• Polls as of 9-23-19

#17353  by Flagman
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:11 pm
Where's the love coming from for Weber State? They lose close ones to their FBS opponents and they don't drop. We play much higher regarded FBS teams and drop; then soundly beat a conference foe and remain the same. I'm beginning to believe none of these voters have a clue about individual opponents, or performances.
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #17354  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:21 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:11 pm
Where's the love coming from for Weber State? They lose close ones to their FBS opponents and they don't drop. We play much higher regarded FBS teams and drop; then soundly beat a conference foe and remain the same. I'm beginning to believe none of these voters have a clue about individual opponents, or performances.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.
Jasper, dornb liked this
 #17357  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:40 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:27 pm
We'll have to do it on the field and "LEAVE NO DOUBT."

Indeed!

We keep winning while others lose we will keep slowly rising to the top!
 #17358  by MNORM
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:42 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:27 pm
We'll have to do it on the field and "LEAVE NO DOUBT."
Trying not to be cynical here....but my confidence in us moving up significantly by beating up on SoCon opponents has waned recently.

The perception of the SoCon with the media and coaches has taken a hit the past few years. This has much to do with the conference's inability to get signature OOC wins against quality opponents. There were lost opportunities this year against Towson, Elon, Youngstown State, Austin Peay and Jacksonville State. Instead, the conference beat up on some weaker opponents like Alabama A&M, PC, Shorter, GWU, Eastern Ill, Mars Hill, and CHS So.....and terrible losses to SC State, Tenn Tech, Robert Morris, and almost NGU. Only quality OOC performances this year, so far, have been G-Tech and Austin Peay, and our close-calls against VPI and Ga. St.

We need to run the table and leave no doubt. Hope for a slow steady move up the rankings and an eventual seed.
 #17360  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:05 pm
I am hoping that Citadel comes into Paladin Stadium Oct. 19th at 5-2 with a top 20 ranking, that would give us an opportunity at a nice SoCon win at that point in the season
FUpaladin08, QCGlue liked this
 #17361  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:55 pm
Trying not to be cynical here....but my confidence in us moving up significantly by beating up on SoCon opponents has waned recently.
Wofford had no issues staying in the top 10 while beating up on poor OOC opponents and the SoCon. Often times even losing 1 or 2 SoCon games. It’s all about name recognition and staying ranked year after year. Furman will have to sweep the SoCon to get a shot at a seed in the playoffs. We stay in the conversation this year and next and the media will remember. Unfortunately that’s the way it is since they won’t look at individual games and schedules for rankings.
bj93, dornb, MNORM liked this
 #17362  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:09 pm
Fun fact:

What are the only 2 schools to be ranked in this weeks FCS football polls that were also ranked in the AP Top 25 men's basketball polls last season?

Villanova and Furman :D And we beat Nova :lol:
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #17364  by purplehorse
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:19 pm
Which polls matter when it comes to playoff time AND in what order of importance?

We pretty much need to improve every week and take care of business on the field. The polls are very flawed and are largely beyond our control.
 #17368  by Yadkin
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm
Kennesaw State being ranked No. 4 in the coaches poll is absolutely laughable. They play virtually NOBODY except a sorry Kent State team that took Bowling Green to the wire before losing 63-20 last Saturday.
 #17369  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:11 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm
Kennesaw State being ranked No. 4 in the coaches poll is absolutely laughable. They play virtually NOBODY except a sorry Kent State team that took Bowling Green to the wire before losing 63-20 last Saturday.
I think it was Kent St. that won 62-20
 #17370  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:39 pm
A lot of this has to deal with the perception of the SoCon. Right now, teams that should be better (Wofford, Samford, ETSU) aren't carrying water.

Of course, those teams carried Furman's water while we stunk for years. I guess it balances out.
 #17371  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:57 pm
Sure Wofford STAYED in top ten back then. They were already there. So all they had to do was best GWU and Big south team of the week and they stay there. I learned a good term for it on AGS... “slot voting”. Of course we all get it - You stay where you are unless teams above you lose we basically moved up one this week because Eastern Washington lost this week or has been fading

The problem becomes the higher you get ranked the less teams lose that are ranked above you!!! I fully admit I am a little surprised though. I thought that performance would notch us up a few. Because you can get moved w strong wins. IE Villanova moves from 18 to 8 because they beat Towson who was ranked fifth ! You all have hit all the points above - SoCon perception is hurting us. IE as much as I like Woff to lose the SC State loss hurts us a little and we needed our rival Citadel to beat Towson or Elon. basically Furman and Citadel pulled the only good OOC wins - CSU combined w close plays w GSU and VT and win over GT.

We need to keep winning (captain obvious there) but also it would be good if Citadel or Wofford were ranked. Citadel is 23 or something in one poll. So that helps. If they could win until we meet - IF IF IF we could do that too - that would be a top 20’matchup. That has me torn. I want to win SoCon first, let’s not get ahead of ourselves - WIN THE SOCON. And that is helped if Citadel and Samford and Woff etc lose SoCon games. But if Citadel and Samford lose in next two weeks that would diminish a win over them if we can beat them. It’s a funny dilemma but all I really want - esp after last year etc - is win SoCon outright. That’s a lock for playoffs and then even if we are sent on Road (hey Fu - BID so we get a home game!!!) we have our chance to beat teams on field

So to me i am ok w Citadel Samford etc all losing SoCon games and we win conference and get rings and playoffs. If those opponents are undefeated in SoCon then ok we just need to beat them and get a signature win but I find myself happy they take a conference loss.

I do hate that I feel it takes two or so years to get ranked top 15/10 even if you play that way the prior year because that isn’t fair to that (think us 2018) years seniors. Had we started last year top 15 we probably make playoffs. It should always be a THIS YEAR ONLY thing. Not what last year's team did. Of course any team unranked can win SoCon and get in playoffs and win em all. Just not fair on at-large bids.

Let’s . not get too far ahead. Keep winning SoCon. That’ll work (then if not seeded I’ll get on Furman we better $$bid for home game - no home playoff since 2005?)