• Wofford Game

#44425  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:40 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:53 am
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:01 pm
Some of those holes are huge. Is the Wofford D line that bad or are we playing well?

It has been a long time since we have beaten Wofford in Sparkle City.
Both. REAL people want the truth. You are neither as good as you think you are when you win or as bad as you think you are when you lose. Yep. The truth lies in the middle. I LOVE LOVE beating the snot out of Woff but they are not good.

Before anyone argues, recall that Jackal - our Paragon of optimism- said as much about Conklin starting to run the Woff program w Ayers players and making it worse incrementally each year. That has now come to fruition. Jackal is about as positive as it gets and he too is saying they aren’t what they were ..Conklin is ruining them. Good. I’m glad that Woff stinks. They are an 0-3 SoCon team that is 1-4.

They will finish no better than 2-6 in SoCon imho. They do still have a few game breakers on Ô BUT the OL AND DL stink

So,we played well but they are not very good. We will know more after the next two weeks. Great win and game plan today !!!

Wofford lost at ETSU by 6. They were within 5 of VMI in the 4th. They beat an Elon team that isn't terrible in the CAA.

No, this isn't the Wofford team of 5 years ago, but Furman physically whipped them yesterday.
Davemeister liked this
 #44427  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:49 am
Here is the problem—our digital world empowers us to pretty much say anything we want to. We bash people, we call people out, and most of those who do this have a sense of anonymity. I'm a member of several uber-fan forums Disney Vacation Club and Cruises, and the 6g Bronco forum to name a couple. I witness that in all of them.

We enjoy tremendous freedom as Americans in the digital worlds we passionately participate in. That said hubs like this one - well - they're a community. I'll be frank we're not the community we once were. There was a time that we had a bowling tournament us against the coaches. There were many other posters that have grown tired of the negativity and they gave up and left.

I have no idea how the coaches and players feel about the current state of this forum, but I doubt they like it when a fan states they're not impressed with a committed player's HS program. Our words do have consequences.

I'm also glad to see some of us calling out all the I have my right to rant and attack players and coaches trolling. Yep, in my opinion, it's trolling. None of us were happy with the way our team played against Mercer.

I hope some lessons are learned here, and I'm glad we're not giving our fellow community members a free pass to rant without some consequences.

—GC
hypercycloid, gman84, FUBeAR liked this
 #44433  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:46 am
For those pining for the I Formation of old.

That's essentially what this is. Only real difference is the QB isn't under center and the fullback is in a two point stance.

FUBeAR liked this
 #44435  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:57 am
I watched this one a few times. Really like what Furman is doing here. I do not believe I've really seen Furman run this play, but we scored two touchdowns on it inside the red zone against Wofford.

From an option scheme perspective, this is a little unique, but I love it.

Furman brings Shiflett into the backfield. Off the snap, Wilson reads the end man on the line. He attacks the fullback and Wilson pulls it. Abrams knows that the end man is not his blocking assignment, so he sort of gives him the "ole" and moves to the linebacker.

Tomlin is moving like a bull to the outside. A bit rare to see an OT pull straight down the line like that.

Abrams gets on the linebacker and leaves Wilson to read the safety. The safety attacks Shiflett and so Wilson cuts up for the touchdown. I presume that if the safety had attacked Wilson, he would have pitched it and had Tomlin leading the way (though I'm pretty sure they ran a similar play with Delcua where Wilson pitched it for the score).

Hard to defend this.

#44436  by Davemeister
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:01 am
Our team took a punch in the mouth today, but all it did was make them angry. They fought back and rubbed Woffy's nose in the dirt.

We play another pack of dogs on Saturday and our guys should give them the same treatment.
AstroDin, FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #44439  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:15 am
^^^ not sure why Annoor was playing kinda like a punk yesterday. The announcers made some weird comments about two Annors playing for Wofford and the older Annoor who played at Furman sat on the Wofford side. Who cares. I say this because Annooor did make a couple of plays yesterday and was pretty demonstrative - I also think he got smacked on his tail a few times by Wynn.

