• No 2020 Season

#30205  by FU3
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:12 am
SC as a model for virus control... heaven help us.
 #30206  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:41 am
Roundball wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:31 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:54 am
Agree about the media, even locally. Everyday channel 4 reports so and so new cases and SC now has so and so confirmed cases. Not true most of those cases don’t exist now. Then every day they say that the cases are an increase of so and so from yesterday. At least twice this week there was a good drop in cases from the day before. Didn’t mention that the cases were a decrease of so and so from yesterday. :shock: :shock:
"Most of these cases don't exist now." What? Has the virus disappeared?
Doesn’t take a genius to figure that people that had it in March, April and May no longer have it. At least the majority don’t
 #30207  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:44 am
FU3 wrote:
Covid deaths/ 100,000
NJ. 178
NY 168
MA 124
CT. 124
MI 64
IL. 60
PA 56
CO 31
SC 30
TX. 20
AR. 14

We look pretty good to me. Of course the state with the most crowded redneck swimming pool of all time is doing better than anybody.
 #30209  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:00 pm
Just my two cents.

The mortality rate is typically pretty low with this virus. However, we do not know much about this virus or its long term effects (it is, in fact, "novel"). There is evidence that there could be long term impacts on the heart and lungs.

Take Eduardo Rodriguez, pitcher for the Boston Red Sox. He tested positive for COVID 19 and is now dealing with myocarditis, a heart condition, as a result. https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/red- ... infection/

So, we have a virus we do not know a whole lot about and that can cause health issues for professional athletes. Looking only at the mortality rate seems myopic. That's part of the equation, but certainly not all of it.
fufanatic, Roundball, JohnKX512 and 1 others liked this
 #30211  by fufanatic
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:38 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 am
If we had done nothing and let it run it's course without any shutdown or quarantine it would be over now. The shutdown and sending people home prolonged the situation. Masks are a useless gesture.
Even if all of this is true (which I've seen zero evidence to believe is the case), at what cost? How many people would have died if we had carried on business as normal? 1 million? 5 million? A small price to not be super inconvenienced am i right? Just better hope that yourself or someone you care about isn't in that group.

As for masks, I like this graphic a lot.

https://journalstar.com/lifestyles/heal ... d6211.html

They work. They aren't 100%, but they are better than no mask.
Roundball, JohnKX512, din23 liked this
 #30212  by FU3
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:33 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:44 am
FU3 wrote:
Covid deaths/ 100,000
NJ. 178
NY 168
MA 124
CT. 124
MI 64
IL. 60
PA 56
CO 31
SC 30
TX. 20
AR. 14

We look pretty good to me. Of course the state with the most crowded redneck swimming pool of all time is doing better than anybody.
Cases per 100,000
Louisiana 2,389
Arizona 2,280
New York 2,122
Florida 2,058
New Jersey 2,030
Mississippi 1,817
Rhode Island 1,768
District of Columbia 1,693
Massachusetts 1,686
Alabama 1,680
South Carolina 1,634
Georgia 1,609
Delaware 1,487

Top 10 in state cases per 100,000 and a 20% positivity testing rate. Throw in our Myrtle Beach Petri dish that resulted in numerous clusters in other states and I think it might be just a tiny bit premature to advertise our stunning successes in managing the virus. Much simpler to just blame any bad news on Channel 4.
JohnKX512, AstroDin liked this
 #30213  by paladinfan12
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:08 pm
There was an article in the Tennessean where they talked about how well written the Tennessee game contracts were and how easy it would be to get out of them if the SEC said conference only, however if the SEC goes conference only and allows exceptions for the ACC rivalry games, they'll have a hard time justifying cancelling a game against a small school 3 hours away.
 #30214  by JohnKX512
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:19 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
There was an article in the Tennessean where they talked about how well written the Tennessee game contracts were and how easy it would be to get out of them if the SEC said conference only, however if the SEC goes conference only and allows exceptions for the ACC rivalry games, they'll have a hard time justifying cancelling a game against a small school 3 hours away.
They play Charlotte too. I think they will have to choose between FU, Char, or Troy.

Would love to give the Vols a run for their money and actually have plans to attend the game....maybe.
 #30215  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:37 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
They play Charlotte too. I think they will have to choose between FU, Char, or Troy.
Would love to give the Vols a run for their money and actually have plans to attend the game....maybe.
If they have to choose between those 3 you would think they would choose to keep FU since FU will get about half of what the other 2 get. BTW it is getting close. The first games are one month from today, August 29th.
fufanatic, dornb liked this
 #30220  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:18 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

I don't care how well written their contracts are, they are not going to allow Tennessee to pick and choose who they want to play without violating the agreement as to the teams they select not to play.

If that's what the contract provides, then shame on us for agreeing to such a contract.

The way I see it, if Tennessee wants to play SEC only, they can hide behind the SEC's decision to do so (i.e., we cannot possibly play Furman because the SEC prohibits us from playing out of conference games).

If they want to play Oklahoma, they'll have to either pay or play Furman. They can't say COVID is so terrible that we can't play out of conference games, but we can play Oklahoma because there's a lot of money, but other than Oklahoma, it's too dangerous.

Now, if Tennessee plays Oklahoma and gets a bunch of money, maybe Furman just says "pay us a reduced amount and schedules us for 202_ and we'll call it square."
 #30221  by AstroDin
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:32 pm
If we do lose the Tennessee game - JMU, Elon, and Nova are in bad need of an opponent… come on down!
fufanatic liked this
 #30222  by palafan
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:40 pm
AstroDin wrote:
If we do lose the Tennessee game - JMU, Elon, and Nova are in bad need of an opponent… come on down!
The loss of this "payday" game will have a large and reaching impact on Furman athletics. Listening to Jason's interview about the end of baseball and LAX there was an ominous undertone and subtle suggestions that not having a normal football and basketball schedule could be the end of many more, if not all Furman sports.

Keep on drinking the media fear-mongering political coolaid.
 #30223  by palafan
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:41 pm
AstroDin wrote:
The loss of this "payday" game will have a large and reaching impact on Furman athletics. Listening to Jason's interview about the end of baseball and LAX there was an ominous undertone and subtle suggestions that not having a normal football and basketball schedule could be the end of many more, if not all Furman sports.

Keep on drinking the media fear-mongering political coolaid. (In general to everyone and not talking to Astro).
 #30224  by fufanatic
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:45 pm
ACC announces plan. 10-game ACC schedule plus one non-conference game but both teams have to be from same state. So you could still see Clemson - USC, Georgia - GT, FSU - Florida assuming SEC does same thing. Will be curious to see what they decide. I have a feeling Furman at UT isn't going to happen. Can the university be OK if football can add a second FBS game over the next few years to make up for this year?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.