#76113  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:13 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:49 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:54 pm
BearDownMU wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:25 pm
Not that anyone cares, but this is my biggest X-factor for the week. Through 3 games, I have seen the least "Cronic-ish" game plans as long as he's been at Mercer. I understand Week 1, UNA had an entirely new coaching staff (put together from different programs) and 40 transfers in a Week 0 game. There was literally no film on them, at all. You have to go to coaches and their previous schools and who knows if that even translated. So I feel like that game was just about as vanilla as it could possibly be because no one really knew what UNA was going to do/be.

Ole Miss is what it is, and Morehead was also very generic. Not traditionally what you see in a Cronic offense. All that said, for me, the real question is: Since Cronic has been in the lab for 2 weeks with the off week, and now every game matters, and you have film to work with (for us and Furman) what do the offensive and defensive game plans look like? It's the reason I've been hesitant to get too high or low on results so far because I don't know that we've seen Mercer do "what they do" just yet. That doesn't mean it's necessarily going to work, but to this point, the game plans have been much less sophisticated than I've come to expect from Cronic.
We just hope that if he unleashes the bubonic Cronic that it just goes up in smoke.

Censored, but still PG-13 Language…maybe R-Rated - Pure genius though. Perhaps the greatest cover in the history of covers…covering the source of cavedweller’s reference (4:25).
FUBeAR. off subject but if you like that one you probably know this one - And the story behind Johnathan Coulton. Play it and give it a listen. So deadpan it’s great

Dude went to Yale. Was a successful computer programmer and quit as he felt he could write music. So he wrote FIFTY TWO songs in a year (some covers like this) - one a week - to see if he could really do it. Damn if he didn’t. Huge success.

I love this one. Much like your Snoop Cover. Though more nerd and less red lol. You ever listen to Coulton? I bet so. You seem to have a lot of interests
 #76117  by FUBeAR
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:24 am
FUBeAR thought this was cute…
 #76123  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:36 pm
As you note, having some OL out has had a silver lining - Furman has been able to get the next wave of Paladin offensive linemen valuable snaps of experience in their absences.

So, now we're back to full speed up front and have developed depth and experience we didn't necessarily expect to have.
 #76125  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:17 pm
Good gravy. Blackshear almost had two picks on that drive. Gotta start grabbing those.
Two games in a row we are dropping easy picks. Maybe we need db catching drills. No jinx
 #76126  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:25 pm
Memo to play callers. 2 and 3 yd dump passes on third and long don’t get it.
dornb liked this
 #76127  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:30 pm
Defense seems largely ready for Cronic's games.

Offense has moved the ball, but gotten behind the chains on first down twice. Need to just keep pounding the ball at them.
 #76128  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:59 pm
These offensive body blows are going to start paying dividends in the second half.

Defense just needs to keep playing. We're eventually going to get a turnover.

Not sure about the holding call on Mercer, but the Bears coaches seemed to accept it. Maybe it was obvious.
 #76129  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:19 pm
That FU timeout qualifies as dumbest call of the year! Completely turned the game.
Stumpy liked this
 #76130  by Jasper
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:22 pm
With 30 seconds left in the and the ball deep in their own territory we go into a “prevent defense” that of course prevents nothing. We gifted them a score and raised their hopes. Nonsensical call for a team pitching a shutout.
bj93, apaladin, Davemeister liked this
 #76131  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:23 pm
We don’t get qb pressure. We don’t. One sack in half when they are obviously passing on last drive and yet again we let a WR get behind us for last minute TD. Horrible. They have made Huff roll out some more than our single sack. Where is QB PRESSURE ?…….! Apparently we just don’t have it. Serious. The word was Peevy isn’t elusive. Well we got him rushed/sack Once. Once. No other pressures I can recall. Huff had pocket collapse more even if he dove for a yard so it doesn’t count as sack. They have collapsed our pocket more than we have theirs. And that leads to huge last minute td.

They GIFTED us some penalty on our botched punt. Our O is getting better and run D is strong. It’s the old thing of we would rather then have 3rd and 2 vs one minute drill. Seriously, we are killing on run D, Stoppping third and shirt awesome. But damn man, get some freakin QB pressure or don’t let a WR behind you with 20 seconds left
 #76132  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:26 pm
Rough way to end the half after being in a spot to really put a foot on their neck.

At bottom, we probably should have had a 10 point lead, and have a 10 point lead. Mercer ended up gifting us a TD and we gave it right back to them. Great defensive half of football outside of the last 3 plays.

I think we're in a good spot. Our offense is starting to really move the ball and these physical body blows are going to benefit us as the game wears on.

We weren't likely to shut them out, so let's keep chopping.
 #76133  by jesse174
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:27 pm
hope they don't keep throwing long passes...if they do its a loss...can't let that happen the way it did.... just horrible

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.