It's worth watching Jace after the play—Annoor has a hissy-fit - Shiflett steps in and starts to respond. Jace seeing this comes back in separates the Furman player and acts like - he's not worth it. Let's go!

I rewatched the game on replay - the more I watch the more impressive is Jace'sleadership skills.
furmandad, apaladin liked this
 #44440  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:23 am
We have a ways to go this season - but - one action might come back to play a big role for the season. After D Abrams punched a pass out of his own hands that would have been a sure touchdown. Jace runs over to him goes helmet to helmet and says that's ok, we got this! That was a big moment.
Last edited by AstroDin on Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #44442  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:32 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:46 am
For those pining for the I Formation of old.

That's essentially what this is. Only real difference is the QB isn't under center and the fullback is in a two point stance.

Yes…the OLD Paladins would have called this something like “Pistol North Pro Flex B 46 Power.”

“Pistol” - QB not under center, but in front of 1 or more RB’s. We never didn’t have QB under Center. That woulda been reckless…in those days.
“North” - strong right
“Pro” - weak side End is split out
“Flex” - Actually “Flex” in those days meant the TE would take a 2x normal split, but in this case, the ‘Dins have moved the Flanker on the LOS & the TE off the line, so FUBeAR historically appropriated “Flex” for this set.
“B” - FB is offset to the strong side. “A” would offset the TB strong. Pretty sure we had an offset A & B weak, but don’t remember the “calls” for that
“46” - 4 is the “series” - not the ball carrier, as it is in some O’s. Never really knew what “series” meant, but didn’t really seem to matter. 6 is the ‘hole’ - even numbers to the right, 6 is C gap / off OT
“Power” is the blocking scheme - BUT this is not a Power Scheme, because the b/s OG is not pulling for the p/s LB. This is an ISO scheme where the FB blocks that LB, BUT the OLD Paladins called it “Power” instead of ISO for some anomalous reason, so FUBeAR rolled with it. We didn’t really run a Power scheme, which sorta baffles me cuz it’s an awesome scheme and would have fit what we did perfectly.

NOTE: We didn’t really run “46 Power.” It would have been “42 Power” with the FB ISO’ing on an Inside LB, but thought y’all might appreciate some FUN Football jargon-ism on the GLORIOUS VICTORIOUS Sunday morning. Next game, maybe the Dins will go really old school and run 2 TE’s Toss Sweep on the Goal Line for a TD. We can really break that one down since we ALWAYS ran it, pretty much every play, inside the 10 yard line…with GREAT SUCCESS.
 #44444  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:47 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:57 am
I watched this one a few times. Really like what Furman is doing here. I do not believe I've really seen Furman run this play, but we scored two touchdowns on it inside the red zone against Wofford.

From an option scheme perspective, this is a little unique, but I love it.

Furman brings Shiflett into the backfield. Off the snap, Wilson reads the end man on the line. He attacks the fullback and Wilson pulls it. Abrams knows that the end man is not his blocking assignment, so he sort of gives him the "ole" and moves to the linebacker.

Tomlin is moving like a bull to the outside. A bit rare to see an OT pull straight down the line like that.

Abrams gets on the linebacker and leaves Wilson to read the safety. The safety attacks Shiflett and so Wilson cuts up for the touchdown. I presume that if the safety had attacked Wilson, he would have pitched it and had Tomlin leading the way (though I'm pretty sure they ran a similar play with Delcua where Wilson pitched it for the score).

Hard to defend this.

Shoulda pitched to #12, but he’s a rook. He’ll pitch that next week. And, prolly won’t extend the ball either. Can’t be mad about 6 points though. Take those 6 points all day, ery day!
 #44449  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:49 am
AstroDin wrote:
^^^ not sure why Annoor was playing kinda like a punk yesterday. The announcers made some weird comments about two Annors playing for Wofford and the older Annoor who played at Furman sat on the Wofford side. Who cares. I say this because Annooor did make a couple of plays yesterday and was pretty demonstrative - I also think he got smacked on his tail a few times by Wynn.

It's worth watching Jace after the play—Annoor has a hissy-fit - Shiflett steps in and starts to respond. Jace seeing this comes back in separates the Furman player and acts like - he's not worth it. Let's go!

