• Sanford game thread.

#38173  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:04 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:38 am
If I could make one coaching decision(heaven forbid) I would pretty much eliminate the short sideline passes. They are dangerous and even if complete gain little. Not worth the risk. I would throw to the middle of the field. Sisson seems much more comfortable throwing there. One thing he needs to improve on is to not lock in on the primary receiver.

You can't.

Western Carolina, for instance, defended Furman frequently by dropping into a cover 3 look. That allowed them to try to keep more men up against Furman's run game by keeping a deep shell over the top.

If a team defends us that way - and many do - the holes in the defense are frequently outside the numbers and to the sideline. Our QBs have to be able to complete those throws. If the run game stalls, that's where the holes are.
Last edited by The Jackal on Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #38174  by FUBeAR
Paul C wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:54 am
Look at the near side safety coming down hard and DeLuca goes right by him.
Exactly what I was gonna point out. Good eye Paul.

Not sure if this is RPO. Don’t think so, but I guess it could be. OL techniques look more like p/a PassPro to me.

Anyway...the Safety was sucked down because he had seen between the tackles runs all day & he wants to get him some of that action. Can we take the yards from this pass completion, add it to the rushing yards & recalc the rushing yard/carry? This play worked because we ran the ball between the tackles fairly effectively earlier. So, when you’re saying to yourself, “Another run up the middle. Jeez, don’t these Coaches know anything about Football?” Picture this 54 yard pass/reception/run as an up-the-middle run in your mind / on your stat sheet & reassure yourself that they do. They very much do.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FurmAlum liked this
 #38175  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:07 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:54 am
Look at the near side safety coming down hard and DeLuca goes right by him.
Exactly what I was gonna point out. Good eye Paul.

Not sure if this is RPO. Don’t think so, but I guess it could be. OL techniques look more like p/a PassPro to me.

Anyway...the Safety was sucked down because he had seen between the tackles runs all day & he wants to get him some of that action. Can we take the yards from this pass completion, add it to the rushing yards & recalc the rushing yard/carry? This play worked because we ran the ball between the tackles fairly effectively earlier. So, when you’re saying to yourself, “Another run up the middle. Jeez, don’t these Coaches know anything about Football?” Picture this pass/reception/run in your mind & reassure yourself that they do. They very much do.
I debated it, but Sisson definitely seems to pull the ball back instead of just a run fake.

I think the Safety getting out of position was just a lucky break. I don't think he's the read.

From what I've seen the first few weeks, teams appear to use their safety to crash hard into Furman's run action, regardless of whether we are passing the ball.
 #38176  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:09 pm
Also, I think the OL blocking on a play like this is for the backside to pass block while the play side run blocks.
 #38179  by JohnW
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:33 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:13 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:01 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:21 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:25 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:48 pm
And, as FUBeAR said last week - kudos to him - “not sure why they don’t jump our long throws to the sideline”. Samford did.
Don’t think FUBeAR “said” that. Does not sound at all like something FUBeAR would say / post.
I think it was me.
I think our QB has about as many of the needed tools as most FCS QB’s, but watching him throw hurts. That is just something the OC needs to work around. It seemed like we threw to the middle of the field more yesterday and got a bunch of yards. Those throws are relatively short with a big payoff and teams are giving them to us, seems like. Also Sisson was a running threat yesterday. That’s how it’s gotta be. If he gets hurt just direct snap to Wynn.

It is also good that Samford’s coaches had too much pride to just blitz down like VMI did.

I think our offense made adjustments to slow down the "VMI problem."

I think the QB question requires some context. Sisson is a sophomore in his first experience as "the guy" on this football team.

Look back at two really successful recent Furman QBs. PJ Blazejowski took over a lot of the starting duty in 2015 as a sophomore. He had some phenomenal games (305 yards against Wofford). He also had some crippling mistakes in games that cost us wins (two fourth quarter INTs against the Citadel). It really wasn't until his senior year that he took off.

Reese Hannon put his name in Furman record books. Also, early in his career, he had some real dud games. Going 10 of 19 for 51 yards in our embarrassing 1-point home win against Presbyterian is a notable one.

