• 2019 offers

#9122  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:53 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 am
Yadkin wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 pm
Doubt we’ll miss a beat with Deluca. Probably be better IMO.
Hope you are right but you are implying the coaches were starting the Wrong guy... Because they played Burnette more than Deluca meaning they thought a little more of Burnette
Burnette is a good player and I'm sorry to see him go.

The offense is the offense, though. The last two years, we've attempted passes on 25-30% of our plays. Of those passes, a lot are directed to TEs and RBs. Receivers just aren't going to get fed a ton of balls during the game, though the upshot is a lot of the passes are of the homerun variety.

We have a lot of receivers on the roster and some young kids we have not gotten a look at yet. DeLuca led the team in receiving touchdowns last season, so I'm sure we'll be fine.
 #9124  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:09 am
Paul C wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:26 pm
Yes, he’s gone. Wants more passes to catch.

Also saw we offered an “under the radar” OL/DL from Fla 6-4/285 Dan Dodd from Keystone Heights Fla. We are first D1 offer. Named Cook County “Super 11” and is apparently a big strong tough OL.
Had to look it up, but looks like that is a suburb (sort of) of Jacksonville.

Big kid. Strikes me as more of a DL given his size than what Furman is looking for at OL.
 #9126  by AstroDin
 Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:59 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:53 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 am
Yadkin wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 pm
Doubt we’ll miss a beat with Deluca. Probably be better IMO.
Hope you are right but you are implying the coaches were starting the Wrong guy... Because they played Burnette more than Deluca meaning they thought a little more of Burnette
Burnette is a good player and I'm sorry to see him go.

The offense is the offense, though. The last two years, we've attempted passes on 25-30% of our plays. Of those passes, a lot are directed to TEs and RBs. Receivers just aren't going to get fed a ton of balls during the game, though the upshot is a lot of the passes are of the homerun variety.

We have a lot of receivers on the roster and some young kids we have not gotten a look at yet. DeLuca led the team in receiving touchdowns last season, so I'm sure we'll be fine.
DeLuca can flat out play — you have to give credit to Bratton for developing DeLuca from a QB to a solid receiver. I'd expect Bell to take a big step forward in his second year. Louis Hall appears to be ready to play after suffering a knee injury during the early part of his senior year.

Junior film: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4769080/583 ... 08106a0446

If needed Austin Jones who is enrolled and will participate in spring drills played both ways for Rabun Co. His stats are impressive: 2282 receiving yards and 24 TD, 3556 all-purpose yards, 354 tackles 18 TFL, 10 Int 4 caused fum 3 fum recovered 1 pick 6, 1112 KR yards and 5 TD's and a rushing TD (31 total TD's). The challenge here I think Jones could be a starter at S. I'll go ahead and curse Mr. Jones and say he reminds me of Mr. Thacker.
 #9127  by AstroDin
 Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:09 am
Just checked on Jan. 11th The Furman Football twitter account welcomed Jumper, Jones, and Miller to school… Jalen Miller is listed as LB, not SPUR.
SPUR is deep right now; Willis, Porter, and Wilkins (who the coaches are really high on). I think Miller if he hadn't been a very early commit and hadn't suffered an injury that took him out of most of the 2018 season except for the end of the season and Brynes run to the state championship game, would have gotten a lot more offers, Furman still had to battle Wofford, and The Citadel to get him. Brynes has a great history of putting out fast physical linebackers, Miller has great size, and is very athletic, I wondered if we'd see him maybe get a look at OLB. Looks like that is going to happen, it wouldn't surprise me to see Miller have an impact in the spring.
 #9129  by Yadkin
 Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:45 am
Furman has long employed a 4-5 WR rotation with those guys all getting a good bit of PT. I don’t put that much stock into who starts at those two positions. In several cases FU has used only one WR in the game’s opening play or series depending on the play call. Deluca caught two TDs in the win over Mercer as did TE Jake Walker. Deluca’s proven he can produce in a meaningful way. Maybe Burnette didn’t like the competition? Don’t know. Maybe the Furman TEAM just got stronger.
AstroDin, MNORM, Paul C liked this
 #9134  by Paul C
 Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:55 pm
Yadkin wrote:Deluca caught two TDs in the win over Mercer....
Knowing 18-22 years olds like I do wouldn’t be shocked if this is why he’s leaving :) :)

An opportunity for last year signee Louis Hall to step up.
 #9155  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:02 pm
I would also note that we have two really solid receiving TEs.

Ryan Miller, who is built more like a WR, was the team's third leading receiver. I can get a big picture of the team keeping Bryce McCormick at TE and using Miller in a hybrid receiver role.
 #9173  by The Jackal
 Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:02 pm
I would also note that we have two really solid receiving TEs.

Ryan Miller, who is built more like a WR, was the team's third leading receiver. I can get a big picture of the team keeping Bryce McCormick at TE and using Miller in a hybrid receiver role.
Just another thought on this.

