• #7 Furman @ #20 Wofford (Nov. 16)(SoCon Championship Game)

#20348  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:03 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:28 am
Went back and watched some of the Citadel game again. I imagine Wofford will be looking at that film pretty closely.

We just didn't play well. Period. Didn't get off blocks, didn't get blocks, didn't complete passes, overran plays. Just not a banner day.

I do think there's a small advantage Saturday in that Furman has already played the Citadel - a run heavy offense that will cut your defenders all over the field. Wofford will try to do the same.
I don't know if playing the Citadel beforehand is an advantage or not since it proved we could not stop them. Remember the 4th and 2 at their own 19? Arguably WC has a better rushing game including a quicker QB. What concerns me is will our D be a be able to stop them and get off the field? I could see WC just frustrating us with long drives with lots of 3rd and 4th down conversions.
 #20359  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:38 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Went back and watched some of the Citadel game again. I imagine Wofford will be looking at that film pretty closely.

We just didn't play well. Period. Didn't get off blocks, didn't get blocks, didn't complete passes, overran plays. Just not a banner day.

I do think there's a small advantage Saturday in that Furman has already played the Citadel - a run heavy offense that will cut your defenders all over the field. Wofford will try to do the same.
I don't know if playing the Citadel beforehand is an advantage or not since it proved we could not stop them. Remember the 4th and 2 at their own 19? Arguably WC has a better rushing game including a quicker QB. What concerns me is will our D be a be able to stop them and get off the field? I could see WC just frustrating us with long drives with lots of 3rd and 4th down conversions.
Meh. Our defense wasn't lights out against the Citadel, but it really wasn't THAT bad of an effort.

It was 7-3 at the half. The Citadel scored 17 points off drives starting deep in our zone based on offensive inefficiency, turnovers, and punting into a headwind. That's not really on the defense. One of the Citadel's second half touchdowns started at the 31, the other at the 12.

Still, the more you play against that look the better you get at it.
 #20361  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Meh. Our defense wasn't lights out against the Citadel, but it really wasn't THAT bad of an effort.

It was 7-3 at the half. The Citadel scored 17 points off drives starting deep in our zone based on offensive inefficiency, turnovers, and punting into a headwind. That's not really on the defense. One of the Citadel's second half touchdowns started at the 31, the other at the 12.

I am blaming that loss on the junk weather, I believe we whip Citadel otherwise and will continue to think that until proven otherwise ;)
 #20362  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:54 pm
Did anyone catch CCH saying we open with Wofford next year? I assume he meant the first game of the year and not the first conference game. He did say he was not a fan of that. Maybe it will actually be an advantage as WC will have a new QB.
 #20364  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Comparing Wofford’s 2019 running game to the bellhops 2019 running game is cantaloupes to kumquats. To put it into lingo that bellhops & FU Military Science class-takers can understand - 9 Principles of Warfare AKA “MUSS MOOSE” - bellhops are all about “Mass” & ratdogs are all about “Maneuver.”

Neither run ‘the option’ much more than FU does. Woffy doesn’t run any ‘triple option’ & CIT runs very little. FU’s D won’t have learned anything more about playing wooofie from playing the luggagetoters than they do facing FU in practice; probably less.

IMO, FU should have aligned / schemed differently (applied “Economy of Force”) vs. CIT as their Mass of Force running game requires such to defeat.

Against, ankle-biters, no need for all that - just Maneuver better/faster & mix in a healthy bit of “Surprise”...and Paladins will capture the flag!
 #20370  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:40 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I am blaming that loss on the junk weather, I believe we whip Citadel otherwise and will continue to think that until proven otherwise ;)
Agreed. I'd love to see the bellhops again in the playoffs, but that would mean they beat Woffy and we didn't. So never mind...I can wait 'til next year.
 #20373  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:27 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Comparing Wofford’s 2019 running game to the bellhops 2019 running game is cantaloupes to kumquats. To put it into lingo that bellhops & FU Military Science class-takers can understand - 9 Principles of Warfare AKA “MUSS MOOSE” - bellhops are all about “Mass” & ratdogs are all about “Maneuver.”

Neither run ‘the option’ much more than FU does. Woffy doesn’t run any ‘triple option’ & CIT runs very little. FU’s D won’t have learned anything more about playing wooofie from playing the luggagetoters than they do facing FU in practice; probably less.

IMO, FU should have aligned / schemed differently (applied “Economy of Force”) vs. CIT as their Mass of Force running game requires such to defeat.

Against, ankle-biters, no need for all that - just Maneuver better/faster & mix in a healthy bit of “Surprise”...and Paladins will capture the flag!
Right. We needed to have help from our offense to beat Citadel... That's the summary. However, two former players confirmed what you are saying FUBeAR - we really didn't scheme exactly right vs the Citadel run game. I heard from both that our back 7 took a little long to get downhill and get into their reads - which is very odd considering the experience we have there.

The only concern there is that Wofford can run plays to take advantage of us if we do the same, Again, we must complete passes and keep the O on the field. That's the main thing - obviously. The D we employed vs Citadel was good but there is always room to improve. The backfield needs to get downhill faster and help in run support. I hope the safeties are closer to the LOS vs Woff than they were vs Citadel - it was interesting listening to former players and then watching that game again with their comments. We did seem to be lining up to0 deep on some plays. On the plays where our safeties started a little closer at the start of the play (to LOS) we did better.
 #20374  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:32 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I have no sympathy for a team that can't win in the rain. Its FOOTBALL. Like the classier western fans said to us last year "you all beat us and the weather helped you but that is NO EXCUSE." that's right on. If our system doesn't work in the rain then, well, we have issues. I personally don't think we do have those issues but to blame a loss on "rainy weather" is not gonna hold water
 #20375  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:57 pm
gofurman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I have no sympathy for a team that can't win in the rain. Its FOOTBALL. Like the classier western fans said to us last year "you all beat us and the weather helped you but that is NO EXCUSE." that's right on. If our system doesn't work in the rain then, well, we have issues. I personally don't think we do have those issues but to blame a loss on "rainy weather" is not gonna hold water

Meh, it holds just as much water as them hoping it rains next time we play them, just as much ;)
gofurman liked this
 #20376  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:07 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
gofurman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Meh, it holds just as much water as them hoping it rains next time we play them, just as much ;)
right. Schweddy balls hold water but most of my theories dont :D
 #20378  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:11 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:07 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
gofurman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

right. Schweddy balls hold water but most of my theories dont :D

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.