• Good Practice Today

#15524  by Jasper
 Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:37 pm
It's halfway thru a grueling camp and this football team is as enthused as they were on Day 1. If spirit and excitement help to win football games - and there is no doubt in my mind that they do - this team is going to win a lot of them.

Very impressed today with both QB's passing. Sisson has great touch and pace on the ball. His passes look very catchable. Luke Shiflett is a really big addition to the receiving corp. Very strong replacement for Cam Burnett and faster. Dejuan Bell is going to have a break out year IMO.

The defensive backfield looks very different than in previous years with a much more aggressive go-to-the-ball attitude under two new coaches. I don't think we will be seeing the defenders give as much space as in the past. They were contesting every pass today with tight coverage and fighting for the ball when it arrived. Looks like Charleston Southern will challenge that right away.
FUKA61 liked this
 #15525  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:43 pm
Thanks again Jasper ! Really appreciate your reports .. ! Glad to hear of the DBs playing tighter and Sisson / Shiflett. Hope that means we have 3 speed WRs w Gordon , Bell and Shiflett. W Wynn, Watkins and the new guy from Texas (Anderson?) at RB plus Gordon, Bell and Shiflett that’s 6 guys who can put pressure on the D. Then add DeLuca etc w great hands. Nice. But you need to get separation so glad to hear of the speed.

I do hope Shiflett can maybe play at QB next year for the pressure he could put on a D as a running QB but that’s another issue
 #15529  by apaladin
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:51 am
Thanks Jasper for the report. Did either of the QB's attempt any downfield passes longer that 15 yds?
 #15533  by AstroDin
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:03 am
Concerning our receivers - in this multiple offense I'm not sure speed is the specialization skill that is a difference-maker.

Watching a few practices it's obvious to me that CCH and Staff have recruited players that have multiple skills. FuBear you call them "players." I don't think a pure fly route speed guy fits this offense. They need to have the physicality to also block. They need to be durable enough to play a role in the running game. Great route runners, great hands. play a role on special teams. A lot of speed guys don't have those skill sets.

I think DeLuca and Gordo make a great tandem. DeLuca is gritty, quick, fearless, Gordo is an FBS talent.
But Furman's receiver corp is developing into a versatile group beyond the two starters.
Armstrong I've heard is actually one of the faster players on the team, Avery is a great blocker and will continue to play a bigger role in the offense. Bell is a speed guy, I just don't think it's fair to put that label on him. In this offense, he will tote the rock some. Her comes Shiflet, he's got great size, athletic ability, speed, he's a proven runner with the ball. Peterson should contribute this season - I'm continuing to watch out for #84 Kimmelman he was impressive in high school.

Final thought on Paladin Receivers - Ryan Miller is a listed TE but he's a hybrid player he can easily line up as a WR.
Jasper, FUKA61 liked this
 #15536  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:46 am
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:03 am
Concerning our receivers - in this multiple offense I'm not sure speed is the specialization skill that is a difference-maker.

Watching a few practices it's obvious to me that CCH and Staff have recruited players that have multiple skills. FuBear you call them "players." I don't think a pure fly route speed guy fits this offense. They need to have the physicality to also block. They need to be durable enough to play a role in the running game. Great route runners, great hands. play a role on special teams. A lot of speed guys don't have those skill sets.

I think DeLuca and Gordo make a great tandem. DeLuca is gritty, quick, fearless, Gordo is an FBS talent.
But Furman's receiver corp is developing into a versatile group beyond the two starters.
Armstrong I've heard is actually one of the faster players on the team, Avery is a great blocker and will continue to play a bigger role in the offense. Bell is a speed guy, I just don't think it's fair to put that label on him. In this offense, he will tote the rock some. Her comes Shiflet, he's got great size, athletic ability, speed, he's a proven runner with the ball. Peterson should contribute this season - I'm continuing to watch out for #84 Kimmelman he was impressive in high school.

Final thought on Paladin Receivers - Ryan Miller is a listed TE but he's a hybrid player he can easily line up as a WR.
I think this set up will work out well.

From what I have read and heard in the coaches' comments, Jack Hardin can play at QB, gives us more depth at that position, and allows Furman the flexibility to move Shiflett outside.

We lost a 6'2 receiver in Cam Burnett, but now gain another 6'2 receiver in Shiflett. So, we don't necessarily have to start pushing guys up the depth chart before they are ready.

The offense will continue to feature our flankers - defenses are going to get a heavy dose of Thomas Gordon and Dejuan Bell.
 #15537  by cavedweller2
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:09 am
A good Chas Fox speed deep threat on the outside always comes in handy.
QCGlue, FUBeAR liked this
 #15538  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:36 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
RIGHT. I understand multiple offensive weapons and appreciate the explanation of how our offense doesn't need 3 speed freaks but rather 'ballers' .... we certainly need good edge blockers! But watch the recent twitter feed of Gordon catching the ball on Samford and pulling away fora TD,... SPEED KILLS. Grainger hits Gordon at the 50 but it's his speed that keeps him from getting caught before the endzone.

Also, the speed helps Gordon get the initial separation making it easier on Grainger to hit him w pass. I hear what you are saying but I will take the same guy with more speed than less :D . I always think - what do I not want to face? Jayson Foster types .. (he lined up at QB and WR and his speed killed)... I also think of the play where Wynn takes it to the house vs UTC last year for 50 yards ... love it. You hate to see great OL work and then the RB gets run down after 20 yards... More plays are more chances for penalties. Wynn took it all the way w speed.

But I do appreciate what you are saying... and your explanation. Thanks !

Jasper liked this
 #15540  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:12 am
This is another good example of Furman's getting matchup advantages.

Furman's tweak in the formation gets Miller matched up against a CB and Gordon matched up against a Safety. There aren't many (any?) safeties in the SoCon that can cover Gordon one on one.
 #15542  by Davemeister
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:24 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Maybe we will see a return of the Flanker Reverse!
 #15553  by apaladin
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:48 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:07 am
yes, they did. Quite a few and very well, I might add.
This is great. Thank you!
 #15559  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:36 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Furman's tweak in the formation gets Miller matched up against a CB and Gordon matched up against a Safety. There aren't many (any?) safeties in the SoCon that can cover Gordon one on one.
link?
 #15562  by fupaladin01
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:44 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

link?
I believe he is offering additional perspective on the original video link.
 #15564  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:25 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:44 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

link?
I believe he is offering additional perspective on the original video link.
my mistake
 #15566  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Definitely a matchup issue there. That Safety for Samford was a 5-10/201 3rd Team walk-on R-JR making his 3rd-ever start @ Furman due to Samford’s rash of injuries at Safety last year. No doubt that FU’s Coaches knew that & formationed/motioned into the matchup they wanted. Much like the PGA Tour Players...those guys are GOOD!

“Flash” Gordon certainly has smokin’ jets, but there are better & quite a bit faster Safeties in the SoCon than that particular Player.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.