• First Practice

#15156  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:30 pm
The 2019 football season got started today with the first practice of season. Cant tell much from a helmets and shorts practice in football but I will pass along some of my observations for those interested.

I am not going to say much about the FU defense except to say that this is a very spirited group in everything they do. They just seemed to be happy to be on the field again and did everything with a lot of enthusiasm. This group knows they are good and are looking forward to contact drills. New D coaches have them whoopin and hollerin all over. Fun to watch.

Everyone is interested in the QBs so I will start there. Only 3 of them took snaps during play drills at the end of the session against a tag only defense. However, I will be surprised if Jack Hardin does not work himself into the mix this season. He looked good in the spring and was excellent in drill today. The 3 scholarship QB's took snaps in the order of Hamp Sisson, Gordon Grainger and Luke Shiflett. Don't know what if anything to read into that. Sisson and Grainger both looked very good under these conditions. A year in the system has made them more confident. Don't know how this will work out but it will. Shiflett appeared understandably shaky in a new system and appears to me to be a work in progress. Having said that he also seems to be a really good athlete with a strong QB physique. I may be wrong but I think it will take some time to develop as a contender.

The first line - from LT was: Layton, Kroeber(bigger), Neely, Harris (huge)and Detamore. Lots of familiar depth as well.

RB's look great - fast and elusive. Dominic Roberto is some load at 5'11 and 24 0lbs. - big thighs and calf like a real power back. Very strong group. Great to see Carson Maples back at FB.

Glad to see Jake Walker back at TE and looking good. Thomas Gordon also looked very good at wideout. Look for Dejuan Bell to have a breakout season.
FurmanEagle, FUBeAR, PalaDad liked this
 #15159  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:48 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:30 pm
The 2019 football season got started today with the first practice of season. Cant tell much from a helmets and shorts practice in football but I will pass along some of my observations for those interested.

I am not going to say much about the FU defense except to say that this is a very spirited group in everything they do. They just seemed to be happy to be on the field again and did everything with a lot of enthusiasm. This group knows they are good and are looking forward to contact drills. New D coaches have them whoopin and hollerin all over. Fun to watch.

Everyone is interested in the QBs so I will start there. Only 3 of them took snaps during play drills at the end of the session against a tag only defense. However, I will be surprised if Jack Hardin does not work himself into the mix this season. He looked good in the spring and was excellent in drill today. The 3 scholarship QB's took snaps in the order of Hamp Sisson, Gordon Grainger and Luke Shiflett. Don't know what if anything to read into that. Sisson and Grainger both looked very good under these conditions. A year in the system has made them more confident. Don't know how this will work out but it will. Shiflett appeared understandably shaky in a new system and appears to me to be a work in progress. Having said that he also seems to be a really good athlete with a strong QB physique. I may be wrong but I think it will take some time to develop as a contender.

The first line - from LT was: Layton, Kroeber(bigger), Neely, Harris (huge)and Detamore. Lots of familiar depth as well.

RB's look great - fast and elusive. Dominic Roberto is some load at 5'11 and 24 0lbs. - big thighs and calf like a real power back. Very strong group. Great to see Carson Maples back at FB.

Glad to see Jake Walker back at TE and looking good. Thomas Gordon also looked very good at wideout. Look for Dejuan Bell to have a breakout season.
There are no dumb questions - LOL.
I know it's early but:

1) So Jake Walker was playing already? I ask because I heard he would miss some or most of this year

2) Did Andy Godwin play? I ask because he is one of our best OL (seond-team all Conference!) and he was hurt at the end of last year so I hope he is ok !

If you want to PM me that is fine. Though I think if both of these are a 'yes' answer then it can certainly be public. I am not asking plays or anything like that. I really hope Godwin is ok and in the lineup !
FUKA61 liked this
 #15161  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:59 pm
Walker was playing and looking good. To be honest, I did not notice if Godwin was playing or not but I only saw one or two walking wounded on the sideline and he was not one of them.
gofurman liked this
 #15162  by apaladin
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:03 pm
Were they on the practice field(s) or in PS.
 #15163  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:09 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:59 pm
Walker was playing and looking good. To be honest, I did not notice if Godwin was playing or not but I only saw one or two walking wounded on the sideline and he was not one of them.
Jasper, appreciate your report - keep us posted !

Glad to hear that about Walker.
 #15168  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:30 pm
Roberto is an interesting guy to follow. He's a hard guy to evaluate because big barreling running backs just don't stand out on film, I think.

When Hendrix arrived, they wen't heavy on the big running backs, with Wilcox and Dirks getting most of the carries.

In 2018, they trended more towards the "feature back" role with Wynn and Watkins carrying most of the load.

I'm interested to see what they do this year. Our offensive system doesn't classify these guys as "fullbacks," but rather as "running backs." That almost tends to suggest their role is more than just a lead blocker. We've got a bunch of them on the roster (including Maples and Abrams, who have played a good bit), so maybe we will see Roberto emerge as a physical pounder.
 #15169  by FurmanEagle
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:09 pm
How did the secondary look out there? I know there’s a battle for the safety spot. Thanks!
 #15170  by THPaladin
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:36 pm
Listened to the post practice interview with CH.... agree with him that putting pads on has a way of revealing who can best help team win. First day.... great to get started.... but ready for pads and real football. Athleticism, speed, and strength has way of separating players. Looking forward to the season.
 #15171  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:34 pm
Hard to say how the secondary played. No contact and no penalties. Without a real rush there were a lot of completed passes of course. Receivers could go over the middle w/o fear someone would take their heads off.
FurmanEagle liked this
 #15173  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:16 pm
Good info. Thanks Jasper!

Can someone link the practice schedule? I saw it somewhere but am out right now. Thanks !

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.