• 2023 Pre-season

#73895  by HKB60
 Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:34 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:22 am
Our defensive staff also does a good job of isolating players in matchup problems.

Sochovka, for instance, almost requires two blockers every time he's out there. When paired with another active and physical interior linemen, you force an offense to contribute a lot of capital to stopping the interior push. That leaves guys on the edges to get one-on-one matchups where their speed and physicality can control.

Here, Wofford contributes 6 players to block 4. Sochovka and Coleman suck up 4 of them. That leaves Barton on a less-athletic right tackle and Maier against a TE. Everything contained. Everything constricting. No where to run. No where to throw.

You can drill and scheme all you want as an offense. There's not much coaching can do for what Barton does to Wofford's RT on this play.

Jack Barton will be a beast this year! I am looking forward to many sacks and blocked kicks this season. I just wish he was athletic enough to play the O line like his uncle did at FU!!!
Paul C liked this
 #73896  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:40 am
HKB60 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:34 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:22 am
Our defensive staff also does a good job of isolating players in matchup problems.

Sochovka, for instance, almost requires two blockers every time he's out there. When paired with another active and physical interior linemen, you force an offense to contribute a lot of capital to stopping the interior push. That leaves guys on the edges to get one-on-one matchups where their speed and physicality can control.

Here, Wofford contributes 6 players to block 4. Sochovka and Coleman suck up 4 of them. That leaves Barton on a less-athletic right tackle and Maier against a TE. Everything contained. Everything constricting. No where to run. No where to throw.

You can drill and scheme all you want as an offense. There's not much coaching can do for what Barton does to Wofford's RT on this play.
Jack Barton will be a beast this year! I am looking forward to many sacks and blocked kicks this season. I just wish he was athletic enough to play the O line like his uncle did at FU!!!
Agreed. Barton's uncle definitely played beside at least one tremendous athlete in the Furman OLine!
 #73914  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:03 am
Another pre-season vid, more video clips of Carson Jones (no. 5) slinging it.
Also, more video of the younger receivers making some great catches; 0-Harris, 3-Ferguson, 13-Hughes
dornb liked this
 #73915  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:46 am
A couple of these videos have shown some really impressive catches by Ethan Harris. I suspect he is due for a bigger role in the offense this year.
dornb liked this
 #73916  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:14 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:46 am
A couple of these videos have shown some really impressive catches by Ethan Harris. I suspect he is due for a bigger role in the offense this year.
Speaking of ‘bigger’ roles - Instagram ‘Story’ (video) with 6-7 TE, Mason Pline, making a sweet snag on a deep ball got FUBeAR a little misty

Link to FU Football Insta where you can catch the ‘story’ while it’s still available - https://instagram.com/paladinfootball? ... BiNWFlZA==

No reason our athletic 6-7 / 260 guy can’t be this athletic 6-7 / 260 guy…
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-20 ... eins-bzbz/
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #73917  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:25 am
Furman posted their TE preview: https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2023/8/ ... qzXQrxnQ8I

Suggests Gissinger is a true "in line" TE. So, he'll probably have a similar role to what he did last year.

Also highlights that Pline is going to be used both off the ball and on the ball. So yes, Paladin fans, a 6'7 260 lbs power forward will be lining up at receiver for the offense.
 #73918  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:35 am
I've seen a few clips of Pline running up the seam with long downfield passes landing right in his hands. So, it definitely seems like we're going to see him hitting those downfield routes.

He runs easy and is faster than you would expect for a guy his size.

Honestly, if he can push upfield like that, it's going to open up a lot of options for the offense in both the underneath passing game and running game. He can clear the safeties out of the middle of the field.
dornb liked this
 #73919  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:45 am
Furman is getting a lot of love this season.
That said, could the DINS still be underrated?

I say this because Furman is getting a lot of respect due to its defense and the number of returnees.
This season's offense has the ability to be a juggernaut.
dornb liked this
 #73920  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:11 am
AstroDin wrote:

I say this because Furman is getting a lot of respect due to its defense and the number of returnees.
Absolutely - STATS poll having William & Mary at #4 is insane. There is no logic, beyond CAA love, for W&M to be @ #4. Massey has The Tribe @ #19, for example.

So…take out that example of mental illness and FU is @ #5.

Holy Cross* is also not better than Furman, so FUBeAR would have Furman @ #4…but look for the Paladins to win as NDSU and Montana State stumble, moving Furman up to #2…unless we beat TTU and USC. If Furman beats USC, the Paladins should be immediately moved to #1 regardless of what any of the other Top Teams do. They won’t be undefeated and have beaten a ranked/nearly-ranked SEC Team.

* Unlike the lunacy of W&M @ #4, there is sufficient logic to have Holy Cross ahead of Furman. The Crusaders were undefeated last season, including a G5 FBS win AND they did enough in 3 quarters vs. champion SDSU to earn that type of ranking with many of their best Players returning (8-Off & 6-Def). They aren’t better than Furman, but ranking them as such is justifiable.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #73923  by HB88
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:45 am
While the pre-season love is nice (and novel), I don't sweat too much over a handful of slots. It is AWESOME that we are in the Top-Ten which means if we take care of business we will be a seed for the playoffs. Regardless, I hope our players will not be distracted by the 'rat poison' of praise and will simply work hard, stay focused, and KICK ASS!!! Go Dins!!!
gman84, 'Din Djarin, FUpaladin08 and 4 others liked this
 #73929  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:29 pm
HB88 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:45 am
While the pre-season love is nice (and novel), I don't sweat too much over a handful of slots. It is AWESOME that we are in the Top-Ten which means if we take care of business we will be a seed for the playoffs. Regardless, I hope our players will not be distracted by the 'rat poison' of praise and will simply work hard, stay focused, and KICK ASS!!! Go Dins!!!
Players need to focus on Playing. Coaches need to focus on Coaching.

