• Bus Trip to Austin Peay

#21416  by purplehorse
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:27 pm
My guess is there is no way this would work out. The advantage is you can sleep and read on the bus and not have to drive. In the old days I remember going with my mom to the Eastern Kentucky playoff game in 1986 on a Furman bus. My favorite memory was going to Marshall in the historic quarterfinals in 1988 when we won 13-9 and we went on to win it all. That was on the team plane and oh my goodness-what a great trip.
Horse, AstroDin, 76MrMoto liked this
 #21419  by Horse
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:44 pm
Great memories I was at both of those games. We used to have bus trips to the big games that were played on the road. I wish that the alum association would restart that option. I guess it would require too much extra effort but it would be so nice.
76MrMoto liked this
 #21422  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:09 pm
Horse wrote:
Great memories I was at both of those games. We used to have bus trips to the big games that were played on the road. I wish that the alum association would restart that option. I guess it would require too much extra effort but it would be so nice.
No way that is happening again. My friend at D2 Valdosta State said they had one for the Natty.. wonder if we would?
 #21431  by FUPlayer74
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:57 pm
gofurman wrote:
Horse wrote:
No way that is happening again. My friend at D2 Valdosta State said they had one for the Natty.. wonder if we would?
Ride a bus to Frisco Texas? Seriously?
Flagman liked this
 #21435  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:26 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Horse wrote:
Sure. As a football fan I am sure you are aware that the D2 title is in McKinney Texas. RIGHT BESIDE FRISCO. Literally in Dallas. Valdosta bus trip was similar - straight From Valdosta GA to Texas. They did it. Full bus. Big party. Guess we wouldn’t be as committed as D2 Valdosta State? I know our title is in Frisco. Been by there.

Little bit of just a friendly heckle here. Personally I would definitely fly. I am too old for that. LOL.

I just guessed by your response you weren’t aware that yes V State bussed em to ... Dallas.!
The same place you are saying we would couldn’t seriously consider. They. Did. It. . My friend (roommate at Furman ) is a professor at V State -Ransom Gladwin in Spanish dept there. almost 50 years old. And he rode the bus. He said it was a blast ! He is clearly tougher than I am. I probably couldn’t handle that anymore
Last edited by gofurman on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #21436  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:35 pm
A friend and I drove to the EKU game that morning and drove back after the game. Long day but certainly worth it and great memories. Hard to believe that was 33 years ago. Seems like yesterday, LOL.
AstroDin liked this
 #21439  by Flagman
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:35 pm
A friend and I drove to the EKU game that morning and drove back after the game. Long day but certainly worth it and great memories. Hard to believe that was 33 years ago. Seems like yesterday, LOL.
I remember the cow pasture just past the end zone at EKU.
76MrMoto liked this
 #21440  by FUPlayer74
 Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:00 am
gofurman wrote:
FUPlayer74 wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Horse wrote:
Sure. As a football fan I am sure you are aware that the D2 title is in McKinney Texas. RIGHT BESIDE FRISCO. Literally in Dallas. Valdosta bus trip was similar - straight From Valdosta GA to Texas. They did it. Full bus. Big party. Guess we wouldn’t be as committed as D2 Valdosta State? I know our title is in Frisco. Been by there.

Little bit of just a friendly heckle here. Personally I would definitely fly. I am too old for that. LOL.

I just guessed by your response you weren’t aware that yes V State bussed em to ... Dallas.!
The same place you are saying we would couldn’t seriously consider. They. Did. It. . My friend (roommate at Furman ) is a professor at V State -Ransom Gladwin in Spanish dept there. He said it was a blast !
Friendly heckle, I'll ride the bus to Frisco if you promise to fly!
 #21443  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:42 am
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:00 am
gofurman wrote:
FUPlayer74 wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Horse wrote:

The same place you are saying we would couldn’t seriously consider. They. Did. It. . My friend (roommate at Furman ) is a professor at V State -Ransom Gladwin in Spanish dept there. He said it was a blast !
Friendly heckle, I'll ride the bus to Frisco if you promise to fly!
DEAL. Absolutely no way I would miss it. At our last title game in Chatt I flew in on a small 4 person plane where we then scraped ice off the wings for two hours after the game ( I was freezing after two hours of ice on my hands). Left at 3am. Shoulda just stayed and drank. That’s another story
QCGlue liked this
 #21444  by raleigh fan
 Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:29 am
Friend and I drove to Richmond, Ky to stay with fellow alum and had unique experience. It was 1988...we drove to Hunington in morning to see Furman beat Marshall then back to Richmond and went to WKU-EKU playoff game that night. One incredible day of football two great rivalries in playoff football. My friend who was in grad school there was so wondering if we would end up playing EKU in final but they lost a close one to GSU.
Affirm liked this
 #21448  by AstroDin
 Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:48 am
You guys are bringing up all those great memories - I was on all those bus trips too. Marsha, EKU, rode up to Richmond with Flag and Hawg… good times and it's exciting to be back!!!

My guess - if this becomes a reoccurring thing you'll see the PC and the Alumni Assoc step in. It does take a lot of organization, staff and $$$ to secure busing and facilitate trips like this within a week.

I'm trying to figure out if I can make the trip to Clarksville - I really want to be there - this team deserves our support.
 #21449  by FUPlayer74
 Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:07 am
I remember the bus trip to GSU organized by Vince Perone in Dec 2001. We came back in the second half to whip the gussies for their first home field playoff loss, and sang Christmas carols all the back to Greenville!
FUKA61, AstroDin, fufanatic and 3 others liked this
 #21451  by din23
 Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:39 am
There are a lot of good memories in this thread with some 'misremembering'. The 1986 EKU game was in Greenville, a first round loss. The game in Kentucky was in 1990, and we blew them out before heading to Nevada the next week and losing in 3OT. I also distinctly remember the smell of the cow pasture blowing in from across the road!
Bootie, 76MrMoto liked this
 #21452  by Bootie
 Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:08 am
din23 wrote:
There are a lot of good memories in this thread with some 'misremembering'. The 1986 EKU game was in Greenville, a first round loss. The game in Kentucky was in 1990, and we blew them out before heading to Nevada the next week and losing in 3OT. I also distinctly remember the smell of the cow pasture blowing in from across the road!
The smell of manure is the first memory that comes to mind of this trip!
 #21461  by purplehorse
 Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:45 pm
din23 wrote:
You are correct. I remember the pathetic visitors side at EKU. I could have sworn we lost that game but FACTS prove me wrong. Easier to confuse a few things when that was so long ago.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.