• ETSU - Game Thread

#45145  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:23 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:15 pm
GUTTED. Defense played well. The INT and the snap infraction penalty spelled doom for the Paladins as we just gave them the ball one too many times. Kudos to ETSU as they made adjustments and kept their QB protected in the 2nd half. I hope FU can regroup and find some motivation got the second half of the season as playoffs seem like a long shot now.

the 3 biggest mistakes were the INT - cmon , THROW THAT AWAY if you are on your back foot and take the FG... the snap infraction... AND the pass drop for a TD early in game. Maybe that one catch changes the entire flow of the game.

Still, our O needs to give us more cushion to allow for a few mistakes. You can't expect to play perfect. O has to get 20+ points and 400 yards
 #45147  by El Guapo
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:34 pm
Agreed. The pass drop was huge but that was the only blunder for Miller amidst an otherwise sterling game. There was another big drop by #25 (don’t have the roster sheet) that would have been huge for us. Look the bottom line is that our offense isn’t consistently good enough to beat good teams. The QB situation aside I really think we have some good players. Which leads me to conclude that scheme and perhaps coaching needs to be addressed. Will it though???
bj93, FU69, gofurman liked this
 #45148  by jesse174
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:48 pm
only one mistake cost us the game....the stupid snap infraction...we need a leader on offense...there is no excuse for that mistake...and nobody knows what caused it....but I remember the bad snap that hit the back in motion last season...I beleive it was VMI....that cost us the game so we can figure out who made those mistakes...anyone else have a comment on this???
 #45149  by jesse174
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:50 pm
you look at the tape without knowing what teams were playing...it looks like a poorly played high school game...
 #45150  by FU3
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:56 pm
That was a tough, tough loss. Made just enough mistakes to lose.Thought the D played a very good game except for some really strange soft coverages in 3rd and long.Still don’t think our O scheme matches the talent we have and if that doesn’t change we are going to have to win on our D.Our FR QB really throws well on the move and since he is going to have to learn on the job we really need to put him in a position that fits his strengths.
bj93, furman88 liked this
 #45151  by purplehorse
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:23 pm
A tough loss. We played hard but you are not going to win when you keep the defense on the field that long. The 3rd and 13 and 3rd and 19 first downs were killers as was the dropped TD pass, the 3rd down snap infraction and the interception at the goal line. The rest of the season is now “for fun” so hopefully we can now get better for next year. The D played well overall but again on the field way too long. That game was so winnable. We controlled our own destiny in the conference race and unfortunately came up short. I think JW has great potential at QB.
 #45153  by Sad Din
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 pm
On a positive note... with CU losing today they are guaranteed a bid to the Sasparilla Bowl
apaladin liked this
 #45155  by FU69
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:20 pm
Just as sad to me was the sight of the entire student section seated and chatting while everyone else stood for the alma mater. No class and no promotion of love or loyalty to their university.
 #45156  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:38 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:11 pm
Dont blame the refs... they tried really hard to help Dins
Agree except for the obvious targeting no call.
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #45157  by tim
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:45 pm
So.....on the snap infraction, was that the called play, for the ball to go to the back instead of the qb? Or was it another bad snap that was way off?
 #45158  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:56 pm
One thing that has not been brought up is after the procedure penalty we had 3rd and six and must have first down. A football field is 160 feet wide. Our offensive coaches chose to eliminate 157 feet of said field by throwing to a 3 foot area defended by the sideline. The defense was unnecessay on that play. What a horrible horrible call in that critical situation. The play had zero chance of success.
 #45170  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:15 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:55 pm
Our old nemesis, pass defense.
I mean, we sacked Etsu all afternoon and they had 10 points until seconds left in the game.

Don’t blame the defense.
The defense played great in the firet half(3 points, 93 yds) Not so much the second(14 points 230 yds). Same amount of possessions. After we were up 13-3 the defense seemed to lose its edge. When we went up 10, I said that etsu would waltz down the field on their next possessiin and they did. Lack of killer instinct. Just looked like they relaxed and lost something. Its mental. Of course if they had a little help from the offense it would have been a different game.
 #45175  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:02 am
El Guapo wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:34 pm
Agreed. The pass drop was huge but that was the only blunder for Miller amidst an otherwise sterling game. There was another big drop by #25 (don’t have the roster sheet) that would have been huge for us. Look the bottom line is that our offense isn’t consistently good enough to beat good teams. The QB situation aside I really think we have some good players. Which leads me to conclude that scheme and perhaps coaching needs to be addressed. Will it though???
True. I back off that. Miller has been a GREAT player
 #45176  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:05 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:15 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:55 pm
Our old nemesis, pass defense.
I mean, we sacked Etsu all afternoon and they had 10 points until seconds left in the game.

Don’t blame the defense.
The defense played great in the firet half(3 points, 93 yds) Not so much the second(14 points 230 yds). Same amount of possessions. After we were up 13-3 the defense seemed to lose its edge. When we went up 10, I said that etsu would waltz down the field on their next possessiin and they did. Lack of killer instinct. Just looked like they relaxed and lost something. Its mental. Of course if they had a little help from the offense it would have been a different game.
It’s the O. Not the D. I don’t thing many disagree. However, there is a small trend. Think today and Citadel. Both games the opponent had a better second half than first half. In .first half Citadel had one or two plays. Phenomenal D by us. Phenomenal. In the second half they began to get sustained drives. Same today. Phenomenal first half D. More sustained drives by Etsu in second half

Still , Citadel got 14 and etsu got 17. Please score 20 points offense !!
 #45185  by Sad Din
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:55 am
Agaisnt my own advice watched the 3rd and half yard play again

1. Why do they line up in shotgun when needing that little
2. They had 2 plays to go 1/2 yd. Go for it on 4th down
3. Running game was not that great but they were getting 2 yds consistenly. Why need a trick play?
4. Best back was not on the field. Maybe he wasnt 100%. Personally dont think he was 100% all game
5. Few games ago they had success throwing to RB. I think there might have been 1 throw to Wynn in the game
bj93 liked this