• Mercer Postgame Thoughts

#17227  by purplehorse
 Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:50 pm
Lots to clean up but I think again lots of positives.

Grainger is the brightest highlight as far as I am concerned. Like Ingle Martin can get first downs with his legs and pretty accurate passing.

Despite Citadel beating Ga Tech and UTC only down by 6 at half against # 2 James Madison I wonder if the conference is down this year.

As I said coming into this week, no reason we cannot be 10-2.

One game at a time. Beat ETSU!
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #17231  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:16 pm
Enjoyable game. Crazy to have a 35 point win and feel like we were really sloppy in a few places.

Definitely a few things to work on but hard to be too picky after a 45-10 conference win to a team that was supposed to play to our weakness.

I think the thing I was most encouraged by today was seeing some of the other WRs get involved. Gordon has carried the load at WR, but we'll need someone else to step up as it seems Bell isn't suiting up anytime soon. Another drop that would have been a big play hurts, but good to see Deluca, Armstrong, and Miller make some plays. 2-3 big plays were there but were just barely overthrown or dropped.

Shout out to Duane Vaughn. I'm sure some will disagree, but I felt like he's done a good job calling the D so far this year.

100+ yards of penalties is uncharacteristic of Furman. Thankfully it didn't hurt us today. 4 15 yarders in like 7 plays was hard to watch.

Tackling was iffy early on but I thought got better as the game went along.

Certainly believe there are a few offenses in the SoCon that can give us a challenge, but I'm not seeing a defense yet (maybe Citadel?) that is going to have an easy time keeping this offense in check. If they don't know it by now, everyone in the SoCon certainly learned today that you have to set the edge or Grainger will absolutely make you pay. It's nice to be on the side of the team with frustrating mobile QB. After years of watching Edwards, Foster, Adams, etc make something out of nothing on us, it's nice to see it happen to someone else.

Even more excited and hopeful for what this team can do after today! Beat ETSU!
 #17233  by mathprofhiker
 Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:47 pm
Great win today for the Dins. A few observations:

1. Our pass defense has improved tons. Several times today the DB broke on the ball just at the right time to break the pass up. That's good coaching and good execution.
2. We stopped ourselves a couple of times, but the Mercer defense didn't even come close to stopping us until near the end of the 3rd quarter. They had to commit 8 guys to the run to have any chance of stopping it, which is why we had so many wide open receivers. Despite our performance at VPI last week, this offense has the potential to be elite at the FCS level.
3. Loved the onside kick. Having a kicker like Atkins is a real weapon.
dornb liked this
 #17234  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:49 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:16 pm
Enjoyable game. Crazy to have a 35 point win and feel like we were really sloppy in a few places.

Definitely a few things to work on but hard to be too picky after a 45-10 conference win to a team that was supposed to play to our weakness.

I think the thing I was most encouraged by today was seeing some of the other WRs get involved. Gordon has carried the load at WR, but we'll need someone else to step up as it seems Bell isn't suiting up anytime soon. Another drop that would have been a big play hurts, but good to see Deluca, Armstrong, and Miller make some plays. 2-3 big plays were there but were just barely overthrown or dropped.

Shout out to Duane Vaughn. I'm sure some will disagree, but I felt like he's done a good job calling the D so far this year.

100+ yards of penalties is uncharacteristic of Furman. Thankfully it didn't hurt us today. 4 15 yarders in like 7 plays was hard to watch.

Tackling was iffy early on but I thought got better as the game went along.

Certainly believe there are a few offenses in the SoCon that can give us a challenge, but I'm not seeing a defense yet (maybe Citadel?) that is going to have an easy time keeping this offense in check. If they don't know it by now, everyone in the SoCon certainly learned today that you have to set the edge or Grainger will absolutely make you pay. It's nice to be on the side of the team with frustrating mobile QB. After years of watching Edwards, Foster, Adams, etc make something out of nothing on us, it's nice to see it happen to someone else.

Even more excited and hopeful for what this team can do after today! Beat ETSU!
Bell and Shiflett too - maybe Shiflett soon but he wasn't even dressed after being listed on two deep for the third straight week. Anyone can see he Shiflett hasn't played for THREE weeks yet there he is on two deep week in and week out.. Zach Peterson had some of the Shiflett snaps.

