• 2020 Offers

#22522  by Jasper
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:45 am
I think we need some real size on the defensive line - especially a space eating run stuffer in the middle. The kid we had there last season did a great job and that opened up things for the LB's.
For a team that wants to run the ball, why do we not use a stereotypical big tight end primarily as run blocker? Every team we play seems to have a 6' 3, 248 pounder at TE who gets the ball thrown to him maybe once or twice a game - usually right over the middle.
 #22528  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:40 pm
Jasper wrote:
I think we need some real size on the defensive line - especially a space eating run stuffer in the middle. The kid we had there last season did a great job and that opened up things for the LB's.
For a team that wants to run the ball, why do we not use a stereotypical big tight end primarily as run blocker? Every team we play seems to have a 6' 3, 248 pounder at TE who gets the ball thrown to him maybe once or twice a game - usually right over the middle.
To be honest, you are highlighting perhaps the two toughest positions for FCS teams to recruit - DT and TE.

Interesting that you talk about getting real size on the defensive line and then point out Jaylan Reid (assuming that's the "kid we had there last season"). Reid was 5'11 278. He's actually smaller than most of the guys we have there this year.
hypercycloid liked this
 #22531  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:08 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:38 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:54 am
Most of the coaching staff also following Tyson Player, who looks like a DB out of Columbia.

Just made the connection (or at least I think it is a connection) that Player's older brother is Nasir Player, the standout defensive lineman for ETSU.
Player is all on every coaches tweets… We have two safeties committed - Richards and Rhodes, two big-time corners committed - Richardson and Yates. Those four are a helluva defensive backfield class. When we flipped Yates I thought that was the last spot for corners in the 2020 class. BUT, Player IMO would be worth a scholly, he did just pick up an offer from Kent State.

I'll go out on a limb here - concerning this class - and how it relates to an area that I'm guessing CCH wants improving quickly THE OL. I think you pencil in Jumper, Johanning, and Toomey next season - CCH has said many times that Johanning gives Furman speed and physicality, the coaches had planned to start Toomey but he tweaked an ankle against VaTech - leading to a redshirt. EJ Wilson arrives at 6-4 290 and Dylan Davis 6-4 260 both are ranked in the top 50 FCS commits - as is DiMaggio and Yates. Our amateur sleuthing tells us the DINS want a few more linemen, I could see Furman bringing in four linemen.

The keys to finishing this class and helping Furman bring more physicality and athleticism to the field - a couple of defensive ends and a few more wide receivers to go with Ambe Caldwell.
I expect we will see someone move to the SPUR position with Willis' graduation. It looks like we'll see Wilkins and Miller as the primary options there next season.
 #22566  by FUwolfpacker
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:47 pm
Kicker target Ian Williams has committed to NC State.

The only other kicker name I've seen posted on here is Mitch Jeter. Seems like he just got an offer from ECU and had one from Memphis prior to Norvell leaving for FSU. Also saw where he grew up going to ECU games so that may be a tough get now.
 #22570  by AstroDin
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:13 pm
Big recruiting news tonight… will update on the commits thread.
 #22577  by Jasper
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:53 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:
To be honest, you are highlighting perhaps the two toughest positions for FCS teams to recruit - DT and TE.

Interesting that you talk about getting real size on the defensive line and then point out Jaylan Reid (assuming that's the "kid we had there last season"). Reid was 5'11 278. He's actually smaller than most of the guys we have there this year.

It is also interesting that you chose to point out that I did not remember the players name rather than answer the question. My inability to recall is clearly a symptom of oncoming senility and is much less important than the fact that Mr. Reid was more like 5'10" and 290 who ate up a lot of space and was sorely missed against good running teams this year. And the fact that the positions I suggested we need help with are "tough" for FCS teams to recruit does not mean that we don't need to do it anyway. It seems like every running team we face has a stud TE on the field who is principally a blocker and then an occasional pass catcher.
If you don't have an answer to a question, just pass it by then and keep your snarky comments to yourself.
 #22578  by Paul C
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:00 pm
Mr Reid wasn’t close to 290. Listed at 278 and that was generous.
 #22579  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:10 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:53 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:

