• How do we fill our 16,000 seat Paladin stadium? Which Home Schedule is more appealing?

#40703  by greenvegas
 Sun May 16, 2021 7:13 am
Start new traditions. For example: when a Furman football victory is eminent (and not even a Joe Pisarcik fumble can screw things up) or at other times during the game, have them play on the loudspeaker the central guitar riff of The White Stripes' song Seven Nation Army and encourage the fans to sing along over and over until it's almost hypnotic. This is how memories are made. The band would be the first to sing along with the guitar riff on the loudspeaker as they are a centralized group that fans would hear and then the fans would sing along with the band members voices and the guitar riff on the loudspeaker. This song has been sung in sports venues and soccer stadiums all over the world and was played at the world cup in Russia when the soccer teams would enter. Can somebody post the original music video from youtube?
 #40704  by Furmanoid
 Sun May 16, 2021 8:46 am
affirm wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:47 pm
ED would never allow the CLP idea or the use of McAlister.
If that is true, it is an argument in her favor.
Good for her.
I’m truly curious as to your reasoning. CLP’s are used to encourage people to go to events they would otherwise skip. These events round the students by exposing them to aspects of culture that it would be good for them to know about. I don’t see how exposure to chamber music or a radical speaker or Tibetan throat singing is more beneficial than exposure to football. Football is a HUGE part of our culture, and if we graduate a cadre of people who never even went to game, our guys are gonna start getting black balled for not being “good fits” at a lot of places. The fun guy with the 2.5 from USC will get the job instead.

And a course or two could get down in the weeds of offenses, defenses, rules, equipment, personnel, etc. This course would benefit:
-communications majors going into broadcasting
-business majors who aim to work in the massive business that is football
-education majors who will someday be administrators hiring football coaches and AD’s.
-future lawyers who will one day represent athletes, coaches, schools etc.

It wouldn’t destroy the school to have a few courses in practical stuff, would it?
FUBeAR, bj93, gman84 liked this
 #40705  by Affirm
 Sun May 16, 2021 1:30 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:46 am
affirm wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:47 pm
ED would never allow the CLP idea or the use of McAlister.
If that is true, it is an argument in her favor.
Good for her.
I’m truly curious as to your reasoning. CLP’s are used to encourage people to go to events they would otherwise skip. These events round the students by exposing them to aspects of culture that it would be good for them to know about. I don’t see how exposure to chamber music or a radical speaker or Tibetan throat singing is more beneficial than exposure to football. Football is a HUGE part of our culture, and if we graduate a cadre of people who never even went to game, our guys are gonna start getting black balled for not being “good fits” at a lot of places. The fun guy with the 2.5 from USC will get the job instead.

And a course or two could get down in the weeds of offenses, defenses, rules, equipment, personnel, etc. This course would benefit:
-communications majors going into broadcasting
-business majors who aim to work in the massive business that is football
-education majors who will someday be administrators hiring football coaches and AD’s.
-future lawyers who will one day represent athletes, coaches, schools etc.

It wouldn’t destroy the school to have a few courses in practical stuff, would it?
Football is ubiquitous in American society, life, media, etc, Students will have had excessive opportunities for exposure to it before they get to Furman; and such opportunities will continue to be readily available while they are at Furman AND afterwards. CLP, I would think, should be for things like art, art history, sculpture, theater, classical music, ballet, opera, outstanding authors, foreign travel, US travel to important historical places, foreign languages, religions, other important points of view besides those commonly encountered locally, historical architecture, and so forth.
 #40711  by Furmanoid
 Sun May 16, 2021 3:24 pm
It’s a new day. I’m telling you man, the nowadays Furman kinda kid is probably not going to his HS games like a good American (if his prep school even has football). Sure FB is available on TV, but so are all those things you listed as CLP appropriate. Most of those things you listed are just as available as college football for in person viewing. I can drive 5 minutes and get symphony, ballet etc, but the closest college game is about an hour and a half away.