Furman primarily seems to run a personnel package with 2 WRs, 1 TE, and 2RBs. They use that package to give a lot of different looks, because the WRs will move into the backfield, the RBs will lineup at receiver, and the TE moves all over the field.

I think the primary difference between what Hendrix is doing and the "traditional" Furman offense is that he isn't necessarily substituting one position for another, but just one player for another. That is, if Furman wants to show a 3WR look, the TB moves into the slot. Furman isn't substituting a WR for a RB necessarily. Sometimes the WR moves into the slot and the TE goes out wide to keep a two back look. Same personnel, different look.

Realistically, that's going to be less pass-catching opportunities for WRs. Not only does Furman not throw it a bunch as a matter of philosophy, but Furman uses other positions to play receiver depending on the look. There are rarely more than two WRs on the field at any one time, so naturally there will be fewer passes for any one of them to catch.
 #9174  by JohnW
 Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:40 pm
From his tweet Landon Moody, 6-1 205 LB, from Bloomingdale HS, Fl has an offer.
 #9194  by The Jackal
 Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:40 pm
JohnW wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:40 pm
From his tweet Landon Moody, 6-1 205 LB, from Bloomingdale HS, Fl has an offer.
Let me also say that I am excited about how he phrased this tweet. Instead of my "sixth offer from Furman University," which is how virtually everyone puts it, it is his "sixth opportunity to play college football." Furman didn't offer you a scholarship six times.

#9337  by JohnW
 Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:18 pm
From his tweet Kam Brinson, 5-11 185 DB, from Aquinas HS in Augusta has an offer.
 #9400  by JohnW
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:17 pm
JohnW wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:34 pm
Now that the dead period is over and recruiting should start heating up again, I thought it would be helpful to bring all the known open offers forward.

Noah Henderson, 6-1 195 WR, from Christ Presby in Nashville. Charlotte commit.

Dane Motley, 6-0 195, SS/LB, from Alpharetta, Ga.

Tino Acuri, 6-3 260 DE/T, from Youngstown, Ohio. Army commit.

Jack Stanton, 6-4 235 4.6 DE/TE, from Alpharetta, Ga.

Nick Jackson, 6-2 215 DE, from Winter Park, Fl.

Kanyon Walker, 6-0 175 4.55 DB/WR, from Leesburg, Fl. Tulane commit.

Du'Shante Holloway, 6-0 190 LB/S/RB, from Villa Rica, Ga. Yale commit.

Tahir Annoor, 5-11 190 DB, from Brentwood Academy, Tn. Wofford commit.

Josh Slay, 6-1 195 LB/SS, from Douglas Co, Ga.

Devonte Jones, 6-2 305 DL, from TL Hannah. Furman commit.

Daiveon Carrington, 6-0 175 RB/S, from Garner, NC.

Zach Hopkins, 6-0 215 LB/SS, from Madison, AL.

Jabari Moore, 6-0 183 DB, from Hoover, AL. Army commit.

Connor Meyer, 6-3 DL/TE, from Kettering, Ohio.

David Madzivanyika, 6-4 245 DE, from Hillside HS, Durham, NC. Harvard commit.

Aaron Davis, 6-2 215 LB, from Gonzaga HS in D.C.

Justin Olson, 6-3 175 4.5 WR, from N. Mecklenburg HS, NC. UNC commit.

Jake Kimmelman, 6-2 190 4.5, WR/DB, from Southside Christian. Furman commit.

Nolan Parris, 6-3 190 K, from Wake Forest HS, NC.

Joshua Agbenou, 6-2 226 LB, from Winder, Ga.

Jake Johanning, 6-2 255 OL, from St Joseph. Furman commit.

Keyvaun Cobb, -1180DB, from Christ School. Wofford commit.

Michael Axelrood, 6-2 185 S/WR, from Evanston Ind. Princeton Commit.

Wayne Anderson, 5-10 180 RB, from Prosper, TX. Furman commit.

Malik Richardson, 6-4 200 QB, from Lakewood HS. Western Carolina commit.

Cally Chizik, 5-9 160 DB, from Auburn Al. Furman commit.

Alex Washington, 6-1 175 DB, from Mountain Brook. Harvard commit.

Michael Mason, 6-3 235 OLB/DE, from Florence.

Caleb Ogunmola, 5-9 185 WR/DB, from Charlotte Providence.

Dan Dodd, 6-4 285 OL, from Keystone Heights, FL. Furman commit.

Landon Moody, 6-1 205 LB, from Bloomingdale, FL

Cam Brinson, 5-11 185 DB, from Aquinas HS.
Updated the list of outstanding offers, including recent commitments.
 #9404  by Paul C
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:03 pm
Michael Mason, 6-3 235 OLB/DE, from Florence.

Noticed he was on campus this past weekend. And appeared to have visited Wofford the weekend before.
 #9405  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm
So we lost our only QB offer to WCU? Not good.
 #9406  by soconjohn
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:04 pm
Virginia Tech QB Josh Jackson has entered transfer portal.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.