• Mercer 11/12

#59655  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:48 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:09 pm
That is a well-written article.
I'm just glad the SoCon is getting national press again.

It seems like the article suggests that the SoCon this season is getting back to a state similar to what Furman/App/GSU were able to accomplish 20 years ago - a few good teams that are able to avoid upsets by the bottom half of the conference and only lose against one another.
 #59656  by AstroDin
 Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:59 am
Clay mentioned on his Monday show… last season Mercer was the aggressor. I felt that way from the moment the game was kicked off. Clay also mentioned as he is quick to do, the loss was on him for doing a terrible job preparing for the game. I feel that is a bit harsh. Furman was struggling at the time with any offensive consistency.

I'm interested to hear about Dan's preview show today. I'll admit, as a fan, I'm frustrated that they appear to have some mental advantage in the match-up against Furman ever since Mercer joined the SoCon. I hope that Furman plays with the same aggresivenes they showed against Chatty.

Based on the media and all the lopsided stats that favor Mercer, Furman shouldn't even get on the bus. But they will. Let's take care of business, DINS!
bj93 liked this
 #59660  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:13 am
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:59 am

I'll admit, as a fan, I'm frustrated that they appear to have some mental advantage in the match-up against Furman ever since Mercer joined the SoCon.

Based on the media and all the lopsided stats that favor Mercer, Furman shouldn't even get on the bus.
LOL on “shouldn’t even get on the bus”

And…don’t know about Mercer having a mental advantage, but do know this matchup has been ‘extra-chippy’ since 2014.

Was talking about the game with a former Paladin all-world DB yesterday and we discussed that ‘extra-chippiness.’ This game means A LOT for both Teams. The pairing meant a lot for Furman in 2018 - SoCon Championship and (shoulda been) Playoffs were on the line for Furman, but Mercer was only playing to finish above .500 in the SoCon. This season both Teams are, essentially, playing for the SoCon Championship, the Playoffs, and even a seed in the Playoffs. This game is HUGE compared to the prior evenly split 8 matchups! So, with everything on the line and the ‘extra-chippiness’ built-in, we discussed the possibility that personal fouls / ejections could very well play a significant part in the outcome tomorrow.

#ComposureMatters
 #59664  by AstroDin
 Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:22 am
I know this is just my inexperienced take — I played BB, not football, in HS. That's what being 5-10 135 will get you, no matter how well you can catch a football.

Playing with a little extra chippiness (as long as it doesn't blow up into PF calls) benefits Furman. That said, I might be confusing chippiness with physical play.

Furman's line needs to come to play—I see no reason they won't. I hope the players listen to some of the podcast reviews of the matchup. Hack City—I like those guys. Lauded the o-lines of Mercer and Chatty and were very dismissive of Furman's offensive punch. Noted they were going off just numbers and the belief that Chatty played down to Furman's level and was a greatly hobbled team.
 #59665  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:31 am
I don't think most Furman folks understand how important this particular game is to Mercer every year.

The Bears don't have a natural rival in the SoCon. There are no other SoCon teams in the state. We are the program they want to be better than.

Honestly, in the current SoCon, we may well be the top rival for most of the conference right now. I suppose that should be something we take pride in - every team sees us as their biggest competition.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #59690  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:11 pm
Looking over the numbers, the thing that keeps jumping out at me is (1) running the ball and (2) stopping the run.

Mercer averages 203 rushing yards a game. Furman's defense has allowed only one team - WCU - to hit the 200 yard rushing mark this season (and I doubt we'll see that defensive effort again this year). The Paladins have held their last two opponents (UTC and VMI) under 100 yards on the ground.

So, something is probably going to give there.

On offense, Furman has been able to pretty consistently run the ball against everyone. No one has really been able to take the Paladin running game off the table. Furman is averaging 225 a game on the ground. Mercer is surrendering 110.

Again, something is going to have to give.
Bootie, dornb liked this
 #59691  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Looking over the numbers, the thing that keeps jumping out at me is (1) running the ball and (2) stopping the run.

Mercer averages 203 rushing yards a game. Furman's defense has allowed only one team - WCU - to hit the 200 yard rushing mark this season (and I doubt we'll see that defensive effort again this year). The Paladins have held their last two opponents (UTC and VMI) under 100 yards on the ground.

On offense, Furman has been able to pretty consistently run the ball against everyone. No one has really been able to take the Paladin running game off the table. Furman is averaging 225 a game on the ground. Mercer is surrendering 110.

So…are you pulling for Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, Amanda Peet, Keanu Reeves or some combination of the 4?
 #59692  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:55 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

So…are you pulling for Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, Amanda Peet, Keanu Reeves or some combination of the 4?

Guh. Amanda Peet is in her 50s.
 #59693  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

No worries…FUBeAR likes ‘em young.
 #59716  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:58 pm
Go Paladins, BEAT MERCER!!!!
 #59759  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:48 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

What’s your point?
 #59765  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:23 am
Looks like plenty of tickets available on bith sides so doubt any attendance records will be set as FuBear mentioned,
 #59785  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:03 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:48 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

What’s your point?

We're all getting older.