I will admit though that FU probably offers the only opportunity anywhere to see that snake handling movie which was truly great. That was a good CLP.
Davemeister liked this
 #40717  by Affirm
 Sun May 16, 2021 7:15 pm
One can obtain some good information about Furman athletics in UFFP. However, one must weed through a lot of silliness in order to get the good information. Some of the silliness is amusing. A lot of the silliness is not very amusing or not amusing at all, but perhaps that is a way to find out more about some of the individuals who are interested in Furman athletics.
 #40718  by FUBeAR
 Sun May 16, 2021 7:25 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
It’s a new day. I’m telling you man, the nowadays Furman kinda kid is probably not going to his HS games like a good American (if his prep school even has football). Sure FB is available on TV, but so are all those things you listed as CLP appropriate. Most of those things you listed are just as available as college football for in person viewing. I can drive 5 minutes and get symphony, ballet etc, but the closest college game is about an hour and a half away.

I will admit though that FU probably offers the only opportunity anywhere to see that snake handling movie which was truly great. That was a good CLP.
Dang - I missed the snake handling movie. Woulda gone to that one. Though, as I believe I have previously chronicled in this venue, I have attended a live performance of such. Perhaps, I can apply for post-graduate, retroactive CLP credit for that event.

Anyway…besides attending FU Orchestra performances (only cuz I was dating the 1st Chair Violin), I remember exactly 1 CLP event I attended. Robert Moog, the inventor of the Moog Synthesizer, was the speaker. I was looking forward to it. Thought it would be really interesting.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ…again.

With everything available on the interwebs now, non-participatory CLP’s are an anachronism. Do they still have them as a requirement at FU?
 #40719  by Affirm
 Sun May 16, 2021 7:50 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

Dang - I missed the snake handling movie. Woulda gone to that one. Though, as I believe I have previously chronicled in this venue, I have attended a live performance of such. Perhaps, I can apply for post-graduate, retroactive CLP credit for that event.

Anyway…besides attending FU Orchestra performances (only cuz I was dating the 1st Chair Violin), I remember exactly 1 CLP event I attended. Robert Moog, the inventor of the Moog Synthesizer, was the speaker. I was looking forward to it. Thought it would be really interesting.

With everything available on the interwebs now, non-participatory CLP’s are an anachronism. Do they still have them as a requirement at FU?
Some would say football is an anachronism for a school like Furman. In fact, it seems that a majority of Furman students ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ...through it, or rarely attend if at all. And that is no loss to those students’ college educations.
 #40797  by DoomedDin1127
 Wed May 19, 2021 10:43 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

Yup! They are still required. In order to graduate, students need to attend 32 CLPs. During covid, they were held on Zoom.
 #40798  by FUBeAR
 Wed May 19, 2021 11:27 pm
DoomedDin1127 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

Yup! They are still required. In order to graduate, students need to attend 32 CLPs. During covid, they were held on Zoom.
FUBeAR earned many (actually, most) of his CLP Credits via distance-learning also. #AheadOfMyTime
 #40807  by cavedweller2
 Thu May 20, 2021 10:33 am
DoomedDin1127 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

32? We had to get 48. Furman getting soft.
FUBeAR, gman84, Davemeister and 2 others liked this
 #40812  by gman84
 Thu May 20, 2021 12:28 pm
Most definitely softer than our day. Therapy animals galore. No disrespect intended to the animals or the individuals who truly require a service animal. Speaking of the snake handling clp. I was on a bike ride up old highway 25 to Saluda NC two weeks ago and we stopped to fix a flat. A guy stops his truck to ask if we needed help....turns out he was looking for copper heads and timber rattlers for his church. No joke!
FUBeAR liked this
 #40813  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 20, 2021 12:54 pm
gman84 wrote:
Most definitely softer than our day. Therapy animals galore. No disrespect intended to the animals or the individuals who truly require a service animal. Speaking of the snake handling clp. I was on a bike ride up old highway 25 to Saluda NC two weeks ago and we stopped to fix a flat. A guy stops his truck to ask if we needed help....turns out he was looking for copper heads and timber rattlers for his church. No joke!
Submit that interaction for your retroactive CLP Credit!

FUBeAR has submitted his attendance at one of the services of that ilk of church, and has sought multiple retroactive credits for the almost 2 years I lived in the greater Los Angeles area in the late 80’s and my job required me to be in such culturally-expanding areas as Compton & East LA late nights & early mornings during the height of the “Crack Era.”

Now…those, my friends, were NOT “soft” CLP Credits to obtain…
 #40837  by Stumpy
 Fri May 21, 2021 11:25 am
gman84 wrote:
And HE asked if YOU needed help?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.