The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:33 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:29 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:24 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:17 pm
Sad to say it, but we got beat by a much better football team. Their O line blocking was exceptional against us. Overall, we could not compete with their team speed. We look like we're in slow motion on D against their O.

Coaching did not help today. Probably worst play calling I've seen this year. Our D also seemed unprepared for their Option O - that's on our D coordinator. We had the same problem with Citadel.
They were better today.

It's a disappointing effort. Our coaching staff has done a lot of good things during their tenure, so let's not overreact.

At the end of the day, they can't throw the ball or catch it.

At times this season we look like a team that has a bunch of freshmen in key positions. Turns out that's what we are.
Correct, coaches can't play, but veteran LB's should know how to play the option. Too many times where they took the wrong player. And when you're on the 3 yd line and can't get it in on 4 downs, that's on bad playcalling, not the players. You have to put your players in a position to win - there was little of that today. Find your opponent weaknesses and execute.
I get it.

Teams are running the same play book against us. They loading the box, blitzing late against the play action, and forcing our freshman QBs to make throws. Some teams have the athletes to pull that off, some don't. We crush the teams that don't.
Which goes back to we have a KR in Bell make a nice return late in the game, but we don't see his speed utilized at the WR position all day. That's the type of speed/quickness that can create separation from DB's and help out your young QBs.
I don't make those decisions.

Bell plays the same position Thomas Gordon does. I don't see a good reason to take Gordon off the field.

Speedy receivers isn't our problem. Hitting open backs and receivers is our problem. Why would we throw deep balls when we can't complete short throws?
 #20588  by Paladin91
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:47 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:40 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:33 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:29 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:24 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:17 pm
Sad to say it, but we got beat by a much better football team. Their O line blocking was exceptional against us. Overall, we could not compete with their team speed. We look like we're in slow motion on D against their O.

Coaching did not help today. Probably worst play calling I've seen this year. Our D also seemed unprepared for their Option O - that's on our D coordinator. We had the same problem with Citadel.
They were better today.

It's a disappointing effort. Our coaching staff has done a lot of good things during their tenure, so let's not overreact.

At the end of the day, they can't throw the ball or catch it.

At times this season we look like a team that has a bunch of freshmen in key positions. Turns out that's what we are.
Correct, coaches can't play, but veteran LB's should know how to play the option. Too many times where they took the wrong player. And when you're on the 3 yd line and can't get it in on 4 downs, that's on bad playcalling, not the players. You have to put your players in a position to win - there was little of that today. Find your opponent weaknesses and execute.
I get it.

Teams are running the same play book against us. They loading the box, blitzing late against the play action, and forcing our freshman QBs to make throws. Some teams have the athletes to pull that off, some don't. We crush the teams that don't.
Which goes back to we have a KR in Bell make a nice return late in the game, but we don't see his speed utilized at the WR position all day. That's the type of speed/quickness that can create separation from DB's and help out your young QBs.
I don't make those decisions.

Bell plays the same position Thomas Gordon does. I don't see a good reason to take Gordon off the field.

