• One scheduling concern

#15099  by gofurman
 Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:48 pm
Maybe it was addressed on here.. I have seen it on AGS.

I hope we don't need to worry but I could easily see us going 8-4 (honestly I think that would a good year).. and having to really sweat the playoffs. Because of the NAIA game vs Point.
The committee would see that as a 7-4 year "sort of. "

IE, we have put ourselves in a pretty tough position by playing Two FBS and then an easy team that doesn't 'count' in NAIA Point. That's THREE non-FCS games in a single season which is very odd ! Can anyone recall the last time we played 3 teams that were not FCS ???

Say we lose both FBS. Then go 8-2 vs all other teams--> which is strong. We would be 8-4 but only 7 D1 wins. In a year with 12 games we would be compared to teams w 8 D1 wins... Last time there was a 12 game year some good 7-win teams were left out of the playoffs in favor of teams that had 8 D1 wins.

I have a feeling Point was not CCH first choice as Davidson or any weak FCS team would 'count' much much more. Davidson, Gardner Webb. This is how Wofford helps themselves get in the playoffs ... And I do know CCH caught on to this last year per some of his comments with the Colgate game and the not-getting-into-the-playoffs
Affirm liked this
 #15101  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:50 am
I wouldn't worry about the Point game. It's been proven the committee doesn't really look as close as we would like at teams. It's more politics, such as what conference the chair person is from etc.
Affirm liked this
 #15102  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:45 am
This isn't particularly concerning. It is true, some teams can schedule themselves into a corner by having an FBS team and non-D1 on their schedule during an 11 game season. That often results in having to win 7 of the 9 remaining FCS games on the schedule to really have a shot at an at large bid.

Furman does have two FBS games, but remember that Georgia State is probably closer to an FCS program than an FBS powerhouse. They are technically FBS, but I think talent wise would be closer to playing a Kennesaw State or Elon, which we seemingly do every year anyway.
 #15103  by Paul C
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:52 am
If we had played Point last year and finished with one more win it may have helped us get in. That was the lesson I thought we all took from last year, that a W is better than nothing, regardless the opponent.

BTW, not diss my old buddy JD and his crew from Point, but with the new RS rule, the Point game makes even more sense if we can get some of the freshman some PT and not burn their RS....and since it's at the end of the year they'll have more of a sense of the system than if it were in Sept.....
Flagman, Chuckles, MNORM liked this
 #15104  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:24 am
What PC said. It is just a win. Back to my point about them not looking that hard at teams, especially those vying for the last spots. Looking at FU, WC and ETSU. If you really look at them side by side there is no way you could leave FU out. Furman was much better head to head with the other 2 and finished the season really strong. The difference was WC and ETSU had one more win, both of those one more wins were against non- D1 opponents.
fufanatic, dornb liked this
 #15113  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:14 pm
apaladin wrote:
What PC said. It is just a win. Back to my point about them not looking that hard at teams, especially those vying for the last spots. Looking at FU, WC and ETSU. If you really look at them side by side there is no way you could leave FU out. Furman was much better head to head with the other 2 and finished the season really strong. The difference was WC and ETSU had one more win, both of those one more wins were against non- D1 opponents.
My philosophy on this is always the same.

Handle your business and don't leave judgment calls to others.
gman, QCGlue liked this
 #15136  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:14 pm
apaladin wrote:
My philosophy on this is always the same.

Handle your business and don't leave judgment calls to others.
Agree but let's get real. Why make it so HARD on ourselves??? After last year we should all have learned!!! You could tell CH was burnt by this. So he agrees w me the "handle your business" doesn't really work w the politics of the FCS. I mean, I would consider winning the SoCon as "handling your business" and yet we DONT get in the freakin' playoffs?? You know we did ok last year and we got outsmarted by Wofford in scheduling. We were. They make it easy on themselves to get in playoffs w SoCon plus one FBS plus (this year) SC State and Gardner Webb. This year they will be 2-1 OOC . We will be 2-2 (w an NAIA win) OR 3-1 IF (big IF) we can beat Georgia State...

I just say sure let's go win the SoCon (but EVEN THAT didn't do it last year!!!) so let's make ourselves as enticing a candidate for the playoffs as possible.

If last year didn't teach us that then I don't know what will. I do understand late scheduling is tough - I just wish we had a Gardner-Webb at the end. If we go 8-4 and don't make playoffs I'll look at POINT. Let's get a home and home w SC State or whomever ... that said, good job w Charleston Southern.

To this point I saw last year that PaulC noted he had moved a little bit toward my thinking after we were mildly snubbed. Can't help a hurricane but can help who we schedule. This is a little bit of an odd year in the 12 game set-up. Two FBS is part of the issue. All fine if we beat GSU but if we lose to them we will start 1-2 in September

*Also, the committee is fairly ignorant but they do look at which wins were D1, they have mentioned that on the show... I recall 2013 Chatt was 8-4 in a 12 game year and did not get invited... wins over #15 Wofford and SoCon champ Furman.. Chatt left at home as tri-champions of the SoCon.. that sounds familiar.

Sorry, I just don't want to see that happen again. Sure, let's go 12-0.. but in reality let's schedule to where if we are on the 'bubble' let's get in then too ! I want it for the players. Hated that for the Seniors last year :oops:

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.