Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:25 am
FUBeAR’s self-proclaimed expert OPINION

Wet field, grass - Adv Passing Offense

Wet field, turf - Slight Adv Pass Off…maybe

Raining/Precipitating, either surface - Adv Run Off

No other opinions required
 #81532  by Paul C
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:26 am
Bad news. Forecast for tomorrow is deteriorating. Now it looks like more of a steady moderate rain starting midday and will continue during the game.
 #81536  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:19 am
Paul C wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:26 am
Bad news. Forecast for tomorrow is deteriorating. Now it looks like more of a steady moderate rain starting midday and will continue during the game.
FUBeAR has found he really likes the TMRW App…the forecast he’s seeing there has been improving this AM. Moving to more “Fog” than Rain … except for about an hour. FUBeAR likes Fog. He lives in one.

#81539  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:04 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:01 am
Good find!

I think it’s interesting they claim to have reinvented their offense over 3 weeks. It’s pretty rare to do that in-season. We’ll see how that looks tomorrow.
LOL - yeah, FUBeAR made a little 'sport' of this article on the Mocs' Board.

All they said is they might not be as much of a Zone Scheme Team next year, so they are doing some "other" stuff since Artopoeus went down. "Other" stuff would imply Gap Scheme runs - Power, Counter, Buck Sweep, Trap and such (like FU does...in addition to Split IZ ... and some OZ).

FUBeAR has only watched a wee bit of their APSU game and it seemed they were running a lot MORE OZ with wider aiming points....really trying to get the RB to the edge - which makes sense cuz they don't have a Ford Truck plowing up the middle (IZ) any more....Didn't see any Gap Scheme, Pulling Guards, etc. - maybe FUBeAR needs to watch more tape . But that comment .... seems to be the proverbial 'nothing burger'

And the only other change FUBeAR could find was that it is a CHANGE that they haven't CHANGED O-Line personnel all year....kinda the inverse of 'the only thing constant is change' FUBeAR guesses. So, not sure how that "change" is gonna help those same guys to not give up 5 sacks to FU's D again....but....we'll see.

BTW - this is not to besmirch their CFP beat writer - Gene Henley - who is the byline on this, um, interesting article - he does a really good job (for being a Hoops guy) for the Mocs - strikes the right balance between being a homer and telling the truth - and he seems to work his hindquarters off. FUBeAR is a fan of Mr. Henley's work.
 #81546  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:51 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:33 am
I think a wet field can favor an offense. They know where they are going and the defense does not.

I suppose there's a distinction between a wet field and it actually raining. If it's raining, you see fewer attempts and yards per attempt. Just harder to throw and catch the football.

The good news for football fans is neither team Saturday is an air raid offense, so it's not much gonna matter. UTC is probably going to have to throw it more than Furman, but they are by no means a "passing team."
i say this a lot. Rain favors the away team. Because it keeps the home fans at home as I bet most FCS attenddance go from 7K to 3 or 4K if raining
 #81548  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:20 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
I think a wet field can favor an offense. They know where they are going and the defense does not.

I suppose there's a distinction between a wet field and it actually raining. If it's raining, you see fewer attempts and yards per attempt. Just harder to throw and catch the football.

The good news for football fans is neither team Saturday is an air raid offense, so it's not much gonna matter. UTC is probably going to have to throw it more than Furman, but they are by no means a "passing team."
i say this a lot. Rain favors the away team. Because it keeps the home fans at home as I bet most FCS attenddance go from 7K to 3 or 4K if raining
If we were gonna have 7 in a stadium that seats 16, does it matter to the Players if we only have 3 or 4?

Not sure how it affected you during your playing days, but FUBeAR ain't studyin' that ish.

At Clemson, backed up in the LOUD endzone, and at JMU (way back when - when they had a fairly small crowd that was oddly silent - like they were watching a movie in a movie theater or something) is the only time FUBeAR ever even thought about crowd size.

Just wanted to know if the cleats were right for the field condition and what other options might be needed/available if not...and when he was a Center, what our ball drying / towel wearing for QB's hands (OG's can tuck 'em too) plan was.

Crowd size is a non-issue in most FCS stadiums/games
 #81550  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:09 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:04 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:01 am
Good find!

I think it’s interesting they claim to have reinvented their offense over 3 weeks. It’s pretty rare to do that in-season. We’ll see how that looks tomorrow.
LOL - yeah, FUBeAR made a little 'sport' of this article on the Mocs' Board.

All they said is they might not be as much of a Zone Scheme Team next year, so they are doing some "other" stuff since Artopoeus went down. "Other" stuff would imply Gap Scheme runs - Power, Counter, Buck Sweep, Trap and such (like FU does...in addition to Split IZ ... and some OZ).