Give the kid some time. I think he's going to be a very solid player for us, just like the other two became solid players the more they played and experienced they gained.
I think I said he was solid aside from not having much of an arm. You don’t have to have a great arm to be an ok college qb. You just need coaches that recognize what you can and can’t do and set you up for success. But I do expect that kid from Texas to compete for the job. Not gonna anoint Sisson based on that freak comeback.
If there is not another QB in fall camp capable of starting, it will be coaching malfeasance. Also that "pistol look" long handoff to a deep single back stinks, looks like we're back to zone reads and blocking... why change our rushing approach? The finish was exiting with Samford helping a lot, but I find with Furman football I don't want exiting, I want domination, a team that knows what it is doing and then does it. I saw that week one for the most part, not since.
76MrMoto liked this
 #38185  by Thorny
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:10 pm
JohnW wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
And, as FUBeAR said last week - kudos to him - “not sure why they don’t jump our long throws to the sideline”. Samford did.
Don’t think FUBeAR “said” that. Does not sound at all like something FUBeAR would say / post.
I think it was me.
I think our QB has about as many of the needed tools as most FCS QB’s, but watching him throw hurts. That is just something the OC needs to work around. It seemed like we threw to the middle of the field more yesterday and got a bunch of yards. Those throws are relatively short with a big payoff and teams are giving them to us, seems like. Also Sisson was a running threat yesterday. That’s how it’s gotta be. If he gets hurt just direct snap to Wynn.

It is also good that Samford’s coaches had too much pride to just blitz down like VMI did.

I think the QB question requires some context. Sisson is a sophomore in his first experience as "the guy" on this football team.

Look back at two really successful recent Furman QBs. PJ Blazejowski took over a lot of the starting duty in 2015 as a sophomore. He had some phenomenal games (305 yards against Wofford). He also had some crippling mistakes in games that cost us wins (two fourth quarter INTs against the Citadel). It really wasn't until his senior year that he took off.

Reese Hannon put his name in Furman record books. Also, early in his career, he had some real dud games. Going 10 of 19 for 51 yards in our embarrassing 1-point home win against Presbyterian is a notable one.

Give the kid some time. I think he's going to be a very solid player for us, just like the other two became solid players the more they played and experienced they gained.
I think I said he was solid aside from not having much of an arm. You don’t have to have a great arm to be an ok college qb. You just need coaches that recognize what you can and can’t do and set you up for success. But I do expect that kid from Texas to compete for the job. Not gonna anoint Sisson based on that freak comeback.
If there is not another QB in fall camp capable of starting, it will be coaching malfeasance. Also that "pistol look" long handoff to a deep single back stinks, looks like we're back to zone reads and blocking... why change our rushing approach? The finish was exiting with Samford helping a lot, but I find with Furman football I don't want exiting, I want domination, a team that knows what it is doing and then does it. I saw that week one for the most part, not since.
Every offense can do what ever they want against Western. They are bad to the point I feel sorry for them.
 #38186  by FUBeAR
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:23 pm
Thorny wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
I think it was me.

Every offense can do what ever they want against Western. They are bad to the point I feel sorry for them.
Why? Did they finally issue a public apology for their fans vandalizing our stadium in 1983; for attempting to repeat/elevate their vandalism in 1984, while at least one of their fans assaulted one of our former Players with a deadly weapon inflicting great bodily harm upon him?

Please link to a source of that Official Apology and FUBeAR will feel sorry for them too. Their Defense truly is the worst Defense that has ever taken a Divsion 1 College Football Field.
furman88, gman84 liked this
 #38187  by FurmAlum
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:26 pm
My uneducated football observations are:

I was going to say before the game that Sisson ought to run some on the option plays because it was getting awful predictable and he did and it worked.

They did blitz some and it was picked up well by our RB's.

Our OL blocked good, it's just hard when they stack the box not fearing the pass. Next game I would like to see the OC let him throw some early maybe on 1st down to loosen things up.

Hamp is still young and doing some OTJ training. He did a great job in the 4th quarter and I don't see anything wrong with his arm.
AstroDin, FUBeAR, PalaDad and 1 others liked this
 #38194  by Thorny
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:47 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thorny wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
I think it was me.

Why? Did they finally issue a public apology for their fans vandalizing our stadium in 1983; for attempting to repeat/elevate their vandalism in 1984, while at least one of their fans assaulted one of our former Players with a deadly weapon inflicting great bodily harm upon him?

Please link to a source of that Official Apology and FUBeAR will feel sorry for them too. Their Defense truly is the worst Defense that has ever taken a Divsion 1 College Football Field.
All of that happened before Western's players were even alive.

