• CCH

CCH

#18912  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:51 pm
In his postgame presser you could see the disappointment, frustration and the "I really thought we were better than this" look on his face. He pointed out some stats, 3-14 on third down conversions and 5-25 on passing and said you are not going to beat anyone with that. He also noted the missed opportunities in the first half. He congratulated the Citadel and said the obvious that FU was out coached and outplayed in every phase of the game. It's hard to figure out why the offense had such a poor performance yesterday but even more concerning is that this is twice in the last 3 games the offense has had a bad day to say the least. After arguably the best offensive performance against Samford I got way too excited, like most here and thought all was righted and this team was headed for a deep playoff run. The 2 bad offensive performances have not come against stellar defenses. ETSU has given up over 400 yards to every SoCon team except FU(268). FU had a paltry 216 yds yesterday. The CItadel's best defensive performance before yesterday was 336 yds against WCU. The we are not who we think we are really hits home here. I guess the word here is consistency or better the lack there of. I have all the confidence in the world in CCH and his staff and I have no idea how the rest of the season will pan out but I do know if the offense doesn't play well every week we are in trouble. We are headed in the right direction but like most here I jumped the gun and now realize we are not close to being where we want and have a long,
long way to go.
Affirm liked this
 #18914  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:28 pm
apaladin wrote:
In his postgame presser you could see the disappointment, frustration and the "I really thought we were better than this" look on his face. He pointed out some stats, 3-14 on third down conversions and 5-25 on passing and said you are not going to beat anyone with that. He also noted the missed opportunities in the first half. He congratulated the Citadel and said the obvious that FU was out coached and outplayed in every phase of the game. It's hard to figure out why the offense had such a poor performance yesterday but even more concerning is that this is twice in the last 3 games the offense has had a bad day to say the least. After arguably the best offensive performance against Samford I got way too excited, like most here and thought all was righted and this team was headed for a deep playoff run. The 2 bad offensive performances have not come against stellar defenses. ETSU has given up over 400 yards to every SoCon team except FU(268). FU had a paltry 216 yds yesterday. The CItadel's best defensive performance before yesterday was 336 yds against WCU. The we are not who we think we are really hits home here. I guess the word here is consistency or better the lack there of. I have all the confidence in the world in CCH and his staff and I have no idea how the rest of the season will pan out but I do know if the offense doesn't play well every week we are in trouble. We are headed in the right direction but like most here I jumped the gun and now realize we are not close to being where we want and have a long,
long way to go.
100% right AP. We scored 10 points vs a team that gave up 60 to Samford and 40? Or so to VMI. TEN. The offensive stats are just mind boggling bad.

I still love our win over Sammy as we kept losing to them and I wanted that win bad. but they have.a horrible D. Horrible.

Same w Mercer - loved the win but that’s a bad D

Every time we play a stronger D we struggle. Sounds obvious but it Is a little deeper than that. We Score 58 on Sammy. we Score 10 v. Citadel. Citadel v Sammy ended at 38-38 regulation. That doesnt quite fit. I woulda guessed we score at least 25 minimum in Citadel. Minimum

We score 40+ on Mercer. Then get 17 on ETSU. ETSU gave up 35 to Woff.

Our O seems to have too much variance right now. . We can rout teams w bad D but struggle more than would be expected Vs good D. sure we should score less vs good defenses. Just not that much less

Western has bad D. Then it gets real w the other conference contenders ! Woff Chatt VMI. though vmi worries me less - bad D!
 #18917  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:52 pm
Agree GF but the ETSU and Citadel D's were only good against us.
 #18920  by Affirm
 Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:14 pm
apaladin wrote:
long way to go.
ME TOO !! (To what you said above.)
I was not so sure as a lot of folks apparently were that we would not have a struggle to get by Citadel.
...But, the last time I said “me too” on here was last week replying to Flagman’s “I’ll be in Frisco (on Jan 11 instead of at the MBB game at the Well)” post. I thought we might win out and get even higher in polls and get a bye and 1 or 2 home games.
I deleted THAT “me too” post during the latter part of yesterday’s FB debacle.
 #18924  by purplehorse
 Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:29 pm
Honestly I am not sure “which team” is the true identity of our team. Anybody can beat anybody on a given day. But the ETSU and Citadel games make you wonder.

CCH has been very complimentary of our team until yesterday-we were a really good team, we were faster, stronger, in better shape, had more depth etc. That may be true comparing year-to-year progress but the best answer of how good we are comes from the results on the field. Only time will tell.

