• Grayson Atkins Appreciation Post

#19392  by fufanatic
 Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:57 pm
Because I don't think we praise him enough on here, I would like to point out how steady he's been this season. Clearly the best triple-threat option in the SoCon, and without doing any research, has to be at the top or close nationally regardless of division.

Punting (SoCon/FCS)
Boasts the longest punt this year in SoCon/T-15th FCS
AVG - 2nd SoCon/would be top 25 in FCS if he met minimum requirement of 3.6 punts a game (he's averaging 3.375 a game)

Field Goals (SoCon/FCS)
Boast the second longest FG this year in SoCon/T-4th FCS
FG% - 2nd SoCon/T-4th FCS (was obviously 1st nationally before the miss at WCU)

Kickoffs
* Can't find kickoff numbers nationally, but he has touchbacks in 30 of 46 attempts, with only 1 kick going out of bounds, which places him 2nd in the SoCon behind The Citadel kicker, who has 32 touchbacks in 45 attempts (also 1 kick out of bounds).
Davemeister, MNORM, FUKA61 and 4 others liked this
 #19399  by Flagman
 Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:23 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Because I don't think we praise him enough on here, I would like to point out how steady he's been this season. Clearly the best triple-threat option in the SoCon, and without doing any research, has to be at the top or close nationally regardless of division.

Punting (SoCon/FCS)
AVG - 2nd SoCon/would be top 25 in FCS if he met minimum requirement of 3.6 punts a game (he's averaging 3.375 a game)
So, he gets penalized because the team he plays for is so good, he doesn't get to punt.

Field Goals (SoCon/FCS)
Someone in the SoCon has one longer than the 56 yarder he got at Western?

Kickoffs
* Can't find kickoff numbers nationally, but he has touchbacks in 30 of 46 attempts, with only 1 kick going out of bounds, which places him 2nd in the SoCon behind The Citadel kicker, who has 32 touchbacks in 45 attempts (also 1 kick out of bounds).
 #19400  by fufanatic
 Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:51 pm
Flagman wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

Punting (SoCon/FCS)
So, he gets penalized because the team he plays for is so good, he doesn't get to punt.

Field Goals (SoCon/FCS)

Kickoffs
Lol, thought the same thing RE: not meeting the punts per game requirement. 3.6 seems a high threshold. Averaging 1 a game should do it, as that would still weed out the players that may have punted a few times for their team over the course of the season. And to your second question ... yes, VMI's kicker had a 56 yarder earlier in the year.
 #19418  by aqualung
 Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 am
Grayson is an absolute BEAST and has already established himself as the GOAT at this position at FU. What makes his recent accomplishments even more impressive is when you consider how few FG attempts he has had. Only 9 attempts this year is very few. A FG has a very different rhythm to it vs. a PAT in terms of the pre-kick process. When you only get an average of about 1 shot per game it's more difficult to stay dialed in versus most kickers that are basically getting almost 2x the attempts. Same deal last year where he went 11/13. He obviously does a great job staying mentally prepared which takes work. Just outstanding!
QCGlue liked this
 #19447  by fufanatic
 Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:11 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:43 pm
Hope he comes back for his senior year. He could go pro after this season. The best I have ever seen.
People say this about a lot of positions in the NFL, but there really are so few kickers in the league. 99% of the teams carry one kicker and one punter. That's it. Maybe a really promising one gets tossed on the practice squad. Maybe. So I would be really nervous of him going pro early. Could be great and beat out others for a starting spot immediately, or could be stuck hanging at home waiting for a call ... or playing in another league. My hope is that he comes back to Furman for one more year and sets all the kicking/punting/kickoff records. But if he doesn't, I hope he takes advantage of the grad transfer rule, goes to a school competing for an FBS national title, wins the job, and gets a masters degree for free.
 #19453  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:09 pm
Flagman wrote:
Field Goals (SoCon/FCS)
I believe the FG @ WCU was officially recorded as 55 yds. It was spotted down outside the 45 yd line, but I don’t think it touched the 56. I think that’s how they score it officially...has to touch the line...so a 55 yd, 35 inch FG is recorded as a 55 yd FG.

VMI’s Kicker made a 56 yarder at the end of regulation @Samford to send the game into OT and on to a VMI win. Samford fans...and their Head Coach...are still crying that the long kick was made AFTER the end of regulation & claiming they rightfully won the game - kinda like WCU’s Team having SoCon Champions T-Shirts made up in ‘83 when they finished a half game behind the real SoCon Champions, Furman, but had tied FU in the regular season, and edged out the Paladins in the Playoff semi’s. WCU then went down to Charleston to play in the I-AA Championship Game and was blown the, um, heck out by the Southern Illinois Salukis. But...who knew the present-day concept of the ‘participation trophy’ originated in Cullowhee, NC in the 80’s.
 #19455  by PaladinPower
 Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:05 am
Not sure if there much truth to it, but I heard from his little brother that Grayson wants to graduate early and grad transfer to a well known FBS school to then go pro. I’d love to add him ion my fantasy team. :D
 #19458  by cavedweller2
 Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:06 am
Theres a school 30 miles from FU campus that plays at a pretty high level that needs kicking help. I forget the name.
 #19460  by fufanatic
 Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:46 am
I believe I heard he wanted to go to Clemson his whole life and was bummed when they didn't offer. Wonder if he's forgiven them?
 #19470  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:56 pm
Mercer’s Long Snapper ‘16-‘18 is now the starting long snapper for an SEC Team that wears red & black and has a G on their helmets. Just the way it is these days. Don’t think I would have bailed on my brothers of 3+ years for brighter lights back in my day...but I don’t know...maybe I would have. Just, genuinely, wish ‘em well and hope their future matches their ambitions.
 #19472  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:11 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:46 am
I believe I heard he wanted to go to Clemson his whole life and was bummed when they didn't offer. Wonder if he's forgiven them?
Wish him the best but hey Grayson, if the Tigers didn’t want you the first time stick with the good guys that did! Actually buddy told me Dabo has only taken about two grad transfers. So if he’s even lookin at leavin at all maybe it’s somewhere else

How come Carson Wentz mr NUMBER TWO draft pick didn’t leave NDSU? I mean if any position they want to see you play vs FBS it’s gotta be QB. not saying Grayson is leaving but if this occurs kicking is kicking at any level (Vinaterri played at SDSU). Of all positions kicking is same at all levels I think

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.