• #7 Furman @ #20 Wofford (Nov. 16)(SoCon Championship Game)

#20085  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:41 pm
Watched the replay of the FU/VMI game - amazing what a passing game will do when a team loads the box. Jackal was correct VMI played a lot of 5-3 sometimes had six and seven up on the line.

After watching the replay - may be the thing that impresses me the most is the patience shown by the offense. Since CCH's arrival - we've gotten spoiled by lots of explosive plays.

Yesterday, we stayed patient, and worked our way down the field but taking what the defense was giving the Dins.

Wofford will have to make some decisions - much like what VMI did. Do you shut down the inside run (Wynn, Abrams, Watkins, Roberto) and force Sission to hit passes? With the power running game - I just don't see Wofford keeping the Furman ground game in check for four quarters.

Sisson proved he is accurate and makes excellent decisions and he's a very good passer when he scrambles. Excited to see how our energized offense plays.
FUKA61, PalaDad, QCGlue liked this
 #20086  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:13 pm
I meant to add this to my post above - I think it deserves a separate comment. Since we were down 9-0 against the Mocs our play calling has been very aggressive. In years past we'd get a lead and play to end the game. I've never understood why you wouldn't try to get your backups in-game meaning reps?

I was excited to see Coach Quarles let Grainger and Hardin play and not just run basic run stuff.

Leave no doubt Saturday.
PalaDad, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #20087  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:19 pm
A few thoughts on this one.

When looking at Wofford, I think it is worth noting that Furman is the best FCS team Wofford has seen this year. They have not played the Citadel either.

The Terrier defense has been susceptible to big backs. VMI's Alex Ramsey ran for 200+ against them. UTC's Ford went for 140. Tyray Devezin went for 106 last week. Furman should be able to church up some yards on the ground. They'll give up some size up front.

We really gave them a lot of problems last year passing to running backs. Again, if we can run the ball effectively and then start with play action, we'll put a lot of pressure on them. It will be interesting to see if they take the approach VMI/the Citadel did and try to load up the box.

Offensively, they look a bit like we do. Their backs are smaller and shiftier. They don't have the dominant fullback type. They still work in a lot of option elements, but spend most of the time out of the shotgun.

Key for Furman on defense is making tackles. Their backs are very elusive, and we are going to have to get those guys on the ground. Like most run-first type teams, you want to get them behind the sticks and in predictable passing situations.

Bottom line, both of these teams have seen this game coming for a while. They prepare for one another in the preseason. This one will come down to execution and want to
 #20088  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:20 pm
AstroDin wrote:
I meant to add this to my post above - I think it deserves a separate comment. Since we were down 9-0 against the Mocs our play calling has been very aggressive. In years past we'd get a lead and play to end the game. I've never understood why you wouldn't try to get your backups in-game meaning reps?

I was excited to see Coach Quarles let Grainger and Hardin play and not just run basic run stuff.

Leave no doubt Saturday.
This staff clearly makes getting backups reps a priority. What's been great for Furman, is that there hasn't been much of a drop off with the reserves in the game.
DeepPurple liked this
 #20096  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:22 pm
AstroDin wrote:

Leave no doubt Saturday.
Astro I completely agree. COMPLETELY

Teams that leave starters in when well ahead make two crucial mistakes - One. Your starters could get hurt. That’s just dumb honestly if up 25 W 10 minutes left.
Two. Getting backups meaningful rep is huge. I always think this is cyclic for teams like NDSU. If they lose a guy the backup already has two hundred plays of experience and that pays dividends. Or next year when that guy is a starter he already has a game or two worth of experience.

Glad we are doing this now !!! Glad we get ahead and CAN do this.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.