Hope Shiflett gets healthy soon.
 #17273  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:57 am
mathprofhiker wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:47 pm
Great win today for the Dins. A few observations:

1. Our pass defense has improved tons. Several times today the DB broke on the ball just at the right time to break the pass up. That's good coaching and good execution.
2. We stopped ourselves a couple of times, but the Mercer defense didn't even come close to stopping us until near the end of the 3rd quarter. They had to commit 8 guys to the run to have any chance of stopping it, which is why we had so many wide open receivers. Despite our performance at VPI last week, this offense has the potential to be elite at the FCS level.
3. Loved the onside kick. Having a kicker like Atkins is a real weapon.
Our pass defense has played well against every team besides Georgia State, who presented different challenges.

Mercer's Durden won the jump ball in the endzone, but other than that, didn't do much.
mathprofhiker liked this
 #17277  by Jasper
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 am
A dominating performance by a really talented football team that is clearly in the national picture. I think the rest of the year will show that Mercer is a respectable SoCon football team. Furman is simply at another level. Just a few observations:
1. Our O line is intimidating just coming up to the line of scrimmage. They look like a Power 5 O-line. I would love to see Jackal or FU BeAR do an analysis of the interior blocking on our busts up the middle. Are we reaching the second level with blocks or misdirecting them away from the ball carrier?
2. Our running backs are the most talented GROUP I have seen at Furman.
3. Jordan Willis at SPUR is having an all league season. He is all over the field and his hit to prevent a Mercer 1st down early in the game was awesome.
4. Darren Grainger adds a tremendous element to our offense and is improving every game. He learns to put a little air under his long throws and he will be one of the best QB's in FCS.
5. Our receivers are getting tremendous separation; sometimes there are multiple wide open targets.
6. The defense and the defensive play calling has been improving every game since Georgia State. We would beat them by 3 TD's right now.
7. Lots of people got to play yesterday. That is good because the injury bug is starting to bite. The Dillon Vann leg looked serious. Davente Porter is next up if Vann is hurt seriously.
8. For the worry warts who are always concerned about complacency or taking an opponent too lightly, I just got a text from one of our great O line members. His message? "On to the next one". CCH has them on a mission. They are good, they know they are good and they really like being good and relevant. And I'll tell you this. They don't like ETSU one bit and feel that they stole a game from us last year. They are "the next one".

We are having a fun season and there is no reason to not think that is going to go on for quite a while. CCH is building a real program here at Furman. Our depth is tremendous for an FCS program and we are still able to redshirt a number of quality players who need seasoning. Not all the people who did not play are seriously hurt. Remember the 4 game rule that is in effect for redshirts.
Paladin575, furman88, dornb liked this
 #17278  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:24 am
Jasper wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 am
A dominating performance by a really talented football team that is clearly in the national picture. I think the rest of the year will show that Mercer is a respectable SoCon football team. Furman is simply at another level. Just a few observations:
1. Our O line is intimidating just coming up to the line of scrimmage. They look like a Power 5 O-line. I would love to see Jackal or FU BeAR do an analysis of the interior blocking on our busts up the middle. Are we reaching the second level with blocks or misdirecting them away from the ball carrier?
2. Our running backs are the most talented GROUP I have seen at Furman.
3. Jordan Willis at SPUR is having an all league season. He is all over the field and his hit to prevent a Mercer 1st down early in the game was awesome.
4. Darren Grainger adds a tremendous element to our offense and is improving every game. He learns to put a little air under his long throws and he will be one of the best QB's in FCS.
5. Our receivers are getting tremendous separation; sometimes there are multiple wide open targets.
6. The defense and the defensive play calling has been improving every game since Georgia State. We would beat them by 3 TD's right now.
7. Lots of people got to play yesterday. That is good because the injury bug is starting to bite. The Dillon Vann leg looked serious. Davente Porter is next up if Vann is hurt seriously.
8. For the worry warts who are always concerned about complacency or taking an opponent too lightly, I just got a text from one of our great O line members. His message? "On to the next one". CCH has them on a mission. They are good, they know they are good and they really like being good and relevant. And I'll tell you this. They don't like ETSU one bit and feel that they stole a game from us last year. They are "the next one".