The rest of us can focus on free-range fig farming or our own original origami. Or we can RAIL against the disrespect that SoCon Teams have received from FCS Pollsters, Prognosticators, and Pundits since Appy and GaSou hit the road to irrelevance over a decade ago.

If the ‘work’ of these (mostly) non-Football people didn’t matter, railing against it would be tantamount to emulating the work of Head Coach DonQ and his Asst HC Panza. But FUBeAR has been paying close attention over this decade and he has come to realize 2 ‘hidden truths’ which have suppressed (perhaps oppressed) the positive outcomes available to SoCon Teams and to the Furman Football Team.

1) The current Playoff system (byes, Home fields, etc) all but ensures that seeded Teams will make the Quarterfinals, while also all but ensuring that the top 4 seeds will make the semi-finals, and the top 2 will be in the Championship game. This is not a ‘perfect reality,’ but it is a statistical reality. It is a Triple- or Quadruple-stacked deck that FUBeAR has learned is aptly described as “structural determinism.”

2) The Playoff Selection Committee IS influenced, heavily influenced IFBO, by Polls, Prognostications, and Punditry. Their selections of Teams to the field, their selection of Seeded Teams, and their ordering of the Seeded Teams aligns more with these 3P’s than it does with logical assessment of W’s & L’s - outside of the prior year(s) Playoff results…which, as previously noted, were shaped (to some meaningful degree - exactly how much is impossible to assess, but it is definitely greater than 0) by structural determinism.

The crimes of 10-1 / 10-0 FCS Samford being a #6 Seed last year (when they should have been a #1 or #2 Seed) and 10-1 ETSU being a #7 Seed in 2021 (when they should have been Top 4) prove the above…as did both of these Teams losing to NDSU, which, in 2022, for example, at 9-2 with only 1 very low Top 25 win on their resume, did not deserve to be the #3 Seed.

Of course, SoCon Teams need to “prove it on the field,” but if the only opportunity to do so is provided while playing with a Triple- or Quadruple-stacked deck, that’s just not going to happen very often. The SoCon is better than the Big Sky, far better than the CAA, and catching up to the MVFC…but all these ‘old guard’ ever talk about - STILL!! - is how down the SoCon is since Appy and GaSou took all their Nat’l Championship Flags and moved to Irrelevant Island. It’s stupid.

FUBeAR will continue to rage against these miscreants and sure welcomes any help from any FU and/or SoCon fans. DigitalWar is Hell…but you’ll survive. Guaranteed … just like the Big Sky getting 3 or more undeserved Seeds.
 #73958  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:43 pm
AstroDin wrote:

A few things:

1. I'm pretty confident Furman is a top 10 team. They were a top 10 team last year and are arguably better this year. Furman played to the final whistle and should have beaten the #3 team in the country last year on the road. So, Furman is definitely in the conversation.

2. When you look at the programs that have really been the class of the FCS the past few years (SDSU, Montana State, NDSU, etc.) you see a number of common things - (1) physical run game, (2) physical defense, (3) dual threat QBs. Furman has built itself like those western schools.

3. I don't know how good William and Mary is, but the Tribe lost to Elon last season. I saw how overmatched Elon was against Furman. It wasn't even one of those "we had an off day" games for Elon. They were overmatched at every position.

4. Regardless of how good Furman might be, pollsters are going to look for any reason to dock them in the rankings. Furman should be favored in every game they play but USC. They've got to handle their business and make it easy to keep them in one of those top 4 slots.

5. It's a disadvantage, but I'd love for Furman to be the team to go to Fargo or Brookins and knock off one of those teams in the playoffs.
'Din Djarin liked this
 #73971  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:38 am
Thinking some about the offense and TE use.

I think you have to go back 10+ seasons to find a real vertical threat at TE - Colin Anderson. Miller was an excellent player for us, but would do most of his damage with quick route running and beating you to the edge with his speed.

Anderson was a big guy (6’4 240) that Furman would use both in line and flexed out. He was frequently used to stress the defense vertically, running either up the seam or often to the corner depending on coverage. Found a film on YouTube that pretty well highlights how Furman would utilize him. In terms of recent Furman TEs, maybe only Andy Schumpert would really stress teams vertically. Miller was much more of a clinician inside of 10 yards.

This can do a lot for the offense. It’ll force the defense to stay honest with their safeties and make them think twice about adding more men in the box. It’ll lessen the numbers they can throw against the run. It’ll also create more space underneath for Harris/Dean to get loose.
AstroDin liked this
 #73972  by AstroDin
 Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:13 am
Now imagine Pline 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier — and as athletic as Anderson - scary thought for FCS defenses.