• 2022 Football Schedule

#52943  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:13 am
gman84 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:03 am
Club level seats have always been available every year. I had them for many years. The difference now is that season ticket availability is not linked to your Paladin Club/Athletic Donor level of contribution. What is linked to your donor level is your parking preference. I think this a great move!
I know the first year they were sold out but maybe not since then?
 #52971  by gofurman
 Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:29 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:07 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:32 am
We win the conference it doesn't matter who we play OOC!
Sounds good, 60…but not true.

Seeding matters. If we win the SoCon - let’s say we go 7-1 (as ETSU did in 2021) … and we give Clemson a decent game…let’s say it’s a 35-17 loss. OK, we’re 8-2. Now, if we play PC and win (even if the score is 14-13), that gives us a 9-2 record and, most likely…a seed…a bye…a 2nd round home playoff game…all those things matter…don’t they?

But…what if we play D2 National Finalist/Runner-Up, Valdosta State (instead of PC), and beat them 69-0. Know what the Playoff Selection Committee thinks of that? Nothing…absolutely nothing. To them, our record is still 8-2 with no FBS wins and that nagging loss to whichever SoCon beat us….Sorry…not quite worthy of a seed, Paladins…and, sorry, but Richmond outbid you for your 1st round matchup. If you’re able to overcome the Spiders (be good to see Udinski & Herres again, huh?), then you get to go to Fargo to play #1 Seed NDSU in your 2nd round game….which would have been at Furman vs. Davidson (who beat Elon in Rd1)…if only you would have played and beaten D1 PC by 1 point…instead of blowing out D2 Valdosta.

The system sux…but it is what it is…and who we play does matter…way more than it should .
EXACTLE right FUBEAR. Both seeding possible and at-large possibilities! Are heavily influenced by whether you beat the worst FCS vs a better D2 team who could kill the bottom FCS. I hate seeing NGU on here. I bet from Colgate CH tried to get someone else. Hope next year it’s sc state or someone
 #52974  by Paul C
 Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:09 pm
I may be in the minority but I like to see us beat the snot out of other local institutions. Like NGU.

So count me as one of the peeps that likes that decision.
 #52979  by FUBeAR
 Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:32 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:09 pm
I may be in the minority but I like to see us beat the snot out of other local institutions. Like NGU.

So count me as one of the peeps that likes that decision.
As FUBeAR said… 100% agree!

Unfortunately, the NCAA FCS Playoff Selection Committee does not.

Those bastages
 #52989  by The Jackal
 Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:38 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:29 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:07 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:32 am
We win the conference it doesn't matter who we play OOC!
Sounds good, 60…but not true.

Seeding matters. If we win the SoCon - let’s say we go 7-1 (as ETSU did in 2021) … and we give Clemson a decent game…let’s say it’s a 35-17 loss. OK, we’re 8-2. Now, if we play PC and win (even if the score is 14-13), that gives us a 9-2 record and, most likely…a seed…a bye…a 2nd round home playoff game…all those things matter…don’t they?

But…what if we play D2 National Finalist/Runner-Up, Valdosta State (instead of PC), and beat them 69-0. Know what the Playoff Selection Committee thinks of that? Nothing…absolutely nothing. To them, our record is still 8-2 with no FBS wins and that nagging loss to whichever SoCon beat us….Sorry…not quite worthy of a seed, Paladins…and, sorry, but Richmond outbid you for your 1st round matchup. If you’re able to overcome the Spiders (be good to see Udinski & Herres again, huh?), then you get to go to Fargo to play #1 Seed NDSU in your 2nd round game….which would have been at Furman vs. Davidson (who beat Elon in Rd1)…if only you would have played and beaten D1 PC by 1 point…instead of blowing out D2 Valdosta.

The system sux…but it is what it is…and who we play does matter…way more than it should .
EXACTLE right FUBEAR. Both seeding possible and at-large possibilities! Are heavily influenced by whether you beat the worst FCS vs a better D2 team who could kill the bottom FCS. I hate seeing NGU on here. I bet from Colgate CH tried to get someone else. Hope next year it’s sc state or someone

The problem tends to be that EVERYONE wants a shot at the low level/beatable FCS programs. There are only so many of them.
MNORM liked this
 #53000  by apaladin
 Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:43 am
I wonder if NGU will show this game as an exhibition game like they do in basketball.
 #53001  by Flagman
 Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:37 am
I still can’t get over playing NGU on a Thursday. Other than giving us a couple of extra days to prepare for Clemson, there is no advantage. No national tv exposure, fewer out of town fans able to travel because of work the next day, and on and on.
hypercycloid, bj93, QCGlue liked this
 #53002  by FUBeAR
 Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:42 am
Flagman wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:37 am
I still can’t get over playing NGU on a Thursday. Other than giving us a couple of extra days to prepare for Clemson, there is no advantage. No national tv exposure, fewer out of town fans able to travel because of work the next day, and on and on.
FUBeAR has been to a couple of these Thursday night openers at Mercer.

They make it a big deal for the students … kinda the 1st gathering of the year…and the other Teams do meet & greets during tailgate & give away swag promoting their team. Really is a ‘kickoff event’ for the whole Athletics program…and, to some extent, the University’s school year. They probably cancel Friday classes too.

And, I believe they make some ‘play’ to get other locals, who maybe always spend Saturday in Athens or Atlanta, to stay in town, come, and experience a game with the Hometown Team.

Maybe FU intends to treat this Thursday night event similarly.
apaladin, dornb, gman84 liked this
 #53165  by Roundball
 Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:12 pm
Not sure where to post this. It’s a poll about the best season ticket deal in the Upstate. If you get a chance, cast a vote for our Paladins.
 #53166  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:56 pm
Wow Furman way down in last place.

Update- glad they moved up to a solid second.
Last edited by apaladin on Thu May 19, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #53614  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 19, 2022 12:27 pm
Mercer released their Home game Kickoff Times.

Furman @ Mercer on Saturday 11/12 will kickoff at 3 PM…

…the earliest Kickoff of Mercer’s 5 Home games (7 PM, 6 PM, and 2 @ 4 PM are the Bears’ other KO times.)
 #53617  by AllTimeFU
 Thu May 19, 2022 12:40 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

…the earliest Kickoff of Mercer’s 5 Home games (7 PM, 6 PM, and 2 @ 4 PM are the Bears’ other KO times.)
Must be to support travel schedules.
 #53630  by apaladin
 Thu May 19, 2022 7:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

Nothing like being consistent. Lol. I like the FU model of having the same ko time on Saturdays unless TV demands.
 #53632  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 19, 2022 9:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

Nothing like being consistent. Lol. I like the FU model of having the same ko time on Saturdays unless TV demands.
Definitely some strong merit to that approach.

Also, though, since Maconga is the only place on earth hotter than Columbia, SC, it makes some sense to start the early season games at night / late afternoon and then roll it back to earlier in the day as the weather cools a bit.
apaladin liked this