• WCU Postgame

#19269  by Bootie
 Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:46 pm
 #19273  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:11 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:01 pm
Anytime you get a win in Cullowhee its good. Strange things happen up there and in Boone.
74, I Agree. And all road wins are good.

I was, however, surprised how similar the records were home & away in this series —-
Greenville - 17-6-1
Cullowhee - 16-6-1. (Counting today :)

Good job Dins!!!
 #19275  by purplehorse
 Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:57 pm
I could imagine the season unraveling in the first half. Glad we took the suspense out of it in the second half. A win is a win is a win.
din23 liked this
 #19281  by CharlieFU
 Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:38 pm
Still can’t believe Jarrett House is closed. I had the brisket at Haywood Smokehouse in Dillsboro. Very good.

Yes, my little road trips are all about good eats. And football.
 #19285  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:12 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:38 pm
Still can’t believe Jarrett House is closed. I had the brisket at Haywood Smokehouse in Dillsboro. Very good.

Yes, my little road trips are all about good eats. And football.
Sorry about that. I know about going for the eats :)
 #19292  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:09 am
My worst fears have come true. FU has become WC and WC has become FU.
Today:
FU 4 completions
WC 14 completions
:o :o :o :shock:
 #19299  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:46 am
a few thoughts after another soggy game this time on the road in the Wee.

The Western campus in the fall is beautiful. General parking without a parking pass? Just take a left and find anyplace to park. WCU students love to party and stay in the parking lot and party. The football field is not big enough for the WCU band. They were fantastic - good luck to them marching in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.

During warmups, I watched Tyrie come out to take snaps, and it appears Cullowhee does have magic powers as Adams got the start.

1st Furman drive matched Furman up against an inspired Western D from what a fan told me, were playing all they're young 2-stars, 3-star studs on the D line. I have no idea what he was talking about - but they've had injuries, and they lined up their young talent against the Dins. I did think after that first drive; this is not going to be a cakewalk. Then here came the Cats, our D had a hard time with their O line, and we were getting caught in the trash, allowing a long touchdown drive.

I was sitting close enough to hear the roar of Coach Josh Miller - he gave the guys a nice little pep talk.

I brought my brother-in-law to the Wee. He's a Gamecock, but also pulls for the DIns. He was stunned when Furman came back out after the Western timeout and went for it on 4th down. I bring this up for a point. After Western made the stop we both went "oh no."

The D started to play more physical, and from that point on the D line started dominating the line of scrimmage. Game Hat Taylor Hodge.

Then Western misses on their long field goal attempt and I think so far this season one of the most critical drives for Furman happened. With less than forty seconds left till halftime in the rain Grainger delivered.

Grainger put on an ankle-breaking move on a Cat for 16 yards and followed it up with a 22-yard pass to Anderson. Next came some impressive precision as our entire o-line beat the refs to the ball and were lined up with the clock at four ready to snap.

The body posture for the DINS, especially on offense, was like a different team. Grainger looked far more confident, and our o-line just blew the Cats of the ball. You might say this is just Western, maybe your right.

Yesterday the DIns, stood tall against adversity demons.

Kudos to the D for playing fast and physical, our bandit, and corners blew up all the outside stuff the Cats tried. Gilby laid the wood the entire game. I love the spunk of Chizik.

Lastly, Corey Watkins. Devin Wynn is a great back, love the way he's patient yet very difficult to go down on the first hit. Watkins is like a Tesla, he has as fast an instant accelerator that I've seen.

My brother-in-law noticed something that IMO will make for some matchup issues the rest of the way. The empty back set with a combination of receivers and tailbacks was impressive. I pity the linebackers trying to cover Anderson/Wynn/Watkins. I bet we see this again.
MNORM, gman84, FUBeAR and 1 others liked this
 #19305  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:29 am
You can really see the frustration of CCH in regards to the passing game in that interview. Fifth game in a row with 6 completions or less. Without looking it up I believe this has never happen in FU football history. In fact you'd prolly have a hard time finding 2 games in a row with 6 or less completions much less 5. This has to improve if we are going to achieve any of the goals. It must start this weekend.
 #19309  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:29 am
You can really see the frustration of CCH in regards to the passing game in that interview. Fifth game in a row with 6 completions or less. Without looking it up I believe this has never happen in FU football history. In fact you'd prolly have a hard time finding 2 games in a row with 6 or less completions much less 5. This has to improve if we are going to achieve any of the goals. It must start this weekend.
You just can't help it can you?

Go back and look at Renaldo Gray's numbers in 2006, his junior year. Incredibly similar numbers to Grainger's. You can create parameters around any player's numbers and say "this has never been done before." That says nothing. Means nothing.

We are not a volume passing team. Grainger completed 6 passes against Samford (gasp!) and we scored 58. We are scoring close to 32 ppg in conference play and surrendering 13.6. What exactly is it you want to see?

Could we have a few more completions? Sure. Every team could.

Consider Robert Riddle. Some consider him the SoCon's top QB. His passer rating is actually 20 points lower than Graingers. Why? He throws a bunch of balls to the other team. Grainger isn't. He's had ups and downs, but what he isn't doing is throwing a bunch of ill advised passes.

Give the kid some time to grow. We're in first place. We have nearly a +20 point differential. What do you want, style points?
FurmanMom60, Paladin575 liked this
 #19310  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:06 pm
Ok you're right, let's just ignore that we scored 28 points against a team the rest of the league has averaged 51 points against and that we scored 10 last week against a D giving up 37+ points a game when we played them. We're rolling. I am sure we will just run all over UTC and WC and will not need a passing game. :lol: :lol:
 #19312  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:06 pm
Ok you're right, let's just ignore that we scored 28 points against a team the rest of the league has averaged 51 points against and that we scored 10 last week against a D giving up 37+ points a game when we played them. We're rolling. I am sure we will just run all over UTC and WC and will not need a passing game. :lol: :lol:
You should absolutely ignore it. You are just making generalizations with no context.

1. Clay Hendrix doesn't care about running up a point margin. He pulled his starters midway through the 4th quarter. He was running fullback dives on 3rd and 14. They were simply trying to run the clock out not put another 14 points on the board.

Furman's last pass attempt was the 36 yard touchdown pass to Gordon midway through the 3rd Quarter. Does that sound like a team trying to hang 50?

2. WCU moved as slow as their team ever has under Mark Speir. They wanted to limit Furman's possessions. They had a 9 minute drive in the first quarter and there were only three TOTAL possessions in that quarter. We had, what, 5 total possessions in the first half and scored on three of them. WCU was absolutely trying to shorten the game and limit Furman's ability to score.

3. Other teams have put up a lot of points on them, but few teams have actually faced Tyrie Adams. Their backup is a huge drop off and their offense stinks without Adams. Bad offense - more punts - more possessions at midfield for the opposition. Look at the WCU/Wofford game stats and see how many times Wofford took possession of a drive at midfield.

Again, where would you be satisfied with the effort? 35-7? 42-7? 100-7?
FurmanMom60, Paladin575 liked this
 #19314  by Thorny
 Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:01 pm
Still expecting Furman to make a respectable run in the playoffs.