• Grayson Atkins

#24248  by hawg
 Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:59 pm
Great guy, great talent. He was one of the Paladins that we entertained in the pre-season feed.
I wish him the very best.
76MrMoto, AstroDin, QCGlue liked this
 #24251  by fufanatic
 Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:12 pm
He will be missed. Not sure how you replace him.
 #24252  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:48 pm
oldfrt’s boy, youngestfrt, can show him the ropes up in chapel hole
 #24257  by The Jackal
 Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:49 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Atkins is a top flight talent and will be sorely missed.

That said, Furman has produced a long line of really good kickers.
QCGlue liked this
 #24269  by Jasper
 Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:45 am
I will be very surprised if we don't see him in the NFL after NC.
 #24273  by apaladin
 Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:12 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:49 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Atkins is a top flight talent and will be sorely missed.

That said, Furman has produced a long line of really good kickers.
Unfortunately none will be eligible to kick in 2020. :)
 #24276  by tim
 Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:25 pm
Luck to him, I don't think he has helped himself any.
 #24277  by The Jackal
 Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:56 pm
tim wrote:
I don't think this is so much about football as it is Atkins trying to turn 4 years of football into two degrees.
paladinfan12, MNORM liked this
 #24285  by Kennypowers
 Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:44 pm
tim wrote:
Come on. Hasn't helped himself? Much to be determined but I can only imagine he believed he'd kick in the big crowd, big game atmosphere games of the ACC with a possible drive toward a championship game berth. Yes, it's a big difference. He'll have a famous head coach with his program on the rise. More connections, more exposure, more supporters, more big games, bigger moments, new life experiences, etc. etc. Good for the guy. He did about all he could at Furman. Everybody needs a new chapter every now and then.....and, like you, I wish him the best....but I do think this will definitely help him, pro football or not.
fufanatic, QCGlue liked this
 #24286  by tim
 Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:10 pm
Kennypowers wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:44 pm
tim wrote:
Come on. Hasn't helped himself? Much to be determined but I can only imagine he believed he'd kick in the big crowd, big game atmosphere games of the ACC with a possible drive toward a championship game berth. Yes, it's a big difference. He'll have a famous head coach with his program on the rise. More connections, more exposure, more supporters, more big games, bigger moments, new life experiences, etc. etc. Good for the guy. He did about all he could at Furman. Everybody needs a new chapter every now and then.....and, like you, I wish him the best....but I do think this will definitely help him, pro football or not.
Well I get the point about the double degree etc. and in that regard, yes. As far as NFL aspirations, no, he has not helped himself and is probably taking a bit of a chance.
 #24287  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:43 am
i am sure this is prolly a good move for him but I hate it that now if he gets to the NFL he will be from UNC and not Furman. I kinda wish he had declared for the NFL draft this year. Maybe he checked on the NFL chances and tought this was the better move.
 #24293  by The Jackal
 Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:13 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:43 am
i am sure this is prolly a good move for him but I hate it that now if he gets to the NFL he will be from UNC and not Furman. I kinda wish he had declared for the NFL draft this year. Maybe he checked on the NFL chances and tought this was the better move.
From a football perspective, there's always a risk moving from the known to the unknown.

There's a really recent example - Wofford's David Marvin. Marvin was an All American kicker who grad transferred to UGA a few years ago. In his single season with the Bulldogs, he attempted 1 field goal and had two kickoffs. He likely would have attempted 20+ FGs that year for Wofford.

Of course, I do not believe this is a football-only decision for Atkins.
 #24294  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:11 am
Furman only offers about 4 masters programs. If he isn’t in chemistry, education or art, he needed to move on.
MNORM liked this
 #24297  by fufanatic
 Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:11 am
All UNC's kickers/punters/kickoff guys are underclassman. Assuming they are coming back, nothing will be handed to Grayson. I'm sure he considered that before making a decision, but I'm almost 100% sure he won't be doing all three, and there's a chance that he won't get to be the guy at any position. Although, he looks to be the better FG kicker based purely on numbers. I wish him all the best. I get why he did it. Besides the degree, if he can win a starting spot, he'll be kicking in big environments every week and not just one like at Furman. While I still think that kicking is about the same everywhere from NAIA to the NFL, there is something to be said for kicking in a big environment at the Power 5 level in front of 60K+ like you would at the NFL level.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.