• Mercer - Sep. 23

#76065  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:46 pm
score prediculations:

I will go with 28-24 for the Furmans. Please win ! The other 3 top teams are ALL on the road... Western, Chatt and Sammy
 #76066  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:47 pm
BearDownMU wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:03 am

It's an interesting question.

Watching the Morehead State game, Mercer frequently used two "stand up" ends (two point stance). Sometimes these are both "defensive ends" and sometimes both are "KATs."

I noticed this a good bit last year, but Mercer appears stylistically to prefer their defensive linemen to come up the field hard. I think they have to sort of play this way because of they go smaller in the defensive backfield at linebacker and a lot of defensive backs on the field. They need to stop teams in their backfield before they get loose in the secondary.

Just my read, but Furman may be able to exploit Mercer some with our four wideout look with inside runs.
Lance Wise finds this post interesting.

I could post half a dozen videos of Furman's offense abusing Mercer's safeties in the open field last season, but I'll refrain.
 #76067  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:55 pm
The Jackal wrote:
BearDownMU wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:03 am

It's an interesting question.

Watching the Morehead State game, Mercer frequently used two "stand up" ends (two point stance). Sometimes these are both "defensive ends" and sometimes both are "KATs."

I noticed this a good bit last year, but Mercer appears stylistically to prefer their defensive linemen to come up the field hard. I think they have to sort of play this way because of they go smaller in the defensive backfield at linebacker and a lot of defensive backs on the field. They need to stop teams in their backfield before they get loose in the secondary.

Just my read, but Furman may be able to exploit Mercer some with our four wideout look with inside runs.
Lance Wise finds this post interesting.
I could post half a dozen videos of Furman's offense abusing Mercer's safeties in the open field last season, but I'll refrain.
Be careful now - you already owe FUBeAR an undisclosed amount for the wager on the "Mercer is abysmal..." claim that you clearly lost.

BearDown just might challenge you to put up or pay up with regard to being able to post 6 or > videos of Furman's Offense abusing Mercer's Safeties in the open field during the 2022 Furman @ Mercer game.

You're already in the hole...credit is expensive these days...just sayin'
 #76068  by BearDownMU
 Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:

You know what we can count on being consistent year over year? Your hospitality. LOL
 #76073  by Paul C
 Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:22 pm
BearDownMU wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

You know what we can count on being consistent year over year? Your hospitality. LOL
If I were an opposing team fan posting on other team message board I’d say Jackal is about as polite and respectful as they come. While I haven’t experienced the hospitality at the Five Star Used Car Lot Stadium I’d suspect it would be similarly respectful.
 #76078  by BearDownMU
 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:34 pm
Paul C wrote:

If I were an opposing team fan posting on other team message board I’d say Jackal is about as polite and respectful as they come. While I haven’t experienced the hospitality at the Five Star Used Car Lot Stadium I’d suspect it would be similarly respectful.
^^^ See, FUBeAR? Told ya...
Last edited by BearDownMU on Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #76079  by FurmAlum
 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:35 pm
If Mercer tries to throw it 35 times, I bet 5 don't happen as the QB is on his ass, and at least 3 of them are to us.

Furman 31
Mercer 10

On the other hand if they have more balance, which I think they will, it might be a little closer.

Furman comes out throwing and then settles into a run it down their throat mode by the second half.
 #76080  by BearDownMU
 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:46 pm
I think CCH should definitely gameplan for Drew Cronic to throw it 35+ times. Dime and quarter all day. ;)
 #76083  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:02 pm
Paul C wrote:
BearDownMU wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

If I were an opposing team fan posting on other team message board I’d say Jackal is about as polite and respectful as they come.
Yes - Jackal is the Sheldon Cooper of TheUFFP
 #76088  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:13 am
Paul C wrote:
BearDownMU wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

gofurman liked this
 #76089  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:16 am
This is one of the most respectful boards I visit.

No injuries and a Furman win - hey, I very much respect Mercer and Cronic... dude can coach, just hopefully not tomorrow