• Postgame VMI Thoughts

#20022  by purplehorse
 Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:16 pm
As has often been the case, our defense was better in the second half than the first. Good job!

Offense had 8 TD’s, 1 FG, 1 missed FG by backup, 2 dropped passes that were TD’s (Anderson long pass by Grainger and pass a little low at 2 yard line to receiver from Grainger) and a single punt in the first half.

Best TD-long run by Wynn for his fifth TD. Boy did he put a move on the D just beyond the line of scrimmage.

Good recovery by Grainger today. Great game by Sisson and Gordon.

BEAT WOFFORD!
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #20024  by cavedweller2
 Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:56 pm
We must improve. We had 8 incomplete passes.
 #20025  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:02 pm
That's the fourth time this season our defense has pitched a shutout in the second half.

Excellent effort. Exactly what we needed to do.

When we are able to complete passes, our offense is incredibly tough to stop. Too many playmakers.
FUKA61, dornb, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #20047  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:32 pm
I didn't really notice this in real time, but watching the highlights you see VMI in a somewhat rare 5-3 front.

As Coach Hendrix noted, they were just "daring" us to throw the ball.
 #20052  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:48 pm
Check out this defense. VMI has 8 players within 5 yards of the LOS.

Beautiful play design, too. Isolates the ROLB and confuses him about what he's supposed to do.

Abrams is pretty special. Big back that can block, run, and catch.
AstroDin liked this
 #20054  by din23
 Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:48 pm
Check out this defense. VMI has 8 players within 5 yards of the LOS.

Beautiful play design, too. Isolates the ROLB and confuses him about what he's supposed to do.

Abrams is pretty special. Big back that can block, run, and catch.
We had run this same play to the right side in the first half, and had the LB or DL not batted the pass down, he may have run the length of the field on that one as well. I was waiting for the coaches to come back to it, and they did.
 #20055  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:18 pm
Our offense is just so tough to defend when we start mixing the backs into the passing game.

The OLB on that play is just in a no win situation. It's almost impossible for him to diagnose that play in real time.
 #20056  by AstroDin
 Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:28 pm
Hamp is one cool quarterback - his play for 2.5 quarters was impressive. I also thought Grainger played well, played confident and deserved better - great pass that was dropped.

The future looks bright with Chizik and Blackshear - and we add a wicked corner next year in Micah Robinson.

Congrats to London Lewis getting his first sack and extensive PT.

Devin Abrams is the real deal. Roberto is a hoss! Gordon is playing his best ball at the right time, I'd look for a big game in Sparklesburg next Saturday.

Loved the piss and vinegar the o-lined showed after the horse-collar tackle.

As great as Furman played - the three gentlemen who are World War Two veterans were something special.

Salute!
gman84, Horse, PalaDad and 4 others liked this
 #20060  by tya1
 Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:44 pm
After scoring 32 in the first half the final total of 60 might not be a surprise but shutting down the VMI offense so completely was. What was the difference? Greater effort? Comfort with reading their offense by our defense? An emotional letdown by VMI after we came out hot in the third quarter?

Whatever we did, I hope it works as well against Wofford.
dornb liked this
 #20062  by FUPlayer74
 Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:17 pm
tya1 wrote:
After scoring 32 in the first half the final total of 60 might not be a surprise but shutting down the VMI offense so completely was. What was the difference? Greater effort? Comfort with reading their offense by our defense? An emotional letdown by VMI after we came out hot in the third quarter?

I give a ton of credit to Coach Vaughn and staff for the adjustments made.
FUKA61 liked this
 #20072  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:35 am
tya1 wrote:

I think there are a few things.

First, there's no question we are making adjustments. This was the 4th time we've shut out an opponent in the second half. Other than the Citadel, no FCS team has scored more than 8 points on our defense in the second half.

Second, I've also made the argument a number of times that we are deeper in the defensive backfield than we've been in a long time. If we can get a lead and teams are having to start throwing, we can just create so many matchup problems with personnel packages.

Just an example. 2nd in 10 in the 3rd Q. VMI is still in the game. Furman has at least 3 CBs and 2 safeties on the field. The two ILBs appear to be Wilkins and Willis (LB/S SPURS). So, VMI is having to throw into essentially 7 man coverage with 7 guys that are excellent coverage players. Udinski is great QB, but that's a tough ask with a pass rush coming at him.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.