We are having a fun season and there is no reason to not think that is going to go on for quite a while. CCH is building a real program here at Furman. Our depth is tremendous for an FCS program and we are still able to redshirt a number of quality players who need seasoning. Not all the people who did not play are seriously hurt. Remember the 4 game rule that is in effect for redshirts.
Great post Jasper - glad to hear your thoughts! Even I (a worrier LOL) can't imagine we wouldn't take ETSU seriously. We owe them!

Only true freshman wouldn't have a bad taste about ETSU. And we saw the true freshman do great things this week. I am sure the teams wants them a piece of ETSU. No doubt about it in my mind
 #17288  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:37 pm
Was Vann the one they carted off in the 4th quarter? Do you think the plan now is to red-shirt Wayne Anderson, Jr? He was dressed yesterday but did not play. Could be just holding him out just in case we have an injury and if not, RS him? He is a nice ace in the hole. Is Carson Maples out for the year?
 #17292  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
Was Vann the one they carted off in the 4th quarter? Do you think the plan now is to red-shirt Wayne Anderson, Jr? He was dressed yesterday but did not play. Could be just holding him out just in case we have an injury and if not, RS him? He is a nice ace in the hole. Is Carson Maples out for the year?
Vann was carted off - he appeared to be in a lot of pain - not sure what was injured.

CCH mentioned that Anderson was dressed but held out due to a tweaked ankle. It didn't seem serious and was dressed and walking. I don't think the plan is to redshirt Anderson - Wynn returned kicks today - I'd rather not see #22 back there returning kicks.

Maples wasn't dressed but was on the sidelines - I'm assuming he's fighting some form of injury. He doesn't appear to have any brace.

The Furman Backfield:
Tailbacks
Wynn (JR)
Watkins (SO)
Anderson (FR)
Abshier (FR)
Runningbacks
Abrams (FR)
Roberto (FR)
Maples (SO)
2020 Commit Kendall Thomas (5-7.5 170) averaging 221 yards per game.

The offensive backfield is scary.
 #17294  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:11 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
Vann was carted off - he appeared to be in a lot of pain - not sure what was injured.

CCH mentioned that Anderson was dressed but held out due to a tweaked ankle. It didn't seem serious and was dressed and walking. I don't think the plan is to redshirt Anderson - Wynn returned kicks today - I'd rather not see #22 back there returning kicks.

Maples wasn't dressed but was on the sidelines - I'm assuming he's fighting some form of injury. He doesn't appear to have any brace.

The Furman Backfield:
Tailbacks
Wynn (JR)
Watkins (SO)
Anderson (FR)
Abshier (FR)
Runningbacks
Abrams (FR)
Roberto (FR)
Maples (SO)
2020 Commit Kendall Thomas (5-7.5 170) averaging 221 yards per game.

The offensive backfield is scary.
100% agree Astro. I would rather NOT see Wynn returning kicks. He is just soo valuable. I was relieved when I heard he was only there because Anderson couldn't go. Honestly, I woulda preferred Blackshear or someone than Wynn on KOR

I too don't think Anderson is a redshirt - CH said many times you need several TBs and that Anderson was just out because he was gimpy. CH mentioned Anderson specifically on radio as out becauase of ankle or something.
 #17297  by Jasper
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:31 pm
Carson Maples has had concussion issues for two years. I assume that it what this is. That is tricky stuff.
 #17298  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:45 pm
Jasper wrote:
Carson Maples has had concussion issues for two years. I assume that it what this is. That is tricky stuff.
I hate to hear that about Maples.
 #17299  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:53 pm
Thinking about the Furman offense if you're a high school offensive player who wouldn't get excited about playing in this offense? Same goes with the defense.

A quick look at the SoCon Stats Leaderboard
Furman #1 in total offense 469.5 per game - 20 TDs, #2 in rushing
Furman #2 in scoring defense and #4 in total defense
 #17301  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:06 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:45 pm
Jasper wrote:
I hate to hear that about Maples.
same here. That is tough and I hope it is not that but I understand and he needs to protect his health! I appreciate what he has done for us !
 #17303  by JohnW
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:36 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:53 pm
Thinking about the Furman offense if you're a high school offensive player who wouldn't get excited about playing in this offense? Same goes with the defense.

A quick look at the SoCon Stats Leaderboard
Furman #1 in total offense 469.5 per game - 20 TDs, #2 in rushing
Furman #2 in scoring defense and #4 in total defense
Amen about our attractiveness to recruits. I find myself wondering if Cam Burnett is having second thoughts.