I do think CCH will get the job done over time.
 #18927  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:52 pm
Agree GF but the ETSU and Citadel D's were only good against us.
AP, you got me curious to look. FACTS dont have time for FEELINGS baby ! FACTS is FACTS not distorted in any way:

you are right:
ETSU points allowed in SoCon
VMI (regulation) 24..
Furman 17
Woff 35
Chatt (with half their offense hurt like Nunnelly and Price etc) - 16
so we are definitely on the lower end of the scale

Citadel held SoCon opponents to these score outputs:
Samford 38
VMI 34
western 17
Furman 10

WOW - that is harsh and just facts. everyone scores on citadel EXCEPT US. VMI and Sam put 30s on Citadel

you are right AP

Its almost like we would rather face a strong O - Samford say... as long as the opposing D is poor to moderate. 2017 was like that in that good DL play was the one thing we couldn't overcome. still, I think this team has better OL play etc. than 2017. We just have to complete a freakin pass and .. convert a few third and one plays
apaladin liked this
 #18976  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:45 am
I saw a few of the old guard UFFPers listening in on CCH's presser.

I'm so grateful Clay is our head coach, I have no doubt he will build a successful program.

Most of the jabs posted here about the team's performance were addressed.

From the passing game, playing Hamp, defending the option. Immaturity mentally and physically, busted plays, wrong technique, offensive line play. My best advice is to go re-listen on Facebook.

I want to say something that's been bothering me since the start of the season, I've mentioned to several posters in private this. From day one some have overly, and unfairly been critical of Darren Grainger. I could say more, but I'll leave it at that - I'm growing tired of this… BS!

I'm not going to read into why Clay said this, he said Darren cares as much as IF not more than another player about the team. And he saw it in his eyes after the game Saturday. He wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the first player on the field at practice today. He closed with that's why I like him.

This is a young team, with few seniors, sadly with few senior leaders… I'd watch for who steps up. Based on Clay's comments I feel confident that the DINS we kick some tail at the WEE.

Guys, we were all disappointed, we all care a great deal, we have high expectations. We have to remember these young men and their families, as well as the coaches, read this board. We have the right to speak our mind as long as it doesn't tread into the rules of engagement per Stump and the mods.

Clay said he feels part of the problem has been a focus on the big picture (national ranking) and not the task at hand, showing up each week against every SoCon team. The path to the BIG picture starts with winning the SoCon it doesn't matter how many passing yards we have, etc… it's just about the win.

Go DIns!
gman84, MNORM, purplehorse and 4 others liked this
 #18978  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:56 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:45 am
I saw a few of the old guard UFFPers listening in on CCH's presser.

I'm so grateful Clay is our head coach, I have no doubt he will build a successful program.

Most of the jabs posted here about the team's performance were addressed.

From the passing game, playing Hamp, defending the option. Immaturity mentally and physically, busted plays, wrong technique, offensive line play. My best advice is to go re-listen on Facebook.

I want to say something that's been bothering me since the start of the season, I've mentioned to several posters in private this. From day one some have overly, and unfairly been critical of Darren Grainger. I could say more, but I'll leave it at that - I'm growing tired of this… BS!

I'm not going to read into why Clay said this, he said Darren cares as much as IF not more than another player about the team. And he saw it in his eyes after the game Saturday. He wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the first player on the field at practice today. He closed with that's why I like him.

This is a young team, with few seniors, sadly with few senior leaders… I'd watch for who steps up. Based on Clay's comments I feel confident that the DINS we kick some tail at the WEE.

Guys, we were all disappointed, we all care a great deal, we have high expectations. We have to remember these young men and their families, as well as the coaches, read this board. We have the right to speak our mind as long as it doesn't tread into the rules of engagement per Stump and the mods.

Clay said he feels part of the problem has been a focus on the big picture (national ranking) and not the task at hand, showing up each week against every SoCon team. The path to the BIG picture starts with winning the SoCon it doesn't matter how many passing yards we have, etc… it's just about the win.