I rewatched the game on replay - the more I watch the more impressive is Jace'sleadership skills.

The Wofford announcers were falling over themselves to make it sound like Furman was 0-8 and this game was being played just for pride.

As the game moved on, they seemed to realize that Furman was the superior side.
 #44454  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:58 pm
AstroDin wrote:

I don’t think the Anoor comment is ‘weird’ at all. When siblings play for opposing teams they often ask who mama is pulling for etc (Bowden bowl “you pulling for your son or husband?” etc). That’s Very very common. It’s a sidebar to speak to during color commentary. Nothing more.

Now punk behavior is different
 #44455  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:40 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:53 am
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:01 pm
Some of those holes are huge. Is the Wofford D line that bad or are we playing well?

It has been a long time since we have beaten Wofford in Sparkle City.
Both. REAL people want the truth. You are neither as good as you think you are when you win or as bad as you think you are when you lose. Yep. The truth lies in the middle. I LOVE LOVE beating the snot out of Woff but they are not good.

Before anyone argues, recall that Jackal - our Paragon of optimism- said as much about Conklin starting to run the Woff program w Ayers players and making it worse incrementally each year. That has now come to fruition. Jackal is about as positive as it gets and he too is saying they aren’t what they were ..Conklin is ruining them. Good. I’m glad that Woff stinks. They are an 0-3 SoCon team that is 1-4.

They will finish no better than 2-6 in SoCon imho. They do still have a few game breakers on Ô BUT the OL AND DL stink

So,we played well but they are not very good. We will know more after the next two weeks. Great win and game plan today !!!

Wofford lost at ETSU by 6. They were within 5 of VMI in the 4th. They beat an Elon team that isn't terrible in the CAA.

No, this isn't the Wofford team of 5 years ago, but Furman physically whipped them yesterday.
Jackal, true but I could see them o a downward trajectory In progress. Kind of like our spring. Let’s see how Woff does the rest of the year.
I predict two SoCon wins which is a Bad team. Also, points or no ETSU doubled wofford in yardage much like us. Woff is getting smacked and staying in games w a couple big plays (like vs us). It’s not sustainable
furmandad liked this
 #44459  by Ltcfitz
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:34 pm
I've been lurking on the board for a while, and enjoy learning what others are thinking about the team. Though only about a 100 miles from Greenville, there is zilch for a Paladin community here.

The Wilson start yesterday certainly appears to have been a great move. Seems he is a reasonably good passer, and brings a run threat that must be respected to the QB position. This combination eliminates the defensive hyper focus on Wynn (or his compatriots) as the sole on-the-ground threat, while also requiring the D to respect the QBs legs even when we are showing pass.

It will be interesting to see how Wilson plays against stronger opponents. True freshman - likely needs some more game time to elevate his already considerable skills. Easier to be patient when it seems there is a path to victory!

One more thing - wonder if you have seen it. I felt like the team was more disciplined at Wofford than at home vs. Mercer. Penalties were fewer, but also it seemed as if the guys had their heads much more in the game this week.

Oh - and the Wofford commentators made this point with which I agree: gotta feel great for Quarles. I wonder if he was able to open up the play book...or no?
furmandad, dornb, din23 liked this
 #44460  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:36 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:31 pm
@gofurman
🥱
@Astrodin. So AT BEST - and this is according to you!! , we have taken phenom/ Uber recruiting and have a .500 record (6-6) through spring and fall ? That’s what our coaches do with arguably the “top 5” recruiting in nation??

That’s an indictment of our coaches … that’s why I hesitate to be too impressed w HUDL tapes. You rarely see the bad plays on there :D

——
What’s more is that this board was right more than the coaches in some places. It ain’t rocket surgery. Jackal said fit the system to the players strengths not the other way around. FINALLY yesterday we did that w a QB who fits that. Why does it them 10+ games to either change to a system that fits Sisson or do something different ? FUBeAR or some here noted that Running the option w no real ‘option’ was crazy and too easy to defend. Basically yesterday the coaches did more of what this board called for. And it worked. Sometimes it just ain’t that complicated.
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.