• SHORT YARDAGE

#20630  by AlValonge
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:50 pm
We have A LOT of work to do on our short yardage game. There have been several times this year that we have not gotten any push from our O -line and today was a glaring example. We have got to get much better at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball if we are going be perennial contenders for the SoCon & playoffs. We were pushed around today more than I care to mention and the same thing happened vs. Citadel. DANG IT- I can't take losing to WOFFY AND THE BELLHOPS in the same year!!!!
 #20636  by AlValonge
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:01 pm
Good point. The play calling was baffling and unfortunately our QB play was not very good...
 #20638  by dhgolfer
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:02 pm
why keep trying to run the middle when it was not working? not scoring twice from inside the 10 was terrible.
 #20639  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:04 pm
dhgolfer wrote:
why keep trying to run the middle when it was not working? not scoring twice from inside the 10 was terrible.
I mean, Furman hasn't been held out from scoring in the red zone all season and we handed it to arguably the league's best running back. It wasn't a sexy call, but I get it.

We have virtually no passing game in short yardage. Teams don't concern themselves with it. Wofford knew what was coming. They beat us.
 #20641  by furpal81
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:08 pm
Was CTS back in the booth today with all those calls up the middle?
 #20643  by Bootie
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:13 pm
On one hand, coach-speak would say you gotta keep 'em honest and run some of those up-the-middle plays every now and then even if it hasn't been successful. On the other hand, when it hasn't worked all day, seems odd to go to it, especially when you need it. When we lined up for our 4th and goal at the end I said to my neighbor, "Don't go up the middle, don't go up the middle..."

Stuffed up the middle.
 #20644  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:15 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:04 pm
dhgolfer wrote:
I mean, Furman hasn't been held out from scoring in the red zone all season and we handed it to arguably the league's best running back. It wasn't a sexy call, but I get it.

We have virtually no passing game in short yardage. Teams don't concern themselves with it. Wofford knew what was coming. They beat us.
Today is a good example of how transitive doesn’t work in football. Turnovers and MATCHUPS matter a lot. Sam beat Wof. We killed Sam by 40 or something. Chatt not only took Woff to OT but put 28 points on Woff in regulation. We beat Chatt on road. Put 35 on Chatt. We score 7 vs Woff

Jackal I agree we have to keep developing that passing game. I don’t much but I know 13/30 passing won’t win many games. This game was so similar to Citadel in several ways. LOS. Our passing game
 #20648  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:43 pm
I like our offensive system a lot. The big concern I have is against teams that have the athletes to stuff the middle of the field. We are just so inconsistent in the passing game.

Guys were open today. Wofford's defense was stout, but we had options.
Bootie liked this
 #20652  by FUBeAR
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:07 pm
#LowManWins
 #20657  by purplehorse
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:31 pm
We were flying high heading to Samford two years ago and as I recall twice we were inside the 5 and did not score TD’s. Two weeks later Wofford pretty much man-handled us in the playoffs on both sides of the line of scrimmage. After two years of CCH coaching I was hoping we would be bigger and stronger and better in the trenches today. Maybe we have gotten better but I personally could not see evidence of that today. Wofford has beaten us 5 of 6 games and a large part of that is that they are still better in the trenches! I do not know why.

I would love to learn from today, get in playoffs, win first round and beat Wofford in the second round. That would be a nice ending to 2019.

Quarterback play and lack of consistency turns out to have bitten us a couple of times this year including today but today was more of a TEAM loss.
 #20660  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:39 pm
Given what was on the line why the today the lack of emotion was a head scratcher. We were just flat all day.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.