I've had a Furman Football player threaten to kill me because they *thought* I was gay. You old timers need to get over your grudges.
 #38195  by gofurman
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:04 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:14 am
GoFU… we have two core posting groups - one group is more 'positive overall' and the other group is in 'just waiting to be let down group.' I'm not going to call one group more positive and one group more negative - in the end - as Furman fans, we all go through the ups and downs of a program together. Saturday down by 14 sitting alone in the stands - I wasn't sure why I was sitting there waiting for Furman to go 1-2.

I stood up to go — got another in-game text from Paul - we were both in a bit of numbness - I sat back down to text Paul, nothing I had nothing to say. I took a deep breath as I watched Hamp Sisson settling the team to call a play - I sent Paul the only thing that felt appropriate - the Jolly Roger flag emoji. On the ensuing play, Sisson scrambles his ass off-rolling right and hits a slashing DeLuca for the first 4th quarter score. I sat my ass back down.

Sorry guys - call me corny, call me still not recovered from the death of my Dad - but I knew at that very moment the Dins were going to win this game.

Random Game Thoughts

Ryan Miller — Miller showed us the potential of this team's explosive play-making ability. This staff has gradually increased the big playmaking ability of this team.

Cally Chizik — is so underrated. He covers well and is surprisingly physical for his size.

Cujo Coleman — is really good now, and is only going to get better. With two more years to play and Bryce Stanfield coming in the fall our defensive line play is only going to get better.

Our frustrating at time offense — as the fourth quarter started I felt like if Furman could string some plays together and score Samford would be put on its heels. Samford tightened up and started playing stall ball and IMO it took them out of their rhythm on offense. I started thinking - Samford doesn't trust its defense now. Furman's offense may look ugly and frustrating at times but the Dins wore down Samford. Furman gashed Samford in two plays to score the only points in overtime.

My close — Hamp Sisson. Hamp is going to be a winner because a) he obviously has talent b) the dude is resilient c) toughness d) he owns up to his mistakes e) the players around him love him and see him as the leader. You have every right as a fan to be frustrated with the ups and downs of yesterday's game. But you also have to admit that Hamp's scrambles and Hamp's never give up attitude - is darn refreshing. His press conference comments are why I love our players and jolted back my faith in Furman football when just for a moment Saturday I was ready to put my head down and walk out of the stadium in defeat.

Astro. There is Nothing corny in this post -. As the kids say “You do you” man. Sooo Sorry about your father !!. I truly can’t imagine that
 #38204  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:46 pm
As much as we rode the offensive staff last week for the VMI game, you gotta tip your hat to them on this one.

Well timed, designed, and executed play. Samford's defense had no idea where the ball was.

The only man that keeps this from being a touchdown is Samford's #15. Peterson had him lined up in his sights and just didn't get a good block on him.

Speaking of athletic offensive linemen, watch the LG (Johanning) and LT (Tomlin) on the play. Johanning drives his man inside, reverse pivots and takes off. Tomlin has his internal clock running, ignores two defenders, and takes off outside to lead the caravan.

AstroDin, dornb, FurmAlum liked this
 #38208  by gman84
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:03 pm
Thorny wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:47 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thorny wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
I think it was me.

All of that happened before Western's players were even alive.

I've had a Furman Football player threaten to kill me because they *thought* I was gay. You old timers need to get over your grudges.
Old timers! I’ll never forget what happened in those 83 & 84 games. Why should I? I don’t dislike WCU, just the aholes from 83/84!
 #38211  by AstroDin
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:
As much as we rode the offensive staff last week for the VMI game, you gotta tip your hat to them on this one.

Well timed, designed, and executed play. Samford's defense had no idea where the ball was.

The only man that keeps this from being a touchdown is Samford's #15. Peterson had him lined up in his sights and just didn't get a good block on him.

Speaking of athletic offensive linemen, watch the LG (Johanning) and LT (Tomlin) on the play. Johanning drives his man inside, reverse pivots and takes off. Tomlin has his internal clock running, ignores two defenders, and takes off outside to lead the caravan.

thanks for finding that Jackal - that's one damn fine play - and judging by all the coaches retweeting lots of coaches like it too…
 #38218  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:47 pm
This, like the throw back screen to Miller, is another type of play Furman may have schemed up to slow down defenses.

We talked a lot last week about VMI's attacking defense and the difficulty Furman had slowing them down. If a team is going to pursue hard off the edge, a play like this punishes them for doing that.
 #38227  by gman84
 Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:46 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:

thanks for finding that Jackal - that's one damn fine play - and judging by all the coaches retweeting lots of coaches like it too…
Beautiful play, how about Devin Abrams coming out of nowhere as part of the caravan.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.