• Post Game Thoughts

#17638  by fu77fan
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:45 pm
- A win is a win is a win! Yes we could have played better, but hopefully we will learn from today’s game.
- The defense played pretty well. The only TD they gave up was after the fumble with a short field.
- Obviously the offense struggled. Grainger
clearly struggled. But hopefully he will learn from it. Our offense is probably not as good as we thought it was, but it can certainly be good.
- We can not take any game for granted. This game will help us moving forward.
- The sign of a good team is that they find a way to win when they do not play their best.

GO Furman
Paladawg, AlValonge and 1 others liked this
 #17651  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:32 pm
fu77fan wrote:
- A win is a win is a win! Yes we could have played better, but hopefully we will learn from today’s game.
- The defense played pretty well. The only TD they gave up was after the fumble with a short field.
clearly struggled. But hopefully he will learn from it. Our offense is probably not as good as we thought it was, but it can certainly be good.
- The sign of a good team is that they find a way to win when they do not play their best.

GO Furman
This, never want to hear how we will cruise. NEVER
 #17655  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:43 pm
Offense

Things didn't look great. ETSU, perhaps moreso than any team we've played, shifted their defensive line immediately before the snap. That seemed to confuse our offensive line, which didn't have their best game. ETSU also looked to bring a lot of pressure. They have defensive backs that could hold their own up there.

Deluca had one of the plays of the season on that long pass catch. Armstrong also had a massive pickup on a third down. Passing game wasn't there most of the day, but it was there when we needed it.

Hope Watkins is ok.

Defense

Looked great on a day when the offense really wasn't producing. Forced turnovers and tackling improved over the course of the day.

ETSU's offense is a lot of what we are going to see from Wofford and, to some degree, Citadel - run heavy, tight offensive line splits, just trying to lean on a defense. That we stood tall bodes well for the future.
 #17658  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:52 pm
I'll have to watch replay but I just hope for best for our guys. - Watkins obviously but man there was a 5min period we had a D player go down every play. on one play we had TWO guys down. 44 Perryman had to leave but I think he returned, Gilby was Gimpy but toughed it out, Blackshear went down but looked ok, Wynn took a tough hit

So Glad to see Weems back out there !!!!! Great man to return for his R-Senior year to help us!!
 #17659  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:58 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:52 pm
I'll have to watch replay but I just hope for best for our guys. - Watkins obviously but man there was a 5min period we had a D player go down every play. on one play we had TWO guys down. 44 Perryman had to leave but I think he returned, Gilby was Gimpy but toughed it out, Blackshear went down but looked ok, Wynn took a tough hit

So Glad to see Weems back out there !!!!! Great man to return for his R-Senior year to help us!!
With Weems back, we should be able to throw a lot of DBs at Samford.

We've never really been able to play Samford with 5 or 6 DBs on the field.
 #17665  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:20 pm
fu77fan wrote:

GO Furman
Don't forget our Special teams. they were outstanding today !!! FG made XP made .. punt return by Trapp.. Good punts that we gained field position vs their punter. We were gaining 10 yards per punt w Atkins vs their punter
 #17671  by AlValonge
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:15 pm
I think this is one of those games where you have to tip your hat to your opponent and be thankful that you had the horses to pull out the win. Our defense played great and made the plays when they needed to make them and the getting those turnovers was crucial. ETSU kept Grainger uncomfortable all day and they were disruptive once they made some adjustments and started shutting down some of our running plays. I wasn't crazy about our play calling and it felt that we were too conservative at times. Anyways, I am betting that Grainger will play better next game and we have plenty of tape to watch. Go FU!
 #17680  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:03 pm
AlValonge wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:15 pm
I think this is one of those games where you have to tip your hat to your opponent and be thankful that you had the horses to pull out the win. Our defense played great and made the plays when they needed to make them and the getting those turnovers was crucial. ETSU kept Grainger uncomfortable all day and they were disruptive once they made some adjustments and started shutting down some of our running plays. I wasn't crazy about our play calling and it felt that we were too conservative at times. Anyways, I am betting that Grainger will play better next game and we have plenty of tape to watch. Go FU!
Listening to Hendrix, he suggested there were some things we just didn't execute, but he fully expected that game to be a four quarter fight.
 #17681  by DeepPurple
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:07 pm
It is great to know our Defense will be able to keep us in games. Our D is getting better each week. The sun will come up tomorrow and we did win today.
 #17686  by Bootie
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:25 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:07 pm
It is great to know our Defense will be able to keep us in games. Our D is getting better each week. The sun will come up tomorrow and we did win today.
D is not immune to having a rough game. We’ve got a great team that will likely get better but as demonstrated today, could make some mistakes and lose a close one.

My realism is battling with my optimism right now. I love how we are looking but there’s a lot of season left. One major injury and this balloon could float into a mediocre ending.

Go Paladins!
 #17688  by purplehorse
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:47 pm
Grainger had his first suboptimal passing game. He will get better. Glad ETSU exploited us to some degree so we can improve.

I am still optimistic. One game at a time. Sammy game will be huge.
Bootie liked this
 #17690  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:04 pm
realism and optimism:

optimism - ETSU beat Austin Peay who beat top ten 'ish JSU ! and ETSU did that without some of the best D players we faced today !

realism? Mercer losing to Campbell right now?