• What's Left

#18866  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:51 pm
Been some crazy scores today. Anything can change from week to week. This is the way I see the remaining 5 games.
1 loss at Wofford
2 toss-ups: at UTC and home with VMI
1 probable win at WCU
1 win vs. Point

If we go 1-1 in the 2 toss-ups we would finish 7-5 and no playoffs. If we go 2-0 then we have a shot at an at-large. So it is a must to win at UTC and at home against VMI if we want to go to the playoffs. Go ahead and give it to me for saying we won't win at WC. After watching today we could not stop the Citadel QB even when we knew he was running it. WC's QB is better and their OL is better. Totally hope I eat crow. Would be a shame after getting in the position we were in and not make the playoffs.
 #18868  by Affirm
 Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:27 pm
—12 games total (8 conference, 4 OOC)
—7 completed (4 conference, 3 OOC)
—4-3 overall (3-1 conference, 1-2 OOC)
—5 to go (4 conference, 1 OOC)
—We could end up anywhere from 4-7 to 9-3 (3-5 to 7-1 conference, 1-3 to 2-3 OOC)
—We could be in playoffs. We may be not in playoffs.
—Not predicting outcomes. Just stating facts.
 #18905  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:15 am
yeah, pre-season I wondered about a FR at QB and guessed 7-5. My expectations have been exceeded so far until yesterday.

it's ok for fans to post about playoffs - it's the team that needs to regroup and go fight going forward.

7-5 good record as winning season but at this point would honestly feel a little empty.

8-4 probably playoffs with our ranking depending on SoCon standing (Citadel and Woff and Chatt maybe beat on each other?) even if not SoCon champ we could get an at-large as that would be 4-1 in remaining 5 and probably top 20.

9-3 win out defnitely playoffs as that means we won the SoCon - to get 9 win season we would have to beat everyone left and that makes us champs with H2H on Chatt regardless
 #18910  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:51 pm
Been some crazy scores today. Anything can change from week to week. This is the way I see the remaining 5 games.
1 loss at Wofford
2 toss-ups: at UTC and home with VMI
1 probable win at WCU
1 win vs. Point

If we go 1-1 in the 2 toss-ups we would finish 7-5 and no playoffs. If we go 2-0 then we have a shot at an at-large. So it is a must to win at UTC and at home against VMI if we want to go to the playoffs. Go ahead and give it to me for saying we won't win at WC. After watching today we could not stop the Citadel QB even when we knew he was running it. WC's QB is better and their OL is better. Totally hope I eat crow. Would be a shame after getting in the position we were in and not make the playoffs.
Let’s hit the breaks on this. What we witnessed yesterday was the worst we are capable of playing. Good. It’s out of our system. You can’t just write off the games where we’ve been at our best. Wofford lost to Samford at home this year. They are capable of bad games. Gotta look at the whole picture. There’s not a bone in my body that believes these players and coaches won’t be better following this loss. One week ago we were talking about seeds and home playoff games. One game went bad. It doesn’t mean that’s the best we’re capable of playing the rest of the year.

5 games left. 5 chances to win. That’s what’s left.
 #18911  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:14 pm
I see your point but not only yesterday but we have had 2 very bad offensive performances in the last 3 games. They were bookends to the best offensive performance. The consistency has to be a concern. Is this offense capable of playing 4 straight games of good productive football? Let's hope so.
 #18993  by Fred Garvin
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:30 pm
Cancel the program. The rapture won't be big enough.....
Paul C, FUBeAR, AstroDin liked this
 #19052  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:39 am
apaladin wrote:
I see your point but not only yesterday but we have had 2 very bad offensive performances in the last 3 games. They were bookends to the best offensive performance. The consistency has to be a concern. Is this offense capable of playing 4 straight games of good productive football? Let's hope so.
Everyone talks about the offense, but I think undersells our defense, which has been the best group in the SoCon.

Our offense doesn't have to put up 40 a game. They have to be better than they were Saturday, but our defense should keep us in every contest.
 #19078  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:39 am
apaladin wrote:
Everyone talks about the offense, but I think undersells our defense, which has been the best group in the SoCon.

Our offense doesn't have to put up 40 a game. They have to be better than they were Saturday, but our defense should keep us in every contest.
Jackal, I agree. interesting as I was having this discussion with another fan. He and I felt we could win at Chatt and WOff w 30ish.. maybe high 20s. I think 25+ woulda beat CItadel as we all know it's not in a bubble - that woulda kept our D off field and maybe been ahead of citadel 17-10 or wahtever.. confidence then builds.. etc. It's very circular and things snowball sometimes. In this day and age it's hard to win w less than 20. We did it vs ETSU but I don't want to have to count on that.

To our D - we are great but better this year in an odd way. For YEARS (forever? :D ) I have always wanted to face option and tough running teams and not passing teams or air-raid. Maybe its the 3-4 and more mobile faster smaller athletes but our D and our team in general is killing passing teams (granted, the O helped them more in both examples) and struggling more v tought hard-nosed running teams:

SOCON
v Mercer win 45-10 (they are 50/50 run pass )
v ETSU win 17-10 (they are more run and inside tackles run than pass )
v Sam win 58-14 (they are more pass than run typically or at least 60/40)
v Citadel LOSS 10-27 (much more run run run)

definte pattern there. not gonna take that too far yet but interesting to watch v Chatt Woff and VMI.
 #19152  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:57 pm
This thought is in the back of my head and I can't get rid of it. The last 2 seasons we have started slow and then finished really strong. This season we got ourselves in a great position and now I can't help thinking it will flip this season and we will not finish strong Does anyone know of anything I can take to get this out of my head? :D
 #19153  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:19 pm
apaladin wrote:
This thought is in the back of my head and I can't get rid of it. The last 2 seasons we have started slow and then finished really strong. This season we got ourselves in a great position and now I can't help thinking it will flip this season and we will not finish strong Does anyone know of anything I can take to get this out of my head? :D
A big dose of a mixture of Tungsten Carbon Uranium should do the trick. It has worked for many others in recent years.

* BTW - Tungsten is also known as Wolfram, for you non-science majors out there (like FUBeAR)
FU3 liked this
 #19159  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:59 am
apaladin wrote:
A chill pill.
FUKA61, FurmanMom60 liked this
 #19163  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:33 am
gman84 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:56 am
I have finally found the Eeyore Club! :D
I want to start a Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo Club… who's with me?
gman84, MNORM liked this