It is also interesting that you chose to point out that I did not remember the players name rather than answer the question. My inability to recall is clearly a symptom of oncoming senility and is much less important than the fact that Mr. Reid was more like 5'10" and 290 who ate up a lot of space and was sorely missed against good running teams this year. And the fact that the positions I suggested we need help with are "tough" for FCS teams to recruit does not mean that we don't need to do it anyway. It seems like every running team we face has a stud TE on the field who is principally a blocker and then an occasional pass catcher.
If you don't have an answer to a question, just pass it by then and keep your snarky comments to yourself.
I'm not being snarky.

You said that we need "real size" on the defensive line. You then highlight a very good player along the defensive line who played a lot of football for Furman at a very high level who was, by all accounts, undersized.
 #22591  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:53 pm
On the TE front, I'm not entirely sure what our longterm plan is.

Furman, for a long time, was the class of the conference at the position. Fowler's staff really seemed to struggle to recruit the position. The only notable TE during Fowler's time was Duncan Fletcher, who was a walk-on QB. Hardly anyone else saw playing time.

Even then, Fletcher was mostly used around the line of scrimmage. His average yard per catch was under 10. The last time Furman really had a true downfield threat was Colin Anderson, who would average over 15 a catch.

I think we are struggling with depth at that position. Ryan Miller is an excellent receiver, but is probably a bit undersized in the blocking game. Jake Walker is a more prototypical TE, but has been slowed by a knee injury. We briefly moved Dillon Vann over to TE for depth purposes, but he's clearly more valuable on the defense. Ben Page was also moved over from defense this season, but missed the whole season, I believe, with a lower leg injury. Of course, Andy Schumpert was a backup WR and had a successful run two years ago.

I do not necessarily see Furman targeting a lot of TEs this recruiting cycle (perhaps because we return both of our primary targets). Of course, Furman has also had a pretty long history of developing players into TEs instead of recruiting guys that only played TE.
 #22592  by AstroDin
 Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:05 pm
Ben Page played some against Point - I'm pretty sure that was his first PT since coming off his injury.

I could be completely off base but we've offered some tight ends - who were very highly recruited I think most of those targets chose an FBS school. I think we're being very picky recruiting tight ends.
 #22689  by JohnW
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:41 pm
Per his tweet Noah Burnette, 5-11 165 K, from Raleigh has an offer.
 #22695  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 pm
JohnW wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:41 pm
Per his tweet Noah Burnette, 5-11 165 K, from Raleigh has an offer.
Not saying he would play WR at Furman, but if you watch his film, he’s a pretty good athlete. Not sure who else has offered. Visited a lot of places but only saw offers from Alabama A&M and NC A&T. Kinda surprised if that’s it. Seems like from the usual kicking authorities that he’s a top 20-25 kicker. Didn’t see any clips of him punting.
 #22734  by JohnW
 Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:23 pm
Per his tweet Ryan James Leavy, 6-1 175 P/WR, from Tampa has an offer.
 #22773  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:05 pm
Saw this come across the wire. Hudson is listed as a running back, but walked on at Georgia and has been a special teams starter for the Dawgs the last three years. He had interest coming out of high school from Davidson, SMU, and Air Force. Furman had interest in him coming out of high school.

Hudson has a sterling reputation around the Georgia program and well regarded for work ethic and toughness. He rarely sees the field as a running back (UGA is incredibly deep at that position), but plays a lot on special teams. It isn't every day a 5'10 185 lbs kid walks on at a major P5 program and plays as much as he has the last three years.

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/A ... 140311584/

Maybe he has some interest in Furman. He's a good student, and I think he'd be a great fit as an FCS player in an offense like ours, where his toughness, athleticism, and versatility can be put to use.

Of course, I'm partial. He's a local boy and a grad of my alma mater. He would have played high school ball with Duncan Fletcher.
 #22783  by JohnW
 Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:10 pm
Per his tweet Charles Thompson Jr, 6-1 175 WR, from Cedar Hill, TX has an offer. Currently committed to Yale.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.