• Game 4 - Mercer

#17038  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:39 pm
For the last 10 or 12 years, Furman fans have had to watch a once mighty program humbled. We've had some years during that time where we went from "bad" to just "ok", but never looked like a legitimate national title contender.

The last two years, thing have moved in the right direction. The team looks better, bigger, faster, and more physical. It's been a long time since we've seen that. We may not be ready to go 12 rounds with NDSU, but we are getting better every year.

Part of me wants to say Saturday is the day Furman puts its flag down and says "we're back." A good-not-great team is coming into Paladin Stadium. We've come off two games where we could easily have had back to back wins against FBS teams. It's time for the rebuild to end. It's time for Furman to show the SoCon who the top dog is again.

Leave no doubt.
dornb, Affirm, din23 and 10 others liked this
 #17044  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:16 am
PLEASE PLEASE win this game !!! BUT if we don't it's still all there for our taking. 8-4 is probably in playoffs and honestly w SoCon beating up itself (I won't jinx by mentioning the standings) we could probably drop 1 or 2 and might win SoCon.

I have made it clear this one scares me - I am a fan, not a player. But players should not fear anyone but RESPECT them all !!! Mercer is gonna come our throwing - take it as a challenge and let's shut down a passing team. Ellington at GSU showed us we can't lay back and play passive... Riddle isn't near as eluxive. HIT HIM HARD. BLITZ, stop the RB and hit the QB - its that simple

this would be a great win.
 #17046  by gman
 Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:15 am
gofurman wrote:
PLEASE PLEASE win this game !!! BUT if we don't it's still all there for our taking. 8-4 is probably in playoffs and honestly w SoCon beating up itself (I won't jinx by mentioning the standings) we could probably drop 1 or 2 and might win SoCon.

I have made it clear this one scares me - I am a fan, not a player. But players should not fear anyone but RESPECT them all !!! Mercer is gonna come our throwing - take it as a challenge and let's shut down a passing team. Ellington at GSU showed us we can't lay back and play passive... Riddle isn't near as eluxive. HIT HIM HARD. BLITZ, stop the RB and hit the QB - its that simple

Why are you so scared of Mercer? This IS going to be a win. Furman is much better than Mercer. We are better coached and have better talent. Furman by 20.
AstroDin, QCGlue, furman88 and 2 others liked this
 #17048  by DeepPurple
 Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:15 am
I think CCH respects everyone we play and prepares for each team like they are defending national champions. CCH will have them ready to play. I am glad we will be home Saturday.
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #17050  by paladinduece
 Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 am
Unleash the dogs and send the QB to a therapist for PTSD after this game. I would like to see us continue the corner blitz at times when it allows, but also bring some heat from the safeties as well to bring something new and cause some confusion. Hit him hard and hit him often. Agreed this is a chance to make a statement. I also like moving the pocket with Grainger and allowing him options with his legs.
 #17051  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:02 am
gman wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:15 am
gofurman wrote:

Why are you so scared of Mercer? This IS going to be a win. Furman is much better than Mercer. We are better coached and have better talent. Furman by 20.
I hope you are right.

Point 1). It’s a matchup issue. They throw. That’s our D weakness. GSU lit us up throwing. Of the 4 basic Run O. Pass O. Run D and pass D. Pass D is the weaker. The other three are strong. We have lost to inferior teams before just because they throw. Bobby Johnson would lose to UMass etc - he was a Defensive great and that was his weakness at FU too always has been.

Point 2) more recently we beat Mercer in 2017 by less than a TD when we converted 4/4 fourth downs. Last year we beat Mercer by 5 playing half the game vs their third QB. We got ahead and they brought on their second QB who was gimpy and they started come back falling just short. I felt had they had a healthy QB they woulda won. BL can coach a good QB and he has one. So both games w Hendrix v Lamb have gone our way by less than 7. I think all of last 4 have been less than one score difference.

Point 3) we have new D coaches. It was a little on display vs GSU when we didn’t blitz and after 5 consecutive TDs by them we STILL didn’t blitz. That killed us. Can’t play scared. A good QB will get comfortable given time and Ellington did and then after 3 or 4 easy TDs we just stayed in that same D and watched it again. And again. Insanity - doing the same thing and expecting a different result. That was a little odd to be honest. I know Ellington was super mobile and they had a great OL but after several consecutive TDs do SOMETHING different. Bring the house on blitz. Can’t go worse than the prior 5 TDs they scored LOL. GSU was held to 10 points by Western Michigan this week. We gave 48? Aside: I watched Mercer play APeay. It was 48-34 AP. But you can see Mercer still scored. I just hate (GSU) score fests like west coast colleges. One turnover could be real trouble at 40-30 scores. I want nasty defense from our guys!

On the huge positive - so hear me out ... we appeared to have learned the lesson and blitzed and were MUCH more successful vs VT. Much. I think I’m still frustrated not at the FBS scores but at why we didnt learn in game Vs GSU. We need to send heat and get in the backfield vs Mercer both stopping Devezin and getting to QB meaning we know he is about to throw so we can go for picks and sacks. If we get 3+ sacks I think we win. And we need to run run run. Hope our OL can work em over
Last edited by gofurman on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #17052  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:06 am
paladinduece wrote:
Unleash the dogs and send the QB to a therapist for PTSD after this game. I would like to see us continue the corner blitz at times when it allows, but also bring some heat from the safeties as well to bring something new and cause some confusion. Hit him hard and hit him often. Agreed this is a chance to make a statement. I also like moving the pocket with Grainger and allowing him options with his legs.
Sounds like we agree. Yep. Please no 3-8 D unless third and v long
 #17053  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:12 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:06 am
paladinduece wrote:
Sounds like we agree. Yep. Please no 3-8 D unless third and v long
Playing 3-8 on third and long is the worst thing to do. Send pressure and make the QB get rid of it quick. Don;t give him all day.
 #17058  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:34 pm
Beat Mercer! Lay the smack down on the SoCon!!!!!!!!!
 #17080  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:15 pm
But Riddle is top 20 passing yards and I think (as CH said) number ONE in country in passing TDs?

takeaways from CH press conference - while he didn't agee w the onsides call he DID agree w Wynn's fumble (that was for DungeonRealm :) ... pleased w D except for a few missed tackles and an assignment or two... he wants more from the OL...

In any case I heard CH say they have numerous new D coaches over at Mercer. Help me - How is their defense different this year?

maybe Jackal or FUBeAR or someone could help me here?
 #17100  by Paul C
 Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:02 pm
The line is Furman -9.5

Considering that the margin of victory in this series has been 5,7,3,7 and 5, a spread of 9.5 is a pretty big vote of confidence in our relative performances....

Furman

Charleston So W 46-13 - Hung with a good NC A&T team last week before falling 27-21
Ga State L 48-42 - beat Tenn but then laid an egg at Western Michigan, the D gave up 1mm yards
Va Tech L 24-17 - Lost to BC, dominated Old Dominion (won 31-17 despite being -2 TO ratio)

Mercer

Western Car W 49-27 - WCU barely squeaked by D2 NGU last week 20-17
Presby W 45-7 - PC fell to Jacksonville (not state) 30-20
Austin Peay L 48-34 - lost a good game to #9 UCA and trounced a weak NC Central team