FUBeAR has only watched a wee bit of their APSU game and it seemed they were running a lot MORE OZ with wider aiming points....really trying to get the RB to the edge - which makes sense cuz they don't have a Ford Truck plowing up the middle (IZ) any more....Didn't see any Gap Scheme, Pulling Guards, etc. - maybe FUBeAR needs to watch more tape . But that comment .... seems to be the proverbial 'nothing burger'

And the only other change FUBeAR could find was that it is a CHANGE that they haven't CHANGED O-Line personnel all year....kinda the inverse of 'the only thing constant is change' FUBeAR guesses. So, not sure how that "change" is gonna help those same guys to not give up 5 sacks to FU's D again....but....we'll see.

BTW - this is not to besmirch their CFP beat writer - Gene Henley - who is the byline on this, um, interesting article - he does a really good job (for being a Hoops guy) for the Mocs - strikes the right balance between being a homer and telling the truth - and he seems to work his hindquarters off. FUBeAR is a fan of Mr. Henley's work.

I'm inclined to just wonder whether UTC is just "modifying" the offense some to accommodate a different QB.

Artopoeus is a thicker, older, and more experienced QB. Until this past weekend, he was UTC's third leading rusher in terms of yards gained. Schomburg is a different style of player with less experience. So, I'm sure UTC is having to accommodate those changes.
 #81551  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:25 pm
Someone on the Moc forum also inquired about Artopoeus' role as the holder on kicks.

No one really thinks much about the holder on place kicks.

It looks like Artopoeus has done holding most of the year for UTC. Speculating, but UTC started the season with Jude Kelley handling place kicks. His holder was Clayton Crile, the punter.

Since UTC played Samford, Crile went from handling none of the place kicking to all of the place kicking, in addition to punting. It appears Artopoeus then became the holder (I assume Kelley sustained some injury).

Even last week, with Artopoeus allegedly unable to throw a football, he was still in the football game holding kicks. So, even with him unable to play QB, UTC really wanted him out there to hold kicks.

If Artopoeous is a full "no go" Saturday, that will be something interesting to watch in what might be a close game. UTC could end up with a situation where they have now a third different holder in what may be his first game action at the position. Add to that, it is likely to be wet and raining.

ALSO

Since we don't talk holders that often, Furman is pretty unique in their set up. Furman has two different kickers, Lepvreau and Williams. One kicks left-footed, the other right-footed. I believe when Lepvreau is kicking, the holder is punter Ryan Leavy. When Williams kicks, the holder is QB Charles Watson.
 #81552  by Purple rain
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:27 pm
I know our Defense will be ready to go. I feel good about our Offense, getting #6 back is a great thing for the home team. Will be glad to see Dom back as well.
Go Dins!
Choir Boy, FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #81563  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:14 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

If we were gonna have 7 in a stadium that seats 16, does it matter to the Players if we only have 3 or 4?

Not sure how it affected you during your playing days, but FUBeAR ain't studyin' that ish.

At Clemson, backed up in the LOUD endzone, and at JMU (way back when - when they had a fairly small crowd that was oddly silent - like they were watching a movie in a movie theater or something) is the only time FUBeAR ever even thought about crowd size.

Just wanted to know if the cleats were right for the field condition and what other options might be needed/available if not...and when he was a Center, what our ball drying / towel wearing for QB's hands (OG's can tuck 'em too) plan was.

But home field matters. That’s a given (see your stats on UM!) and crowd is part of that. It inspires confidence and momentum imo as a cheering crowd pumps up olayers
 #81564  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:41 pm
gofurman wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:14 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

But home field matters. That’s a given (see your stats on UM!) and crowd is part of that. It inspires confidence and momentum imo as a cheering crowd pumps up olayers
Home field matters

Crowd sizes between the 3k - 7k range in a 16k seat stadium did not matter, incrementally, to FUBeAR as a player and he assumes that it doesn’t/won’t matter, incrementally, to Players today.

A partisan crowd of 15-17k might matter in a 16k seat stadium. Do we think the crowd was gonna be 15k+ if the weather forecast was better? FUBeAR does not.

Rain or a rainy forecast will not favor the visiting Team in Paladin Stadium tomorrow.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #81566  by Choir Boy
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:35 pm
In a small sample size the new UTC QB seems more sccurate than the veteran.,
Every Qb is accurate until they get hit in the mouth. We going to release da dogs on da Chattanooga Cho Cho
Chuckles, FUBeAR liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.