• ETSU @ #15 Furman Sept. 28th

#17727  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:11 pm
On the Watkins hit, as best I can tell he saw a crease and was hitting the hole hard, he just didn't see the safety, who was screened from view.

Both guys arrived at the same spot at the same time.

#17728  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:13 pm
And this is the sort of execution stuff we just didn't do well.

Not sure what the TEs job is on this one, but you can see an ocean of grass downfield if our back beats one player.

Again, fixable stuff, but you can't allow that guy to force the pitch and make the tackle.

#17729  by JohnW
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:23 pm
This game is not close without the hit on Watkins. Up 10-0 and taking control of the game. I felt bad after the game, but reflecting on our program (and I go back to '69), this is the only Furman team that wins this game since the '04-'05 era. That's 15 frigging years. I don't feel so bad any more.

Now let's blame the QB. Truth is we don't win that game yesterday without Grainger. On that last possession alone after all that's gone wrong and we're one missed tackle from OT, two big 3rd down conversions, the last on a broken play. When it was on the line he delivered.
AstroDin, QCGlue liked this
 #17731  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:13 pm
And this is the sort of execution stuff we just didn't do well.

Not sure what the TEs job is on this one, but you can see an ocean of grass downfield if our back beats one player.

Again, fixable stuff, but you can't allow that guy to force the pitch and make the tackle.

Jackal, right, we blew some stuff for sure. That's the cardinal sin of option right there. Allow one guy on d to make the QB pitch and then easily tackle the TB
 #17735  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:34 pm
Watching the game again - ETSU was taking big shots at Furman - just a guess if/when we play those guys again we will get some cracks at those safeties.

I agree about taking Nasir Player out - I guess we could assume Furman would have. Kudos to Grainger for getting up, and playing through it but I can't help but think that play and Watkins taking a blind hit didn't knock the offense back on its heels a little. What come around goes around.
FUBeAR liked this
 #17737  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:40 pm
JohnW wrote:
This game is not close without the hit on Watkins. Up 10-0 and taking control of the game. I felt bad after the game, but reflecting on our program (and I go back to '69), this is the only Furman team that wins this game since the '04-'05 era. That's 15 frigging years. I don't feel so bad any more.

Now let's blame the QB. Truth is we don't win that game yesterday without Grainger. On that last possession alone after all that's gone wrong and we're one missed tackle from OT, two big 3rd down conversions, the last on a broken play. When it was on the line he delivered.
Great point - Grainger reads the defense goes the other way - almost a naked option takes a hit and still drives for a first down, also he rolls out and fires a bullet to Armstrong. IMO the coaches did the right thing. Grainger, in the end, held tough took everything the Bucs could throw at him and delivered. I don't agree that the right thing would have been to pull him and play Sisson. Not yesterday.
Paladin575, furman88 liked this
 #17739  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:22 pm
JohnW wrote:

Agree, no big blame on qb here - though yes, that one play w INT was a 'have-think-about-the-situation-before-you-hike' thing where you don't even throw unless wide azz open as a FG seals game. But CH said we have to block safeties and our pitch guys were not in right place several times. Football is a TEAM game!
 #17743  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:03 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:52 pm
I don’t care how bad Grainger looks on a single play or a single game. I would think his up-side would make him our qb for a LONG time! He is only going to get better.
agree. what's an interesting side bar - very interesting... is that Graingerand Sisson and Shiflett are all about same age and class! That's an odd scenario for sure. Shiflett may be at WR now (though injured) but w a spring and fall at QB reps could change drastically just like Grainger did. But I can't see Grainger and Shiflett as QB 1 and 2 as I don't see how you don't get those two athletes on the field - just like how they put Shiflett at WR this year. He needs to get on the field when healthy
 #17750  by JohnW
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:36 pm
gofurman wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Agree, no big blame on qb here - though yes, that one play w INT was a 'have-think-about-the-situation-before-you-hike' thing where you don't even throw unless wide azz open as a FG seals game. But CH said we have to block safeties and our pitch guys were not in right place several times. Football is a TEAM game!
Nothing wrong with this comment taken singularly, and the following is not solely directed at you, but...

Ever since this season began, hell it started in fall camp, there has been a marked tendency on this board by some to hold this QB, a R-Fr remember, to a standard I've not seen before. Overly critical to put it mildly. This young man is responsible for roughly half of our offensive TDs this season, a season which has seen us average well over 30 points a game. He performance so far has been outstanding. As CCH says, "I'm glad he plays for us".
AstroDin, Paladin82, dornb and 3 others liked this
 #17753  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:27 pm
JohnW wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:36 pm
gofurman wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Nothing wrong with this comment taken singularly, and the following is not solely directed at you, but...

Ever since this season began, hell it started in fall camp, there has been a marked tendency on this board by some to hold this QB, a R-Fr remember, to a standard I've not seen before. Overly critical to put it mildly. This young man is responsible for roughly half of our offensive TDs this season, a season which has seen us average well over 30 points a game. He performance so far has been outstanding. As CCH says, "I'm glad he plays for us".
Oh, I agree
Horse liked this
 #17755  by FurmAlum
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:51 pm
I agree, no FU team since '04-'05 would have won this game. We gutted out a good win. APSU's win over Jax St makes it even better.

That ETSU defense was the best we've seen including the two FBS games. As evidenced by VPI's performance against Duke.

What we need to do against Samford is run it down their throat with long drives and limit their possessions. Then hit 'em with a pass when they are not expecting it.

I see a Furman victory, but it might not be all that easy. One demon has been exorcised. Now its time for another.
 #17756  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:55 pm
Check out the arm.

Grainger slips, backs up, and makes an off balanced throw at the 42. Deluca catches it at the 11. I think that's about 50 yards and he doesn't even set his feet.

dornb, FUKA61 liked this
 #17758  by Bootie
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:55 pm
Check out the arm.

Grainger slips, backs up, and makes an off balanced throw at the 42. Deluca catches it at the 11. I think that's about 50 yards and he doesn't even set his feet.

We got really lucky there. DG was about to get hammered and appeared to throw up a prayer and DeLuca made a play on the ball. I’ll take it!
 #17760  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:50 am
Why didn't we throw the ball more? 14 attempts is not enough to keep the D honest. I think they were daring us to throw and we didn't. Nothing to combat their rush, no screens, no quick button hook, no QB drawss etc.