for quite a while, hopefully.
 #37261  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:31 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

You are so, I’m, ‘charitable.’ I’m sure you have never been one of those, “C’mon O-LINE, BLOCK SOMEBODY!” guys after a RB whiffs on a block and gives up a sack.

Did you see Bell on that play? The CB was 8-10 yards off of him (on 3rd & 4) & backpedaling furiously, as they rolled from a 2-shell to cover 3 pre-snap, when the ball was thrown to WCU’s Safety.

Wrong read, wrong man, not-open receiver (that was Bell), well thrown football. Nice hustle by both cited post-INT.

He’s young. He made a mistake. Probably the best thing that could have happened, given the way he responded - sets an example for everyone on the Team of how to deal with adversity. He’s gonna be a fine (maybe better than fine QB) for the Paladins for quite a while, hopefully.

I mean, both guys are open. Hindsight, yes, Bell's open. He's also a lot further away and Sisson appears to think he has less time to throw than he probably did. Young QB facing a 3rd down rush on the first series of the game probably sped him up a bit.

I do agree that this is probably a good thing. It's a learning opportunity and was in a game where it wasn't a crippling mistake.

Learn from it and move on.
 #37262  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:29 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:31 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I mean, both guys are open. Hindsight, yes, Bell's open. He's also a lot further away and Sisson appears to think he has less time to throw than he probably did.
No - both were NOT open - Jeez... almost by definition, you cannot say a Retriever is “open” if a relatively well-thrown ball is cleanly intercepted.

Bell is open in “foresight” - pre-snap...when the FS rolls to 1 high pre-snap & the CB maintains an 8 yard cushion. Bell is open in “midsight” when the CB bails hard at the snap to get into his deep third.

You know when you see the 1 Safety start to roll to 1 high, the other Safety is not going to sit back...CERTAINLY not on 3rd & 4 against a Team known to run the dang ball.

I know you have your PerfectPurple Charity to run, but, as Sisson did, you need to move on from defending this learning experience. I wish you were on a message board when FUBeAR was playing for FU - I’d a made you the biggest liar in an 8 state area trying to cover for me!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.