Go DIns!
Astro I agree but you could see part of the blame (CH said the exact same thing) is on the youth. We can't be so infatuated with youth. It cost us some yesterday - I watched certain players Fr and R-Fr make bad reads

I also caught the part about needing leaders... that said it is not really a young team.. 3 of our OL may leave after this year and 2 of the 4 starting LBs (Willis and Perryman) and Thomas Gordon and two of the best DBs (Trapp and Weems) and Okeh at safety - that is NOT a young team in terms of starters who play 70% + of our plays .. and Tibbs at DE.

somewhere between 8 or 9 guys are graduating leaving. The OL and LBs and DBs are VERY experienced

Also, I think you are a little defensive of the team Geno.. no one has JABBED at them. Actually, we haven't even pushed Stumpy's rules. He said you could hammer a unit as long as you didn't name names. Like you are absolutely allowed per Stumpy to say "the LBs SUCKED!" you just couldn't say which one didn't scrape off the blocks quick enough. I haven't really seen anyone pushing those rules.

Anyway, Winning at the Wee really won't prove much - it's not saying anything to say "we kick some tail at the wee". We are probably 30 point favorites. LOL Woff just beat em 59-7 and they may not have Tyrie Adams. WCU hasn't won a SINGLE DIVISION ONE game !! Western is a D2 team for all purposes. real big to say "we will kick tail at the wee" OF COURSE we will. they have ONE win - over D2 North Grenville by 3 points! win the next two weeks w Chatt and I will think we aer back to where we can make playoffs.
 #18996  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:20 pm
Astro I agree but you could see part of the blame (CH said the exact same thing) is on the youth. We can't be so infatuated with youth. It cost us some yesterday - I watched certain players Fr and R-Fr make bad reads.
Not sure what you want the coaches to do? You play the best players you got, we have to play a lot of freshmen and sophomores. It is what it is.

I also caught the part about needing leaders... that said it is not really a young team.. 3 of our OL may leave after this year and 2 of the 4 starting LBs (Willis and Perryman) and Thomas Gordon and two of the best DBs (Trapp and Weems) and Okeh at safety - that is NOT a young team in terms of starters who play 70% + of our plays .. and Tibbs at DE. Again I said we appear to be lacking leaders from any class, players need to step up.

somewhere between 8 or 9 guys are graduating leaving. The OL and LBs and DBs are VERY experienced.
The OL is experienced - Clay said they didn't play well? Next. At DB we are and we aren't experienced - Blackshear and Chizik see a lot of PT both freshmen.

Also, I think you are a little defensive of the team Geno.. no one has JABBED at them. Actually, we haven't even pushed Stumpy's rules. He said you could hammer a unit as long as you didn't name names. Like you are absolutely allowed per Stumpy to say "the LBs SUCKED!" you just couldn't say which one didn't scrape off the blocks quick enough. I haven't really seen anyone pushing those rules. Still, BS! Some on here have jabbed at DG from day one. As far as jabbs on the team - you are jabbing at the passing game, the option D, that is your right to a point, although I don't get what you expect to happen other than just reaction and say I told you so

Anyway, Winning at the Wee really won't prove much - it's not saying anything to say "we kick some tail at the wee". We are probably 30 point favorites. LOL Woff just beat em 59-7 and they may not have Tyrie Adams. WCU hasn't won a SINGLE DIVISION ONE game !! Western is a D2 team for all purposes. real big to say "we will kick tail at the wee" OF COURSE we will. they have ONE win - over D2 North Grenville by 3 points! win the next two weeks w Chatt and I will think we aer back to where we can make playoffs.
[/quote] Your take, not CCH the only thing that is important is to win at WCU, period. Clay said as much. You can go ahead and start planning your rip on the team for next week and how afraid you are of the MOCS :roll:
 #19003  by purplehorse
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:05 pm
It is hard to talk about the quarterbacks as a group. Grainger had a very bad day at the office but most have bad games at one time or another. I said after GA State I thought he was our QB for the next 3-4 years. I still think that is true. I am sure he would tell you he had a bad game. So comments about players need to be taken in context etc. It was a team loss. I hope he will be one of the best QB to ever play at Furman.

Ingle Martin threw 5 picks at Western in 2005. That was a bad day for a great QB.
AstroDin liked this
 #19005  by MNORM
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:21 pm
purplehorse wrote:
It is hard to talk about the quarterbacks as a group. Grainger had a very bad day at the office but most have bad games at one time or another. I said after GA State I thought he was our QB for the next 3-4 years. I still think that is true. I am sure he would tell you he had a bad game. So comments about players need to be taken in context etc. It was a team loss. I hope he will be one of the best QB to ever play at Furman.

