• VMI - 10/22

#58515  by FU3
 Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:44 pm
Other than a mediocre punt game our special teams have been very good this year. Good coaching makes a difference.
dornb liked this
 #58516  by FurmAlum
 Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:51 pm
Seems to me Coach H doesn't care about style points, statistics, or running up the score. I don't think Roberto played at all in the second half. Pretty vanilla play calling except for a couple plays and as posted earlier we did want to throw the ball.

So far this season Coach R has shown he can be a very creative play caller but other than Samford I don't think he has shown anywhere close to what he's got in the playbook.

Next week I bet we will see a lot of stuff we haven't seen yet and we can't afford too many mistakes and penalties.

I think the Paladins will be ready to put it all together.
hypercycloid, din23 liked this
 #58518  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:05 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:51 pm
i would say to make playoffs ,we need to beat either chattanooga or mercer or both.
In my view, we'll need to beat Wofford + UTC or Mercer.

At this point, we've got a top 10 team coming to Paladin Stadium with a chance to go to 7-2.
 #58519  by gman84
 Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:19 pm
Golden opportunity in front of us. I also agree the Mocs will see some new wrinkles from our offense. We better clean up the 11 penalties! That will kill us next week.
AstroDin liked this
 #58531  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:48 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:29 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:23 pm
One of the interesting things this season has been the uncharacteristic penalties for Furman.
Y, radio guys were talking about this. Saying CCH teams haven't usually had this many false starts etc. Those are drive killers

Being fair, the radio guys - I am just joining on TV - said we did fumble on our early drive (Harris?) but got a beneficial call. our guys felt we fumbled.. instead we kept ball and scored 3

But y- the overall seems to be VMI is saying "FU will have to pass to win, we are selling out on stopping the run" - cmon guys, we are playing a FOURTH string freshman QB
VMI's QB doesn't have anything to do with our offensive penalties.

They reviewed the fumble call and overturned it. So, it wasn't a fumble.

We haven't established the run. We're throwing a bunch on first down. Lot of penalties. Just need to get a rhythm offensively.
By that EXACT logic (“results-oriented” logic which has been proven to be a fallacy)… but let’s run with that. By that exact logic we DID NOT intercept Samford in “the play”. We didn’t using your logic. They reviewed our play v Samford and decided it was NOT an interception. I’m good with that. No interception by us on Samford. No fumble here. Or both. Can’t have your cake and eat it too.
 #58532  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:53 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:32 pm
Carson Jones in with the first team OL, though Wyatt Hughes doesn't appear to have returned.
BIG Concern here. One of our best things this year has been health on the thin OL. Missing Jumper hurt at CSU imo. Any word on Hughes? Got hurt on dang 2 yard wildcat play I think
 #58535  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:24 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:53 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:32 pm
Carson Jones in with the first team OL, though Wyatt Hughes doesn't appear to have returned.
BIG Concern here. One of our best things this year has been health on the thin OL. Missing Jumper hurt at CSU imo. Any word on Hughes? Got hurt on dang 2 yard wildcat play I think
GF- I think he is ok going by what Dan and the guys said. He had his helmet on and “looks liie he is going bsck in the game”. Whether he did or not Idon’t know.
 #58538  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:30 am
Hundley, IMO — played very well.
Some of Furman's big second-half runs were from his side.
 #58541  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:25 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:48 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:29 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:23 pm
One of the interesting things this season has been the uncharacteristic penalties for Furman.
Y, radio guys were talking about this. Saying CCH teams haven't usually had this many false starts etc. Those are drive killers

Being fair, the radio guys - I am just joining on TV - said we did fumble on our early drive (Harris?) but got a beneficial call. our guys felt we fumbled.. instead we kept ball and scored 3

But y- the overall seems to be VMI is saying "FU will have to pass to win, we are selling out on stopping the run" - cmon guys, we are playing a FOURTH string freshman QB
VMI's QB doesn't have anything to do with our offensive penalties.

They reviewed the fumble call and overturned it. So, it wasn't a fumble.

We haven't established the run. We're throwing a bunch on first down. Lot of penalties. Just need to get a rhythm offensively.
By that EXACT logic (“results-oriented” logic which has been proven to be a fallacy)… but let’s run with that. By that exact logic we DID NOT intercept Samford in “the play”. We didn’t using your logic. They reviewed our play v Samford and decided it was NOT an interception. I’m good with that. No interception by us on Samford. No fumble here. Or both. Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

It's not "exact logic."

The refs made a call. They reviewed it. They found clear and convincing evidence that the call on the field was wrong.

In the Samford game, the refs made a call. They reviewed it. They found clear and convincing evidence that the call on the field was wrong. They then misinterpreted a series of rules to reverse themselves.

The difference in the two is that in the VMI game, the referees were actually following the rule book. In the Samford game, the referees were completely off trail. In fact, so far off trail that the SoCon did something I've never seen and sanctioned them.

Certainly you can see a difference.
 #58544  by Yadkin
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:35 am
It'd be nice to finally put to bed the whole Samford officials debacle. From the Furman game notes:

Quarter (Clock Time): 2nd, 10:29
Score: Furman leading 10-0
Possession (Down & Distance, Spot): Samford, 1st & 10 at SAM 24
Play: Samford quarterback Michael Hiers attempts pass to Chandler Smith, who is decleated by Furman cornerback Ivan Yates at the SAM 28 the moment the pass reaches Smith. The ball is never possessed by Smith, and loose ball is caught out of the air by Yates.
Result: Side judge approximately eight yards from the play rules the pass a reception by Smith and spots the ball at SAM 28.
Review: Play is reviewed over the course of several minutes and call on the field is reversed. Yates is credited with the interception, and Furman is awarded the football at the SAM 28. Following more lengthy discussion on the field, the review decision is nullified and Samford is awarded the ball at the SAM 28 by rule that a play ending in forward progress can’t be reviewed.

Comment: As stated by Jackal, the officials misinterpreted the rules, which led to the extended delay in play. The referee either resigned or was fired following the game, and the entire crew suspended for one game. The play as called on the field, as bad as it was, was not reviewable.
AstroDin liked this
 #58546  by Davemeister
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:04 am
saltyshaker wrote:
i would say to make playoffs ,we need to beat either chattanooga or mercer or both.

Both. An 8-3 record with one of our wins a DII game, we are "iffy".
 #58550  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:42 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:04 am
saltyshaker wrote:

Both. An 8-3 record with one of our wins a DII game, we are "iffy".
Certainly agree very iffy especially since we would be officially 7-3.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.