• Whats it gonna be....

#74273  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:33 pm
I hope you hang around 25 more, FU Hoopla. But why will you not say what teams you think would help the SoCon be a multi-bid league, and/or say, not until the end of the entire NCAA basketball season in 2024, what realistic change will occur in order for Furman to be in a multi-bid league that is not the SoCon?
 #74274  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:39 pm
affirm wrote:
I hope you hang around 25 more, FU Hoopla. But why will you not say what teams you think would help the SoCon be a multi-bid and/or say what realistic change will occur in order for Furman to be in a multi-bid league that is not the SoCon?
1) Because I already have created these threads

2) I don't want to bother with it again until after we wreck through dominating the SoCon again OR get screwed over from at-large NCAA/NIT bid

3) Time to enjoy football and basketball for now, come April we will have plenty more data and things to discuss on this matter.........
So personally I am putting on hold to discuss any further until then, that time will come soon enough...........
 #74277  by Sad Din
 Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:39 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
affirm wrote:
I hope you hang around 25 more, FU Hoopla. But why will you not say what teams you think would help the SoCon be a multi-bid and/or say what realistic change will occur in order for Furman to be in a multi-bid league that is not the SoCon?

2) I don't want to bother with it again until after we wreck through dominating the SoCon again OR get screwed over from at-large NCAA/NIT bid

3) Time to enjoy football and basketball for now, come April we will have plenty more data and things to discuss on this matter.........
So personally I am putting on hold to discuss any further until then, that time will come soon enough...........
To be expected... right on schedule. After 2 months of no Dins sports, things tend to get a little chippy
 #74278  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:44 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:39 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
affirm wrote:

To be expected... right on schedule. After 2 months of no Dins sports, things tend to get a little chippy

I see nothing chippy hear to be honest ;)
Sad Din liked this
 #74285  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:09 pm
CORRECTION:
Inadvertently omitted the 3 Arkansas “possibilities” from my post of 8:55 AM today. They are UA-Pine Bluff, UA-Little Rick, and U of Central Arkansas.
 #74287  by FurmAlum
 Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:51 pm
Since Hoop doesn't want to engage in this topic now I will. The only schools in my opinion that you listed that would improve the SoCon ...ie make it a multi bid league would be:

Basketball - College of Charleston, Davidson, Belmont, and maybe Winthrop.

Football - Richmond and William & Mary
 #74295  by paladinfan12
 Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:30 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Since Hoop doesn't want to engage in this topic now I will. The only schools in my opinion that you listed that would improve the SoCon ...ie make it a multi bid league would be:

I like all of these.... minus Winthrop.
 #74303  by Affirm
 Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:30 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

I have no problem with your entire list of nominations.
(However, would expect UR & W&M would insist on bringing along Hampton, Elon, NCA&T, and Campbell, or some combination of those 4, forUR & W&M to agree to move to SoCon for basketball.)
Also … on a slightly different topic or different angle on the topic, I have confirmed, after reviewing my long list of schools, only one school, CofC, was higher rated in NET and Sagarin
 #74304  by youwouldno
 Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:31 pm
The SoCon cannot do anything to make itself a multibid basketball league. Fantastical thinking without any basis in reality.
 #74305  by Affirm
 Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:52 pm
youwouldno wrote:
The SoCon cannot do anything to make itself a multibid basketball league. Fantastical thinking without any basis in reality.
One of the reasons I read and post on the UFFP is to take a break and escape from reality and to observe and sometimes participate in fantastical thinking and commentary. OK?
Even so, youwouldno, I wonder if you are satisfied that Furman is going to be in a non-multibid conference forever; or if you have hope that the situation for Furman will improve, I wonder how you think that may happen. Too fantastical and too unrealistic?
FU Hoopla liked this
 #74306  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:50 pm
youwouldno wrote:

That's why by far the best idea is to form a new league with all the best regional mid-majors (that will provide the opportunity to become a multi-bid league) ;)
 #74315  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:03 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:50 pm
youwouldno wrote:

That's why by far the best idea is to form a new league with all the best regional mid-majors (that will provide the opportunity to become a multi-bid league) ;)
To follow up on FU Hoopla's suggestion about "by far the best idea is to form a new league with all the best regional mid-majors (that will provide the opportunity to become a multi-bid", here are the schools that are (a) located in all the states that have been discussed above (the 6 existing SoCon states plus the 6 states plus DC that are adjacent to the 6 existing SoCon states), and (b) do not play football in an FBS conference, and (c) are not already in the Atlantic-10 Conference, and (d) the highest ranking teams in the NET ratings and Sagarin ratings at the end of the 2022-2023 season:
If someone thinks we could bring in other schools that are not on the following list for this "new league with all the best mid-majors for a multi-bid league", please state who those schools would be.
If someone thinks the following list would be sufficient from which to create "a new league with all the best mid-majors for a multi-bid league", please say so, and please indicate which of the teams and how many what number) of the teams you would include.
The 10 best regional mid-majors (and not tied to an FBS football conference nor the A-10 for basketball) based up most recent NET ratings and Sagarin Ratings:
CofC
FU
UNCG
Belmont
Towson
Samford
UNCW
UNCA
EKU
Lipscomb

2 more additions to make it 12 teams:
Northern Kentucky
Longwood

2 more additions to make 14 teams:
Stetson
Navy

2 more additions to make 16 teams:
Radford
UTC

2 more additions to make 18 teams:
Norfolk State
NCCU

2 more additions to make 20 teams:
Queens
Howard

Have not heard any mention yet of a conference even considering going to more than 20 teams.
But to go above 20, or to substitute for some of the above, here are others for consideration:
The other present SoCon schools, namely Mercer, Wofford, Western Carolina, ETSU, Citadel, VMI, Murray State.
 #74318  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:04 pm
EAST COAST CONFERENCE (ECC)

Furman
Davidson (many of their fans already hate the A10)

UTC
ETSU

Belmont
Murray St.

CofC
UNCW

Liberty
Richmond

VCU
George Mason
 #74321  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:25 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:04 pm
EAST COAST CONFERENCE (ECC)

Furman
Davidson (many of their fans already hate the A10)

UTC
ETSU

Belmont
Murray St.

CofC
UNCW

Liberty
Richmond

VCU
George Mason
Fine.
My next reaction to your list, after Fine, is to ask how is this conference going to pry especially GMU, VCU, Richmond, Liberty, Davidson, and other away from their present conference for basketball, especially if they need to stay in their present conference for all their other sports (A-10 [except Richmond in CAA for Football] and CUSA)?
Then, my next reaction is to ask where will Furman be playing all it's other sports?
Then, after that, I ask - if there is no problem taking GMU and the other A-10 schools you listed, why not go ahead and take George Washington since it is so close to GMU and VCU and Richmond?