Ingle Martin threw 5 picks at Western in 2005. That was a bad day for a great QB.
You beat me to this.
Darius Fudge made our run defense look putrid that night. It was a beautiful late summer day in the mountains.
Sometimes good teams have a bad day.
gman84 liked this
 #19006  by MNORM
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:22 pm
purplehorse wrote:

You beat me to this.
Darius Fudge made our run defense look putrid that night.
Sometimes good teams have a bad day...even on a beautiful late summer evening in the NC mountains.
Last edited by MNORM on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #19008  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:44 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:20 pm
Astro I agree but you could see part of the blame (CH said the exact same thing) is on the youth. We can't be so infatuated with youth. It cost us some yesterday - I watched certain players Fr and R-Fr make bad reads.
Not sure what you want the coaches to do? You play the best players you got, we have to play a lot of freshmen and sophomores. It is what it is.

I also caught the part about needing leaders... that said it is not really a young team.. 3 of our OL may leave after this year and 2 of the 4 starting LBs (Willis and Perryman) and Thomas Gordon and two of the best DBs (Trapp and Weems) and Okeh at safety - that is NOT a young team in terms of starters who play 70% + of our plays .. and Tibbs at DE. Again I said we appear to be lacking leaders from any class, players need to step up.

somewhere between 8 or 9 guys are graduating leaving. The OL and LBs and DBs are VERY experienced.
The OL is experienced - Clay said they didn't play well? Next. At DB we are and we aren't experienced - Blackshear and Chizik see a lot of PT both freshmen.

Also, I think you are a little defensive of the team Geno.. no one has JABBED at them. Actually, we haven't even pushed Stumpy's rules. He said you could hammer a unit as long as you didn't name names. Like you are absolutely allowed per Stumpy to say "the LBs SUCKED!" you just couldn't say which one didn't scrape off the blocks quick enough. I haven't really seen anyone pushing those rules. Still, BS! Some on here have jabbed at DG from day one. As far as jabbs on the team - you are jabbing at the passing game, the option D, that is your right to a point, although I don't get what you expect to happen other than just reaction and say I told you so

Your take, not CCH the only thing that is important is to win at WCU, period. Clay said as much. You can go ahead and start planning your rip on the team for next week and how afraid you are of the MOCS :roll:
[/quote]

Astro,
explain yourself - why would I rip on the team for next week?

also, my "afraid" is OBVIOUS TO EVERYONE HERE a running jinx fun thing.. On the other hand, if we can lose to Citadel we OUGHT to freakin' be afraid of everyone. clearly the team was NOT afraid enough and didn't come out to fight vs Citadel. So yes, I do fear Chatt - there is not enough margin in any team for us to think we can show up and win.

Astro, I am trying to hold back but Do you know how many people laugh at you in PMs for being so defensive of a FOOTBALL TEAM (a team that is supposed to be TOUGH ) ? Man, my comments hardly hit the level of RIPPING. you must live in a bubble. I got THREE Pms today laughing at you (and that's just me - I don't know how many others there are) how you get so defensive of the team. Its just a football team man. It aint your daddy.

also, after last week I ought to be afraid of EVERYONE - we clearly aren't the tough OL and DL team I thought we were .. we have to go w more deception and passing and can't just run at the stacked box as many of us thought early on.. Heck, I would love to have lucnh with you - offer an olive branch here publicly and break bread together. There is my PUBLIC OFFER. I bet you turn me down despite the chance to do the right thing and show me I was wrong that you would turn me down.. where you wanna grab lunch this week? my treat !!! this answer will be telling. I am putting a peace offering out there.. an olive branch and, as my minister says to always do, offering to break bread with someone. Let's see if you step up - Name the place and day. Thursday // Friday?

THIS WILL SHOW A LOT. ACCEPT MY OFFER and it's impressive. turn down an offer to break bread with a man on a peace offering and that says a lot too. name the time and day - THurs and Fri are great !
 #19011  by gman84
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:09 pm
I don't care what the score is at Western, as long as we win. As CCH said, forget the big picture, focus on the next game.
I remember a Qb in 1988 that had a horrible game in Huntington WV. Numbers similar to this past weekend. That season turned out ok.
GF, you don't want to eat lunch with Astro, he has a Hannibal Lector side to him. :D
AstroDin liked this
 #19012  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:19 pm
It is ok and even expected to have a bad day but it has become a trend. 17-48 the last 3 games with 6, 6, and 5 completions in those games and 35%. Yes Ingle Martin had A bad game, but he came with one score of having a great comeback in that game and we almost won. IIRC correctly he and his teammates beat Pitt the following week, everywhere but the scoreboard. Big difference.