• 2022 Commitments

#47215  by Affirm
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:30 am
FWIW, a lot of our coaches started following Derek Kyler, QB from Ivy League Champ Darmouth, on twitter. He announced an intent to grad transfer on Dec. 1.

Kyler threw for nearly 2000 yards with a 70% completion percentage and 17 TDs against 1 Int.

May mean something. May mean nothing. Usually odd when a starting QB at a school we never play is followed by a lot of our coaches.
I like the idea of a Dartmouth grad attending graduate school at Furman and playing football for Furman. Our coaches are working very hard to make our program the best.
Last edited by Affirm on Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #47216  by FU3
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:25 am
I highly doubt that almost all our coaching staff would begin following a player on Twitter if there wasn’t some mutual interest.
 #47217  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:51 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:30 am
FWIW, a lot of our coaches started following Derek Kyler, QB from Ivy League Champ Darmouth, on twitter. He announced an intent to grad transfer on Dec. 1.

Kyler threw for nearly 2000 yards with a 70% completion percentage and 17 TDs against 1 Int.

May mean something. May mean nothing. Usually odd when a starting QB at a school we never play is followed by a lot of our coaches.
I very highly doubt a Dartmouth grad would choose to attend grad school at Furman. Our coaches are wasting their time to follow this player. My opinion.

Astro has taken this to a science, but it's not uncommon for our younger position coaches and recruiting coordinator to follow a lot of players in the casting of a wide net. There are a ton of high school kids followed by one coach.

When you see half a dozen Furman coaches following one kid, especially a transfer student, that typically indicates there's serious interest between the two sides.
AstroDin, gman84 liked this
 #47218  by Furmanoid
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:29 am
If he comes to FU it will be interesting to see what graduate work he pursues. He’s a government major who wants to do finance. I guess they’ll cobble together some sort of independent study for him.

Ivy people go all over for grad school. Not sure most would want to go anywhere too hard. Dartmouth has been in goof off mode since Covid started. I know a girl there who hasn’t actually spent much time there since Freshman year. Sounds like she just signs up for classes and they send her grades. But it’s OK because they are so superior that they don’t actually have to learn anything.
 #47219  by AstroDin
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:38 am
^^^ I have a lot of respect for Buddy Teevens at Dartmouth.
I've kept an eye on him since he became the head coach in 2005.
I always thought if Furman went out of the family Teevens would be worth a look.
At 65 I'm guessing he'll wrap his career there.
BTW… Furman and Dartmouth butt heads recruiting quite a bit.

Not sure which schools were in the final mix for Jayquan Smith.
Smith had 13 offers from Richmond to SIU and several FBS schools.
My gut tells me it came down to Furman and Yale.
 #47223  by Furmanoid
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:18 am
Didn’t Dartmouth do something crazy like eliminating all contact in practice? I think I heard that the coach decided to try and drastically reduce injuries, and it worked. We only ever hear about pretty bad injuries but lots of guys are probably feeling kinda beat up every Saturday. So if you show up with everybody feeling great, I see how that might work.
 #47224  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:18 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:18 am
Didn’t Dartmouth do something crazy like eliminating all contact in practice? I think I heard that the coach decided to try and drastically reduce injuries, and it worked. We only ever hear about pretty bad injuries but lots of guys are probably feeling kinda beat up every Saturday. So if you show up with everybody feeling great, I see how that might work.

Not sure it's "crazy," but it was certainly thinking outside the box.

They do all the drills, they just don't tackle one another. They tackle dummies, rolling balls, bring guys down to a mat, that sort of thing. It is sort of dumb that so many players are injured in practices against their own teammates and not against the opponents. There's also plenty of evidence that many football long term head injuries are the results of prolonged long term volume of hits (practice) as opposed to any single series of hits in a game.

I'm pretty sure that since Dartmouth instituted that practice philosophy (2018?) they've finished with 8+ wins every season and two conference titles.
Rokawaylifer liked this
 #47231  by youwouldno
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:37 pm
While one can't read too much into every twitter follow, a quick scan shows that Furman coaches are following a wide range of potential transfers . . . FBS, FCS, Juco, grad transfers, regular transfers, etc., basically across the country, offense and defense, even some kickers I think.

Maybe the staff has been granted more leniency when it comes to taking transfers?
 #47232  by Furmanoid
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:52 pm
Did we have a policy against transfers or was their just coach speak to that effect? Our maybe most dependable basketball player is a transfer. I think coming up with a good approach to portal usage may be the key to success going forward.
 #47233  by youwouldno
 Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:57 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:52 pm
Did we have a policy against transfers or was their just coach speak to that effect? Our maybe most dependable basketball player is a transfer. I think coming up with a good approach to portal usage may be the key to success going forward.

Well Furman programs have always taken transfers to a limited extent - but it has been intimated by JD, CCH/other coaches, posters here, etc. that it's difficult to admit transfers compared to other SoCon programs, even accounting for Furman's typical academic standards.

It was a topic that JD spent some time discussing on his most recent interview with Dan, several weeks back. He didn't actually declare that anything had changed, but he did suggest that steps should be taken by the University to help even the playing field, to the extent possible.
Davemeister, FU69 liked this
 #47304  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:55 am
Obi Olawole and the Buford Wolves (we have a bunch of Buford players) are moving on to the state title game (again).

Olawole had 1 catch for 35 yards and a rush for 9. https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sport ... c6a07.html

He was Buford's second leading receiver last night. It should be noted that Buford's offense has a number of guys with major P5 offers.

Honestly, Olawole is one guy I'm really hoping is in the barn during early signing day. He and Josh Harris could be a terrifying WR tandem over the next few years.
AstroDin liked this
 #47576  by rudyscribe
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:37 pm
Olawole caught a long TD pass to tie the score and the PAT gave Buford a 21-20 lead with 2:55 left in Georgia Class 6A state finals. Langston Hughes High drove inside the 20, but missed a late FGA and Buford held on to win. Olawole couldn't hold on to a potential TD pass in the first half.
 #47585  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:12 am
rudyscribe wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:37 pm
Olawole caught a long TD pass to tie the score and the PAT gave Buford a 21-20 lead with 2:55 left in Georgia Class 6A state finals. Langston Hughes High drove inside the 20, but missed a late FGA and Buford held on to win. Olawole couldn't hold on to a potential TD pass in the first half.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by RaleighDin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:30 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.