The Jackal wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:35 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:51 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:33 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:04 am
CCH keeps building his program - the DINS become regular playoff participants. All is good.

I miss some of the original UFFPers - maybe they will drift back in the future.
We are coming out of a dark period in this program's history. I think Furman football lost a lot of fans over the last 10 years and really never connected with an entire generation of young graduates.

It was almost three years ago, October 1, 2016, that just about did me in with Furman football. At half time against Kennesaw State Furman was losing 49-14 at home (and, frankly, we were lucky it was even that close). That was the nadir of years of uninspired play, weak recruiting, our facilities were to the point of being condemned, rivals leaving the conference, and staring at a very bleak future.

What exactly was the draw of Furman football beyond allegiance to the alma mater?

Perhaps this new era will bring folks back. Small programs have inherent challenges with generating fans - access being paramount. We aren't Monday Night Football.

We are doing a much better job of fan engagement. The product is better. Putting interviews and videos on the web are critical to keeping loyal fans to a small program engaged with what is happening on the ground. Those fans stay invested, they come to the games, they support the Paladin Club.

In my opinion, Furman seemed to operate for a long time like name recognition alone was going to amount to relevance. It won't. College football is saturated with programs. There are peer-like institutions now in the conference were 15-20 years ago, there really weren't any. You've got to have something to sell, and sell it hard.
I agree with everything you said here.

Seem to remember though, a few years back, when a start-up program came out of the gate selling & marketing hard with videos on the web & efforts at fan engagement, you found it ‘somewhat undignified.’

I’m glad to see you (and Furman Football / Athletics) have updated your (their) thinking on the topic.
Oh, I still think what Mercer was doing a few years ago was ridiculous and differs starkly from what Furman does.
Of course you do
 #15509  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:28 pm
We are coming out of a dark period in this program's history. I think Furman football lost a lot of fans over the last 10 years and really never connected with an entire generation of young graduates.

It was almost three years ago, October 1, 2016, that just about did me in with Furman football. At half time against Kennesaw State Furman was losing 49-14 at home (and, frankly, we were lucky it was even that close). That was the nadir of years of uninspired play, weak recruiting, our facilities were to the point of being condemned, rivals leaving the conference, and staring at a very bleak future.

What exactly was the draw of Furman football beyond allegiance to the alma mater?

Perhaps this new era will bring folks back. Small programs have inherent challenges with generating fans - access being paramount. We aren't Monday Night Football.

We are doing a much better job of fan engagement. The product is better. Putting interviews and videos on the web are critical to keeping loyal fans to a small program engaged with what is happening on the ground. Those fans stay invested, they come to the games, they support the Paladin Club.

In my opinion, Furman seemed to operate for a long time like name recognition alone was going to amount to relevance. It won't. College football is saturated with programs. There are peer-like institutions now in the conference were 15-20 years ago, there really weren't any. You've got to have something to sell, and sell it hard.
[/quote] - FROM JACKAL

100% agree with Jackal. I think many were in denial 5-10 years ago. You will notice that was when my posts were more, um, 'angry".. LOL. My posts had a tone because I CARED. I feared that we were trending downward.

I want it to be fun. I want to be positive. But there is nothing wrong with calling it as you see it when it was like it was, especially starting in 2007 and moving forward... Even in 2013 as SoCon champs people now admit it was unsustainable to score that little and win long-term. I love FU Football and just want it to succeed. We were close to falling off the map - in large part IMO because our AD didn't help much AT ALL... It all starts from the top down.
Affirm liked this
 #15515  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:14 am
Recent post from Furman.

Didn't notice this wrinkle last season, but here's a good example of Furman confusing a defense. Furman stays in its 21 personnel (2 WRs, 1 TE, 2 RBs) and has a first down.

Furman goes back to its load option pass, but uses Thomas Gordon, not a RB/TB, as the pitch man. The TB sneaks out of the backfield and is also wide open. Granted, this is pretty terrible defense by VMI.

#15568  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
CCH keeps building his program - the DINS become regular playoff participants. All is good.

Seem to remember though, a few years back, when a start-up program came out of the gate selling & marketing hard with videos on the web & efforts at fan engagement, you found it ‘somewhat undignified.’

I’m glad to see you (and Furman Football / Athletics) have updated your (their) thinking on the topic.
Oh, I still think what Mercer was doing a few years ago was ridiculous and differs starkly from what Furman does.
Like this...
 #15576  by Paladin91
 Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:15 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

Like this...
Mercer - what a joke! :lol:
FUBeAR liked this
 #15598  by AstroDin
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:50 am
^^^ I like the receiver group - I watched Friday's practice - on the QB/WR drills - two QBs throwing at the same time two receivers running routes. There was a window of at least five rotations that every ball was caught. I thought the receivers looked crisp.

I will say, Grainger's arm and accuracy were impressive. I think Sisson is still in the battle but Grainger's arm is exceptional.
 #15608  by JohnW
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:23 pm
Looks like Furman is getting an OL transfer from Air Force. Clark Daniel, 6-3 285 as a recruit, from Upson-Lee HS in Georgia, committed to AF in 2017 and now has Furman football in his Twitter header. Guessing he will show up on the roster once he enrolls in school.
dornb liked this
 #15609  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:44 pm
JohnW wrote:
Looks like Furman is getting an OL transfer from Air Force. Clark Daniel, 6-3 285 as a recruit, from Upson-Lee HS in Georgia, committed to AF in 2017 and now has Furman football in his Twitter header. Guessing he will show up on the roster once he enrolls in school.
Interesting addition.

Looks like he had a lot of interest from SoCon schools during his recruitment. Video certainly shows a quality run blocker that plays with an edge.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/3917311/Clark-Daniel
 #15611  by Jasper
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:44 pm
JohnW wrote:
Interesting addition.

Looks like he had a lot of interest from SoCon schools during his recruitment. Video certainly shows a quality run blocker that plays with an edge.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/3917311/Clark-Daniel
I hear that his family was in the stands at the scrimmage yesterday so I presume he was down on the field with the players. Friend of mine ran into them looking for directions and the mother said that her son was transferring in to FU. The service academy transfers have been good for us.
FUBeAR liked this
 #15612  by FUBeAR
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:45 pm
Nice “pre-recruiting” work by Coach Hendrix...

OFFERS: Samford, The Citadel, Air Force, Western Carolina, Mercer, Florida A&M, Wofford, & Army
 #15651  by JohnW
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:06 pm
DL Devonte Jones is no longer listed on the roster. Big loss.