Speedy receivers isn't our problem. Hitting open backs and receivers is our problem. Why would we throw deep balls when we can't complete short throws?
No reason Bell can't play Deluca's position. And if incapable, that's again on the coaching staff. You put your best players on the field. It's much easier to hit players when they're actually open. We threw long balls earlier this season against comparable or better competition.
 #20590  by FUpaladin08
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:52 pm
I’m going to try and bypass grumbling and hope the coaches have learned their lesson after the Citadel and Wofford games. I guarantee they feel worse about this than we do. We have...left some doubt. Exactly what we didn’t want to do. We are not going to win any playoff games without some more creativity on offense when the game plan falls apart. We didn’t show any ability to adapt the game plan or play to our strengths of outside running and passing to RBs. If we believe in this coaching staff we have to believe they will right the ship.
dornb, fufanatic liked this
 #20592  by Paladin91
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:54 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
I’m going to try and bypass grumbling and hope the coaches have learned their lesson after the Citadel and Wofford games. I guarantee they feel worse about this than we do. We have...left some doubt. Exactly what we didn’t want to do. We are not going to win any playoff games without some more creativity on offense when the game plan falls apart. We didn’t show any ability to adapt the game plan or play to our strengths of outside running and passing to RBs. If we believe in this coaching staff we have to believe they will right the ship.
Agree with you, but I don't see us making the playoffs. With a Citadel win against Wofford, FU will be prepping for next season.
 #20593  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:57 pm
CCH said we had no energy today? Why? He is correct, we had no energy or sense of urgency. We played in slow motion just like Citadel. Why did we take so much time getting plays off and have not done that all year. Even at the end with the clock running down we were taking 20-25 seconds to get a play off. If you had told me before the game that WC would score only 24 I would have thought we had a chance, not lose by 3 scores. I will say when we scored early the thought went thru my head that I hope this not the only score, LOL.
 #20595  by Paladin91
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:01 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:57 pm
CCH said we had no energy today? Why? He is correct, we had no energy or sense of urgency. We played in slow motion just like Citadel. Why did we take so much time getting plays off and have not done that all year. Even at the end with the clock running down we were taking 20-25 seconds to get a play off. If you had told me before the game that WC would score only 24 I would have thought we had a chance, not lose by 3 scores. I will say when we scored early the thought went thru my head that I hope this not the only score, LOL.
When CCH came to Furman, he said we would play an aggressive, up tempo and often a no huddle offense. Keep in mind that disappeared when Drew Cronic left. Losing Cronic was big for the offense - that CCH was able to get FU as far as he did in Year 1 was mainly due to Cronic.
 #20602  by FurmAlum
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:19 pm
I'm as disappointed we lost today but more disappointed at some of the mean spirited, negative comments from some of our fans. Those players and coaches didn't lose that game on purpose and turning on them when things are bad is BUSH LEAGUE. Some of y'all need to be ashamed of yourselves. Last week you were saying how great our coaching was, and now our DC needs to be replaced and and ex assistant coach is a genius all of a sudden. BS!

As for the playoffs, we're 6-2 in the SoCon with 2 close FBS losses and ranked 9th. We should still be in the top 20 after today and IMHO top 20 deserves a playoff bid.
 #20608  by FUpaladin08
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:29 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:54 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Agree with you, but I don't see us making the playoffs. With a Citadel win against Wofford, FU will be prepping for next season.
Hadn’t planned for this scenario but UTC beating Citadel helps Furman by handing the SoCon to Wofford. Are they the champs now regardless of next week?
 #20610  by Paladin91
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:30 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
I'm as disappointed we lost today but more disappointed at some of the mean spirited, negative comments from some of our fans. Those players and coaches didn't lose that game on purpose and turning on them when things are bad is BUSH LEAGUE. Some of y'all need to be ashamed of yourselves. Last week you were saying how great our coaching was, and now our DC needs to be replaced and and ex assistant coach is a genius all of a sudden. BS!

As for the playoffs, we're 6-2 in the SoCon with 2 close FBS losses and ranked 9th. We should still be in the top 20 after today and IMHO top 20 deserves a playoff bid.
Oh come on, this is a message board. Perhaps you should go to some big boy college football message boards if you think this is too harsh or BUSH LEAGUE. Every student-athlete out there is 18 or older - if they or the coaching staff can't take criticism for a poor performance, then they will have bigger problems in life. Don't be a snowflake!
purplehorse liked this
 #20613  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:36 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:30 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

Oh come on, this is a message board. Perhaps you should go to some big boy college football message boards if you think this is too harsh or BUSH LEAGUE. Every student-athlete out there is 18 or older - if they or the coaching staff can't take criticism for a poor performance, then they will have bigger problems in life. Don't be a snowflake!
Paladin91. MY MAN. this is the time to grow up. Otherwise your working life post-22 is gonna be a brutal introduction to reality. No participation trophies as a D1 athlete. Participation trophies should end about age 8
 #20615  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:42 pm
Furman lost. I went out and threw the ball with my son. Life goes on.

Wofford was picked first in the SoCon for a reason. They are a talented veteran team. They won third down today and made some big plays on the goalline.

Don't read too much into all of this. We're better than we were before Hendrix arrived. We can still get better.
FUpaladin08, dornb, Bootie and 2 others liked this
 #20622  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:42 pm
Furman lost. I went out and threw the ball with my son. Life goes on.

Wofford was picked first in the SoCon for a reason. They are a talented veteran team. They won third down today and made some big plays on the goalline.

Don't read too much into all of this. We're better than we were before Hendrix arrived. We can still get better.
Agree. 100%. Just football. Just one game. You are right. . .

But I saw on AGS people doubted Woff Vs ETSU. then doubted them again and then doubted them vs us .. maybe now we believe? Let’s face it.
THEY OWNED OUR LOS. It’s that simple. They are better

One scary thought is they played without their TWO BEST DL. Mangum and Horton - —both return next year. That’s a fact and scary considering the DL I saw in black and gold today

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.